Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I drove in this morning from Kyle to North Austin. Roads were not bad at all. Flyovers were closed though.
We can usually hear the traffic on 183A at our house. Today it's as quiet as a military formation when the sergeant asks for volunteers... Cedar Park PD posted on Facebook that there have been numerous accidents on overpasses already. And since we are retired, and don't HAVE to get out, we're just going to enjoy being inside today...
Sponsored

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are on the brake pedal, so yes.
You are on the brake pedal, so yes.
Thanks, I am still waiting on my Hybrid order so I was not aware exactly how that works. So is there any engine hold back when off throttle or free coasting? My EB has great engine braking which saves on brake pads but could also cause people to be less aware of my speed changes in the absence of brake lights.

Bry@n

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick XL, F150, Bronco
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

He can definite swap the mirror, nobody will know. The truck will be sent to an auction. Nobody will be saying anything as long as he has a mirror to put back.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hope you are OK. . . What is it about people rear ending Mavericks anyway? It seems to be common.

My theory is that the hybrid version slows faster (regen braking) than most vehicles do just by letting off the gas. Unless the brake lights come while regen braking is happening, people who are not paying as much attention as they should, don't notice you have slowed down and bad things happen.

I have not driven our hybrid at night yet, so I can't verify if the brake lights come on during regen braking. . . . Ford calls it regen 'braking' so why wouldn't the brake lights come on?

Sorry for your trouble. Put feelers out to dealers in a wide circle around you. Folks are able to snag a Maverick that was refused/declined when it arrived at the dealership. . . That's how I got mine.
I need to verify what the Maverick does.
But my Chevy Bolt EV had a deceleration meter. Anything above 0.3 G and the brake lights came on (during regen) so the procedure to do it exists.

DC 51 Mav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My Insurance company paid 25K to repair my Truck and I have no regrets as to having it repaired instead of being totaled except for the 3 months time getting parts and doing repairs.

Ford Maverick Mothercuddler! Truck is likely a write-off from being rear-ended 20220930_192546

Ford Maverick Mothercuddler! Truck is likely a write-off from being rear-ended 20221015_215716

Sponsored

Fcnrwy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry to see this. Have always been keeping one eye in the mirror at stops, even with my 3rd Gen Ranger. The unibody has been the only dislike on my Area 51 ECO. On finding a replacement, if yours is a Area 51, Hy FWD. A DEALER northern IN has one at MSRP... 24.3?

Suzukiridr14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1956 THunderbird , 2016 Acura MDX (Wifes car)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Good point, Does the regen braking illuminate the brake lights too?
I'm pretty sure the brake lights only come on when you hit the brake pedal, otherwise everytime you take your foot off the gas pedal while on a highway, the cars behind you would hit there brakes, and have to reset there cruise control, then give you the finger!

OP
OP
dan51

dan51

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav XL (RIP), '22 Velocity Blue Mav XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the replies, all-- still stings, but I have leads on a few low mileage used ones that might be a good replacement. Only trouble might be the colour-- I came to really like the Area 51.

And as for questions re: braking, I'm not sure about all that, but I was at a dead stop and the dude was likely diddling his phone/self. The collision alarm sure woke me up.

I don't think the regen has anything to do with more rear-enders, as the deceleration isn't much slower or sudden than any other vehicle.

sanpablo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Shelby GT500, 1999 Ford Windstar
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

fahrfrompuken

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the replies, all-- still stings, but I have leads on a few low mileage used ones that might be a good replacement. Only trouble might be the colour-- I came to really like the Area 51.

And as for questions re: braking, I'm not sure about all that, but I was at a dead stop and the dude was likely diddling his phone/self. The collision alarm sure woke me up.

I don't think the regen has anything to do with more rear-enders, as the deceleration isn't much slower or sudden than any other vehicle.
So sorry about your loss. I hope you end up on the positive end of this financially.

Sponsored

gaken

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot 🌶 Pepper Red Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
all this has me thinking of a motorcycle strobe style brake light for the high mount

You are thinking like me.

Go to the Kahtec website. I have already installed a blinking high mounted brake light on my hybrid Lariat. There are many variations offered. I bought the Intelligent version and am satisfied.

I will add, I had one on a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid many years ago and it was highly visible and never burned out. (And knock on wood I never got rear ended). However, if the driver behind you is looking at their phone - all bets are off).

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think the brake lights come on just by letting off the gas pedal while in "L".
I don't know about that, but what I do know is that if I have adaptive cruise on and I reduce the speed say 20 mph slower. It does do the auto regeneration braking and the brakes lights do indeed come on. I wondered about it myself so had someone follow me and so that is how I confirmed it.

fahrfrompuken

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't know about that, but what I do know is that if I have adaptive cruise on and I reduce the speed say 20 mph slower. It does do the auto regeneration braking and the brakes lights do indeed come on. I wondered about it myself so had someone follow me and so that is how I confirmed it.
I see. Maybe the adaptive cruise is the difference. I have an XLT with no adaptive cruise and the brake lights are not coming on in "L" with letting off the gas pedal.

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see. Maybe the adaptive cruise is the difference. I have an XLT with no adaptive cruise and the brake lights are not coming on in "L" with letting off the gas pedal.
Yep it is the adaptive cruise because I just tried taking my foot off the gas and no brake lights come on. But if I reduce the speed via the adaptive cruise control the brake light does in fact come on. I was running and errand and had to find out as I was curious too.

fahrfrompuken

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yep it is the adaptive cruise because I just tried taking my foot off the gas and no brake lights come on. But if I reduce the speed via the adaptive cruise control the brake light does in fact come on. I was running and errand and had to find out as I was curious too.
Thank you for confirming.

People might not be happy behind me because I slow down and no brake lights come on. Not much I can do about it though.
Sponsored