Sponsored

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
Ford's Maverick Is A Conquest King, 60% Of Buyers Coming From Other Brands | Carscoops

Ford’s Maverick Is A Conquest King, 60% Of Buyers Coming From Other Brands

Conquest buyers are highly sought-after as once an automaker brings a customer into the fold, it’s easier to keep them buying their products.

With that in mind, Ford is celebrating the successful launch of the Maverick which has been embraced by conquest buyers. Citing data from S&P Global Mobility, the automaker told us that 60% of Maverick customers have come from rival brands. That’s an impressive accomplishment and the company noted they’re pulling customers away from Toyota, Honda, and Chevrolet.

All three brands lack a competitor to the 2022 Maverick, which starts at $19,995 and comes standard with a hybridized 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine producing a combined output of 191 hp (142 kW / 194 PS). More importantly, the model returns 42 mpg city, 33 mpg highway, and 37 mpg combined, which is unheard of for a pickup.

While the hybrid variant is front-wheel drive only, the Maverick’s optional 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder can be backed up by an available all-wheel drive system. The engine increases the base price to $21,080 but that still undercuts larger, mid-size pickups by a huge margin.

Given the affordable pricing, it’s not surprising that Maverick buyers tend to be relatively young. More than a third of customers are under 44 years old and it’s not hard to imagine a number of parents buying the truck for their children.

As for the Maverick’s top markets, they’re California, Texas, Michigan, and Florida. Texas and Michigan aren’t much of a surprise, but California and Florida are notable as previous studies have shown trucks aren’t quite as popular there.
Sponsored

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
The dealer I purchased from is next door to an automotive assembly plant. (Not Ford) 3 of the 6 orders in front of me were people from that plant.

Whats that tell you!

Bodageta

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Chevrolet K1500, 1989 Corvette Conv
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I guess I would read that as 2/3rds of Maverick buyers are over the age of 44. The trucks are so popular with the older crowd because they have reached the age that they no longer care what people think about them so they no longer feel the need to have a lifted big full size 4wd truck to back up around their buddies bonfire with the tailgate down, they no longer need to take their girlfriend down a dirt road play music loud while dancing in the moonlight. They no longer need to impress girls with a macho truck as they are now married with kids. They also now have a house payment, bills, responsiblities,saving for kids college, saving for family vacations so they no longer have the disposable income they were when they were younger. So, the Maverick is the perfect truck for many older folks and it’s understandable why 2/3 of their buyers are over 44 years of age.

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford stole me away from 23 years of Honda ownership. We'll see how it goes. Let's see if Ford makes me a customer for life. Or...

Maybe Ford ownership will be like one of those situations where it turns into a girly gossip session after a regretful night of drinking, and one girl says to her friend, "Ohmygod, I made a huge mistake last night when I f'ed that guy I brought home!"

Ford, don't be that mistake.

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This comes as no surprise. I'm one of those conquest buyers considering that I traded in a competitor's truck (Toyota Tacoma) for my Maverick. Also, the affordable pricing even fully-loaded is a massive bargain in this massively inflated age we live in now. Not only that, the MSRP's are already expensive enough which made me look away from so many other vehicles such as the new Nissan Frontier or Hyundai Santa Cruz. Ford did a really great job with the Maverick's execution, it just sucks that it came out at a bad time and a good time. A bad time because of the chip shortage preventing a lot of potential or current customers from having one, but also a good time because of high fuel prices and new-car prices.

On a side note, the Florida demographic shouldn't be that much of a surprise. " but California and Florida are notable as previous studies have shown trucks aren’t quite as popular there." Are you kidding me? Have you ever been to Florida in your life? Trucks are everywhere around here! Get outta here with that noise!

Sponsored

NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This comes as no surprise. I'm one of those conquest buyers considering that I traded in a competitor's truck (Toyota Tacoma) for my Maverick. Also, the affordable pricing even fully-loaded is a massive bargain in this massively inflated age we live in now. Not only that, the MSRP's are already expensive enough which made me look away from so many other vehicles such as the new Nissan Frontier or Hyundai Santa Cruz. Ford did a really great job with the Maverick's execution, it just sucks that it came out at a bad time and a good time. A bad time because of the chip shortage preventing a lot of potential or current customers from having one, but also a good time because of high fuel prices and new-car prices.

On a side note, the Florida demographic shouldn't be that much of a surprise. " but California and Florida are notable as previous studies have shown trucks aren’t quite as popular there." Are you kidding me? Have you ever been to Florida in your life? Trucks are everywhere around here! Get outta here with that noise!
Yeah, I don't agree with the FL comment - especially the northern part of the State.

1stNewFordTruck

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 1500, 2012 Dodge Journey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Volusia County resident here. Trucks are huge in Florida!
To the OP's point, I'm downsizing from a 1/2 ton Ram.

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm a male under 44 in Florida and coming from Hondas and Toyotas for the last 20 years. I definitely fit all those demos. Wanted a hybrid pickup for the longest so didn't waste time.

StillWaiting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, I don't agree with the FL comment - especially the northern part of the State.
I’m in south FL and we have trucks everywhere. Not idea where that idea came from

Reactions: NDL

JibbersCrabst

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sponsored

DeanR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback Tundra F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes over 44 here. Had a very young fellow employee look at my maverick and chuckle called it a tonka toy. I asked what kind of gas mileage he got with his big tired F350 he said 9. I said I average 30ish now, so who is the dumbass here? We will both put on 40K plus this year.

Bodageta

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Chevrolet K1500, 1989 Corvette Conv
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
LOL Watch it buddy! That would be me. Except moonlight starts around 7:30 pm these days and I still need the 4WD Duramax that is on order also. I bought my first car in 1974 and being a multi-car family for all these years, I have probably owned well over 30 different vehicles. Believe it or not, I have never owned a Ford product. No reason - just pure coincidence. I am hoping that this new Maverick really is the perfect truck - for when I get old that is. Of course, it has been on order now for 11 months so I probably will be.
That’s awesome. I would love to have a new duramax diesel. I’m a Chevrolet guy. I’ve owned 6 or so Corvettes and 4 or so Chevrolet trucks. I currently have a 1995 Z-71 which I love and a Corvette. But the Maverick is the wise responsible thing to do for a guy with a daughter starting college in five years and tons of household bills and an 82 mile round trip commute each day. I’m not really ready to give up my younger ways but trying to be economical. I can’t pay $50-$70k for a truck though and pay for the gas. I did also reserve a Silverado EV just this week. The work truck version for $40k might work financially if not buying gas. I ordered my Maverick Hybrid Oct 6. I feel like it will never get scheduled. Good luck with yours. I can relate to you.

Driverdown13

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here we go been waiting for someone to manufacture a hybrid truck just didn’t think ford would be the one. I’m 60+ owned a ford courier for those who don’t know that’s a mini truck then a Chevy s-10 then a ford ranger when they discontinued those lines went to SUV’s always liked the mini trucks. However ordered July 9th 2021 finally got a build date the week of June 27th 2022. Cactus green hybrid, XLT, co-pilot 360, soft fold bed cover, spray in bed liner, moon roof, luxury package protective film hood & fenders, thief hinge lock, all weather floor mats.
Sponsored