Sponsored

Minnesota Mavericks: Your experience in the woods, cities, snow and ice

more0196

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Just wanted to start a thread for those who live in or near Minnesota and your experiences with the Maverick and our weather, roads, and general lifestyle; urban, rural, woods and in between. Also, any tips or tricks for care and maintenance.
Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ope.

It's been mostly the local buying experience so far. In my experience, the hybrid has performed very well in the snowstorms we've had in the Twin Cities since late December (when I got it). I've loved it in the city, loved it on a road trip to the north shore, and loved it hauling a load of firewood from a buddy's land out by Marine on St Croix.

lcmaxfield

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Clubs

I've only been driving mine for a week now, but I have been pleasantly surprised with how it has handled the snow and ice. I drove back to the cities from Bemidji through the storm last night and I didn't slip and slide once. I did notice that with the blowing snow, my collision sensors kept getting iced over/throwing codes and telling me that it was turned off, but it never affected how it drove. I drive about 90% on the highways here and it has been nothing but a comfortable drive. The heated steering wheel is just a game changer in our weather. I plan on towing a couple sleds to the cabin this weekend so I'm excited to see how it handles a moderate tow.

The FX4 has been a breath of fresh air. Coming with slippery mode, it makes driving on our icy roads an effortless thing. I will also add that the headlights are pretty solid. The auto high-beams are a little too jumpy, I need to find a way to disable that feature. One thing you may want to watch out for is the recoil on your seat belt. Mine really whips back and I've already scuffed the interior plastic on my driver door.

I don't have a ton of miles under my belt yet, but aside from a couple minor annoyances, it handles everything well so far.

CharlieR

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Ope.

It's been mostly the local buying experience so far. In my experience, the hybrid has performed very well in the snowstorms we've had in the Twin Cities since late December (when I got it). I've loved it in the city, loved it on a road trip to the north shore, and loved it hauling a load of firewood from a buddy's land out by Marine on St Croix.
Been loving mine too. How has your gas mileage been? I know it has been cold but, I'm averaging only about 30 mpg in my hybrid lariat. Mixed freeway and city driving.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Been loving mine too. How has your gas mileage been? I know it has been cold but, I'm averaging only about 30 mpg in my hybrid lariat. Mixed freeway and city driving.
It definitely depends. I got about 35mpg on a weekend trip to Grand Marais in January. My last 3/4 tank was 30 mpg, but that was almost all cold start short trips (a lot of dropping/picking up the kid at school). I've had some 8-10 mile trips with a warm engine that I've got 45-50mpg. Not too worried since I'd regularly get 25mpg or less during the winter in my Corolla. Can't wait to see the mileage in the warm weather.

Sponsored

zakstang

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just picked up my temporary maverick a couple days ago...my order will arrive who knows when but I needed a vehicle...anyway I have about 300miles on with 180 of those being the trip home from dealer... bucking a pretty strong head/quartering wind running 75ish I got 25mpg....

love the truck so far and I think I made a great choice in ordering a mav...gas cover likes to open on its own once in a while...noticed it twice now...have yet to drive in normal MN winter weather but I imagine from what I have read it will be fine....seem to be averaging about 25mpg in town so far the last couple days stop and go driving....so I imagine 30 is probably going to be highway mpg in normal non-windy 65-70mph driving...i didnt notice any hood shake driving back from dealer that others have mentioned nor did wind noise seem out of ordinary for the conditions I drove in.... going down the road it rides pretty smooth....

so far so good!!

Smack

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well I found you all!
I picked my Black LXT FX4 March 23, 2022, I'm just south of Minneapolis. I'm getting 26-27 MPG, coming from a Jeep that's a real nice increase in mileage. For me AWD is important I drive in the snow more than most so the GE was not an option.

Smack

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In cold months mileage goes down by 1-2 MPG it's normal. There is not as much humidity in the air so the compression in the cylinders is not as great. When it's humid you will find a little bit more mileage.

Smack

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've not driven much in snow so far just a few flakes in April really. On the road it's good I'm not getting much out of town driving at this point.

Sponsored

Flyangler

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just wanted to start a thread for those who live in or near Minnesota and your experiences with the Maverick and our weather, roads, and general lifestyle; urban, rural, woods and in between. Also, any tips or tricks for care and maintenance.
Kind of slimy out there today. Did a micro-fishtail coming around an exit ramp from the freeway. Using the stock XL wheels and tires.

MAGPLM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands & 2023 Maverick AWD FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Still waiting for mine. Build date for Dec 12. Until then I just have my 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands to play with. lol But can't wait to get mine for sure.

Smack

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have an XLT with the Pirelli tires and it seems good in the snow so far. I ski so I'll be hitting the roads two or three times a week.
Sponsored