First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like it compares a Hybrid Maverick to a Honda Civic. Both had CVT transmissions. FYI, Here are some specs they found

........................ Mav ---- Civic
weight........... 3720 --- 2906
engine............ 2.5+elect ---- 2.0
HP ................. 191 ---- 158
0-30mph sec... 2.9 ---- 3.5
0-60 sec ........... 7.7 ---- 8.8
1/4-mile sec ... 15.9 ---- 16.9
top speed....... 110 limtd --- 125 est
sound 70mph... 67db --- 72db
300ft skidpad.... .81g ---- .87g
braking 70-0.... 158ft 170ft

Image by @bighap

Ford Maverick May 2022 Car and Driver issue has Maverick article w/ comparison against Civic [tested numbers] pxl_20220502_021728879-
Sponsored

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like it compares a Hybrid Maverick to a Honda Civic. Both had CVT transmissions. FYI, Here are some specs they found

........................ Mav ---- Civic
weight........... 3720 --- 2906
engine............ 2.5+elect ---- 2.0
HP ................. 191 ---- 158
0-30mph sec... 2.9 ---- 3.5
0-60 sec ........... 7.7 ---- 8.8
1/4-mile sec ... 15.9 ---- 16.9
top speed....... 110 limtd --- 125 est
sound 70mph... 67db --- 72db
300ft skidpad.... .81g ---- .87g
braking 70-0.... 158ft 170ft
It's interesting because Ford said from the beginning (June 2021) that it is comparing the hybrid to the Civic, so C&D is just taking what most owners, and would be owners know.

But in all reality, how can a truck compare to a car (in general)? AND Civic owners are not really trading in their car for a Maverick.

Thanks for the info.

OP
OP

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's interesting because Ford said from the beginning (June 2021) that it is comparing the hybrid to the Civic, so C&D is just taking what most owners, and would be owners know.

But in all reality, how can a truck compare to a car (in general)? AND Civic owners are not really trading in their car for a Maverick.

Thanks for the info.
I did, my last car was a civic.

I had a 2002 Sport Trac short bed 4 door Ford I bought used and kept it 12 years. Liked it but hated the mpg and rode motorcycles when I could to save gas. Then I wanted a change. Bought a 2016 Volt and built a little trailer and put a hitch on the Volt. To me the combo worked like a truck when I needed it too. Then 3 years later I hear about the Maverick. Ordered one in Sept. Sold the Volt to Carvana within a month for way more than dealer would have given me.

To that point I had a truck, went to a car with trailer that allowed me to haul things that I was used to hauling in my Sport Track. So yes, I was comparing a car with trailer to a pickup truck. For small stuff, the hatchback Volt hauled the typical Costco 300.00 load (lol).

So while waiting on the Mav, a family member who had been given a 2005 Honda Civic said I could use it, or buy it and gave me the pink slip signed off. While I had the Civic, I detailed it, fixed a wheel bearing and changed the timing belt. It had 78k miles on it is all. When my truck came in I did not trade the Civic but sold it for a whopping 6600.00. Don't think the dealer would have offered that to me. I gave the family member the money and she shared some with me.

So you see I had a choice to keep a cream puff Civic good for 150k more miles at least and could do big Costco runs or I put the trailer on it for hauling big stuff like motorcycles like I did with my Volt and Sport Trac and owe nothing or take my new truck that came in 97 days from order.

Love my Maverick.

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I had a 2002 Sport Trac short bed 4 door Ford I bought used and kept it 12 years. Liked it but hated the mpg and rode motorcycles when I could to save gas. Then I wanted a change. Bought a 2016 Volt and built a little trailer and put a hitch on the Volt. To me the combo worked like a truck when I needed it too. Then 3 years later I hear about the Maverick. Ordered one in Sept. Sold the Volt to Carvana within a month for way more than dealer would have given me.

To that point I had a truck, went to a car with trailer that allowed me to haul things that I was used to hauling in my Sport Track. So yes, I was comparing a car with trailer to a pickup truck. For small stuff, the hatchback Volt hauled the typical Costco 300.00 load (lol).

So while waiting on the Mav, a family member who had been given a 2005 Honda Civic said I could use it, or buy it and gave me the pink slip signed off. While I had the Civic, I detailed it, fixed a wheel bearing and changed the timing belt. It had 78k miles on it is all. When my truck came in I did not trade the Civic but sold it for a whopping 6600.00. Don't think the dealer would have offered that to me. I gave the family member the money and she shared some with me.

So you see I had a choice to keep a cream puff Civic good for 150k more miles at least and could do big Costco runs or I put the trailer on it for hauling big stuff like motorcycles like I did with my Volt and Sport Trac and owe nothing or take my new truck that came in 97 days from order.

Love my Maverick.
Great story. Thank you.

Clark6

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Buick GrandNational 1996 Chevy Silverado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was heading to the dealership to buy a civic.... after waiting decided on the HRV.... after I saw one commercial on youtube of the Maverick.. I showed the wife said why dont you get a truck she gave me that look!! I said serious look at Gabriel Union she's driving it lol. we just had to wait a little longer & got the Maverick..hit a Home Run in our eyes the mpg is even better than the civic from what we are experiencing...43.1 mpg....

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thanks for the info.
I 100% traded in my civic for a Maverick and think many others will. it just makes sense.

bighap

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For those who prefer photos.

Ford Maverick May 2022 Car and Driver issue has Maverick article w/ comparison against Civic [tested numbers] PXL_20220502_021728879

Beegrn

First Name
Beth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda

Thanks for the info.

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thanks for the info.
I disagree. I have had 3 civics, two of which were purchased new. My vehicle before the Maverick was a Honda Fit. I was cross shopping the Maverick with SUVs as well as cars. The Maverick just made too much sense for $23,990 hybrid XLT compared to similar money towards a Civic or Corolla.

Sponsored

glpuckett

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick FE Rapid Red 2.5L Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks for the info.
I

Love my Maverick.
I did as well!!

I was originally going to trade in my 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid (2+ years ago) for another Honda Accord or other hybrid sedan, but covid put a pause in my plans. Just when I was decided I was leaning toward a used "Cross-over SUV" the Maverick was being announced... It took me 2 weeks reading what I could find before I was all in and ordered my Mav Hybrid F.E. rapid red in June'21. It took 8 months to get it, and I'm loving everything about it!

MtcARK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thanks for the info.
I traded in a 2020 Nissan Versa (which is really the same as a base Honda Civic) for my Maverick Hybrid. So some people are doing it. ... I was averaging 40.2 MPG in the Versa, and now I am averaging about 44 MPG in the Maverick.

Last edited:

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Because while the Maverick is styled like a truck and marketed as a truck, its not really a truck-truck. In its bones, the Maverick is a passenger vehicle with a bed that blurs the line between the categories, a boxy styled modern version of the Ford Ranchero, and is based on the Escape crossover accordingly.

I wouldn't say a Civic is a direct competitor, but its capable of fulfilling the functionality of a Civic in typical commuting capability and is plenty easy to get in and out of and while the back seats can't fold down like a Civic hatchback the bed is long enough that it doesn't matter and can be used just like a trunk too.

I'd argue the closest competitor to the Maverick, aside from the Santa Cruz obviously, would be other crossovers, and in particular the Ford Escape.

An Escape hybrid SE has the same infotainment, the same steering wheel, the same engine and transmission, same gauge cluster, same shifter, same chassis, slightly less tow capacity, and while you lose the bed you do gain the practical box shape of a crossover where you can fold the seats down if needed to fit quite a bit in a secure cabin, and the perks are a slightly more comfy ride, more rear passenger room with more seatback recline, probably less wind noise, better highway fuel economy, and easier parking since its quite a bit shorter in particular parallel parking if you're in a dense city like Austin. The problem of course is the styling is way too swoopy for most guy's taste, and while the Bronco Sport addresses that and is much more like the Maverick, it doesn't come in hybrid yet.

For me personally, thanks to problems ordering at or under MSRP of anything I want, I'm currently twiddling my thumbs waiting for either a '23 Maverick Lariat Hybrid, an announcement of any changes to the '23 Santa Cruz (like a hybrid), or a '23 Kia Sportage hybrid as more efficient tools to get me around than my current Ram 1500 which is overkill for what we generally use it for (commuting, errands, garden-center/home depot trips, and towing a motorcycle or other moderate trailer).

UnTruck

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Layne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Pilot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid