2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Watching world events these days is kind of like being in a horror movie you didn't buy a ticket for -- and you can't leave the theater! Between tanking markets, wars, inflation, energy crisis, etc., it's all enough to make any family wonder what's next.

So, with that said, I had an interesting question as I thought about still unscheduled Maverick order and the likelihood of being pushed to MY23. If current world and economic events continue on the current trajectory, do you think the Maverick will remain a red hot vehicle that simply can't be found at MSRP? Or, will so many people be struggling that car lot inventories gradually replenish and there are more new vehicles out there than people who can afford to buy them?

I don't claim to know the answer, or be able to predict the future. All I will say is that given current economic uncertainties, it is at least a consideration to hold onto my reserve of cash (large down payment) as a hedge against an emergency rather than using all on a new truck if it's going to take another 6-12 months to arrive. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, but I can't be the only one who thinks about these sorts of things. Curious as to what everyone thinks...
Sponsored

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
Watching world events these days is kind of like being in a horror movie you didn't buy a ticket for -- and you can't leave the theater! Between tanking markets, wars, inflation, energy crisis, etc., it's all enough to make any family wonder what's next.

So, with that said, I had an interesting question as I thought about still unscheduled Maverick order and the likelihood of being pushed to MY23. If current world and economic events continue on the current trajectory, do you think the Maverick will remain a red hot vehicle that simply can't be found at MSRP? Or, will so many people be struggling that car lot inventories gradually replenish and there are more new vehicles out there than people who can afford to buy them?

I don't claim to know the answer, or be able to predict the future. All I will say is that given current economic uncertainties, it is at least a consideration to hold onto my reserve of cash (large down payment) as a hedge against an emergency rather than using all on a new truck if it's going to take another 6-12 months to arrive. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, but I can't be the only one who thinks about these sorts of things. Curious as to what everyone thinks...
I was wondering some of the same things. Found this web site that answered some of my questions..

80 Interesting Car Buying Statistics & Trends | Find The Best Car Price

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm ordering on August 15 because why not? Doesn't cost anything with no obligation to buy. Then I have at least a year or maybe longer for the truck to come in to see how thing pan out in the interim. If I decide not to take it, I do the dealer a favor.

My truck is 17 1/2 years old and not going to run forever. Then again, neither am I. Maybe I'll take bets on which one drops first. :ROFLMAO:

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think this is the reason ford hasnt built entirely new factories for the maverick just yet. Ford is good at surviving. The lower class cant afford new cars the upper class can afford more than ever. The middle class is what the mav was designed for.

Last edited:

Sponsored

teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Honestly, I'm ordering on the 15th anyway because my Jeep is a POS and needs to get replaced. And not just for gas mileage reasons- the repairs I'd ultimately need to make would be more than half a brand new Maverick. And I really want a manufacturer warranty for a change.

PA-Homesteader

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'm ordering on August 15 because why not? Doesn't cost anything with no obligation to buy. Then I have at least a year or maybe longer for the truck to come in to see how thing pan out in the interim. If I decide not to take it, I do the dealer a favor.

My truck is 17 1/2 years old and not going to run forever. Then again, neither am I. Maybe I'll take bets on which one drops first. :ROFLMAO:
This is where I'm at

Snowbird

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV 2018
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Good points! I just changed my mind, thanks fellow Vermonter!

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Regardless of how the economy goes, I'll still have a car payment. The question for me do I trade in my 2018 Escape for a new Maverick or keep the Escape?

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided

I can’t usually predict the future, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night……

I will be genuinely surprised if things are substantially better next year at this time than they are right now. Hybrids and electric vehicles will remain hot for the foreseeable future……..which I cannot foresee anyway, usually.

Sponsored

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm guessing that a recession and widespread economic pain will actually make entry level vehicles like the Maverick experience even greater demand. But who really knows? Is it a recession or a depression? Is it a jobs recession or a demand recession? Economics is bad enough (it's called the "dismal science" for a reason). And when it comes to predicting the future, even PhDs and CEOs rarely get it right. Go to a business news site right now and you'll see 20 articles in which half the gurus say buy and the other half says sell.

MrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thinking about ordering...
Engine
Undecided
Been thinking about this as well. I think real estate is in the same boat since interest rates are going to rise and that tends to drive both car and house prices down. But when rates initially rise, there's a tendencey for buyers to purchase quicker to get a lower interest rate locked-in.

So my prediction is at least 6 more months of high demand and high prices for both cars and real estate followed by a freefall down in prices and lower sales because high interest rates have priced out too many potential buyers.

This is analogous to water-hammer in pipes -- Close a valve quickly at the end of a long pipe run and the pressure rises as the valve shuts. Rising interest rates are like a valve the Fed is closing...

Last edited:

93nighthawk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Transit 150, 97 Aerostar AWD, future XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The chip shortage is not going to get better. Production across all car lines are not going to get better. To return to 'normal,' all car manufactures would need to produce 200% more vehicles for the next 3 years just to return us to 2019 level of vehicles on the road. This is not going to happen.

Should you buy a Maverick? (or any new car?) I can't answer that. It depends on your situation.

In my situation it makes financial sense. I was driving a 20+ year old vehicle, and with the way that prices and interest rates are going (for used and new), this was the best option for me.

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat

You don't have to take the truck but some of these dealers are asking for $1000 non refundable deposits.

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

14 year old truck and insane gas prices are pushing me TOWARD a hybrid Mav, not away.
Sponsored