Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Right on! :)

It's also quite entertaining to see many here get all uptight and dismiss or rejects anyone calling the Maverick tranny a CVT instead of eCVT. Even Ford calls it a CVT on their main page. Despite the mechanical differences both tranny drives similarly and drone similarly under heavy loads. So in practice there isn't likely much differences other than the possibility of improved reliability of the eCVT. I for one bought this vehicle simply on price n fuel economy. I didn't care what kind of CVT it is. Great news that the eCVT might be more reliable but it wouldn't have change my purchase decision.
Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 10.52.27 PM.png
If you look into it, though, Ford does say it's a power split electronic continuously variable transmission.

Ford Maverick Maverick vs Santa Cruz comparison review by Throttle House Screenshot_20211116-014305

Comparing it to a belt or hydraulic CVT is not accurate, educated, or fair.

It's a completely different concept. It'd be like me saying "I don't want another gasoline engine with an automatic transmission because the last two that I owned, one blew up and the other cruised at high RPMs on the highway."

This is true because the last automatic transmissions I drive were a Pontiac V6 something or another (blew up) and a Dodge Ramcharger (high RPM at highway speed). The last two cars I've had have been three pedals 5 speeds. Never mind that those cars with bad automatics were built >20 years ago. They were automatic transmissions, and I didn't like them, so all automatics are bad. 🙄
Sponsored

Vinhnguyen54

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Vinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think James and Thomas were comparing the Mav "CVT' to the Mav 8 speed in terms of driving satisfaction and not mechanical and/or inherent reliability differences. If this assumption is correct then they are not wrong in their assessment as eCVT drives feels similarly to belt driven CVT which are primarily shiftless with drone. Yes Ford does mention PowerSplit CVT but even they do not find it as crucial as the members here to over stress the point that this transmission can only be referred to as "eCVT" as I have provided a screenshot of. Otherwise, they would have been wrong themselves in omitting or misleading by omitting the "e" or the "PowerSplit" designation. But I don't see anyone complaining when Ford does it. So give the reviewers a break is my opinion. It's not the end of the world and it does not make them uneducated.

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
I think James and Thomas were comparing the Mav "CVT' to the Mav 8 speed in terms of driving satisfaction and not mechanical and/or inherent reliability differences. If this assumption is correct then they are not wrong in their assessment as eCVT drives feels similarly to belt driven CVT which are primarily shiftless with drone. Yes Ford does mention PowerSplit CVT but even they do not find it as crucial as the members here to over stress the point that this transmission can only be referred to as "eCVT" as I have provided a screenshot of. Otherwise, they would have been wrong themselves in omitting or misleading by omitting the "e" or the "PowerSplit" designation. But I don't see anyone complaining when Ford does it. So give the reviewers a break is my opinion. It's not the end of the world and it does not make them uneducated.
TBF it was also a like 5 second part of the review lol.

From a driver satisfaction perspective I'll take an 8 speed any day, dual clutch is super nice to have especially in a peppy car but I'm not 100% sure I trust Hyundai to do a dual clutch. Maybe I'm just thinking in the past but that used to be a really cutting edge transmission that Porsche and the like had a hard time perfecting.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From a driver satisfaction perspective I'll take an 8 speed any day, dual clutch is super nice to have especially in a peppy car but I'm not 100% sure I trust Hyundai to do a dual clutch. Maybe I'm just thinking in the past but that used to be a really cutting edge transmission that Porsche and the like had a hard time perfecting.
Not to mention, a DC is not a great choice for loads & towing. That issue will probably get some attention once the reviewers start doing some tow/load tests.

LittleMav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Maverick
Not to mention, a DC is not a great choice for loads & towing. That issue will probably get some attention once the reviewers start doing some tow/load tests.
After driving the SC, that dual clutch is going to be atrocious long term. Well at least if you're in city or stop and go traffic. It tries to up shift the heck out of the engine, there seems to be little torque on the low end so it tries real hard to move its weight when coming from a stop. The transmission is nice for launching or stepping on it, but I'm not a teenager any longer, and I prefer smooth shifts when sitting in traffic.

Sponsored

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After driving the SC, that dual clutch is going to be atrocious long term. Well at least if you're in city or stop and go traffic. It tries to up shift the heck out of the engine, there seems to be little torque on the low end so it tries real hard to move its weight when coming from a stop. The transmission is nice for launching or stepping on it, but I'm not a teenager any longer, and I prefer smooth shifts when sitting in traffic.
There is that. The Hyundai DCT is an unpredictable box of rocks to drive around in town.

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You do realise that these reviewers are dumb, uninformed and biased so yes they do deserve the pushback.

Hopefully a valid review between the two vehicles that shows the strengths and weaknesses will happen but this sure was not one of them.
Correct...
Rarely take advice from children in adult clothes

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

TBF it was also a like 5 second part of the review lol.

Dual clutch isn't so exotic anymore. Heck, even Ford produced one for the focus (which ended in disaster). Hyundai has been putting dual clutch in their N cars for a while with success.

Edit to add: whether the DCT is a successful match in a truck-y application is another story, and unknown to me

Sponsored

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
I took the auto over dc….smooth as glass in shifts unless you get on it

Onip

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Just saw this, and found it interesting.

Edit: Sorry Repost!

Last edited:

Deleted member 14823

...when suddenly, on All Hallow's Eve...all the long dead posts suddenly rose up from their graves! ooooOOOOooooo. 👻

IGNIGNXKT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think we should get every YTer to say the SC is better. Turn in those preorders, people. Get me closer to the finish line.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I hope it discouraged a LOT of potential hybrid drivers, and led them to order EcoBoost instead... 'Cause I'm waiting on two hybrids... 😈
Sponsored