Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 1967 Fairlady
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was wondering what the camera thing they were talking about on the Lariat Lux. I can't find any details. But if they don't know what an eCVT is, I don't have confidence in that piece of info they presented.
Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The only issue I ever have with these reviews and this applies to tech or entertainment reviews, are they way they gloss over things they obviously don't know about. The eCVT is a very good point and the fact that even Hunyadi calls the Santa Crud a "Sports Adventure Vehicle" so even they know it's not a truck! If you don't know information about what you're reviewing then learn more about it before the cameras roll.
Overall the review does point out some good points on each model and I still think that a big part that really sets the two apart is interior and certainly exterior styling! No matter how good looking that Man or Woman is, if they open their mouth and spew nothing but bad things you're not going to befriend them!! Santa Crud is a friend I can't hang out with! :cautious:🤣🤣

My1stFord

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Both the entertainment guys and tech guys get it wrong constantly. That is a problem for people trying to figure out what to buy.

I only learned that it's not the same CVT by visiting this forum.

I am sure there are many that bypassed the hybrid based on this false assumption.
I purchased (or made a deposit on) mine without realizing that it was any different than a typical CVT. I'm really much more of a simple, utilitarian driver. I like some creature comforts but am much more interested in gas mileage and a bed. For that simple reason, this truck is a perfect fit for my needs.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While other head-to-head said the ride of the SC was smoother than the Mav, but not here. Hmmm... I think the others were all FX4s and this is not, is that telling us something?

Sponsored

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
The first 30 seconds is the best part of the review. They nail it! lol

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Based upon the sales numbers, I don't think very many bypassed the hybrid for any reason.
Not surprising though, they are pretty elitist. Most of the time they are reviewing Corvette ZR1s, Aston Martin DBXs, and Rolls Royce Ghosts. Only once in a blue moon do they take a break to review something mainstream like an Elantra.

MattIngram

First Name
Deleteme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deleteme
I think they nailed the value proposition. And Maverick, like all Fords emphasize function over form, while Hyundai Santa Cruze emphasize form over function. But the dreaded CV comments may be off and has others have said maybe they’re thinking of older belt driven CVT’s vs ECVT. Maybe they can review the Hybrid to see if that Maverick changes their mind. It sounds like the double clutch has more kinks than they wanted to call out Hyundai on the review. The rolling back on a hill, when stopping would certainly freak me out, so hard pass on the Santa Cruz. Happy with my maverick order.

sseiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV 4 XSE
HAHA, they said the Santa Cruz looks good! Whew, to each their own, I suppose. Even if I could get past the 💩 gas mileage, WTF is going on with the grill and WTF is going on with the whole body shape.

Thanks, Hyundai, for making the Santa Cruz not even mildly tempting.🤣😂🤣

Sponsored

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm hoping to line up a Santa Cruz and Maverick at the same time, but very hard in our limited PHX press fleet. Having driven them both briefly and crawled around in them briefly I think that there are a lot of positive and negatives you can say about both.

The Maverick is built to a lower cost point, so it has a cheaper interior in the palette of materials for example - not an opinion but a fact. It has less creature comforts standard and less high-end options like leather seating and larger screens on the infotainment system. It cannot tow as much as the Santa Cruz, and is not available with as much power. The Maverick is more basic, more conservative.

Hyundai offers more standard features inside and out, and a few more upscale pleasures to option. The Santa Cruz has better interior quality of matierials, fit and finish, and availability of higher end options like audio/infotainment is there. It costs more however but was designed to. The most honest assessment is that it's a more upmarket product on the scale than the Maverick. Santa Cruz definitely has a more daring style and persona.

I considered all these these aspects before making my own buying decision and chose Maverick, not because it might be the best at certain things but because of the price and standard hybrid (nuclear grade compensating factors for lack of upscale vibes). The Hyundai is actually nicer in a lot of ways, but I also value a solidly built basic mode of transportation that sometimes has function over form, and pencils for my business. The Santa Cruz does not do that for my buying priorities.

All that said, I do plan to do a side-by-side as soon as the universe allows. Until then I have an XLT FX4 EcoBoost coming my way around Thanksgiving to do a full review on.

Last edited:

MattIngram

First Name
Deleteme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deleteme
Also, any hybrid buyers out there want to see how one of these hybrids drive. Just look at this review, starting around 13:00 minutes in, only complaint was rpm’s, around 15:25 and he sure did like those electric motors kicking in. Around 15:45 feels just like driving a standard combustion engine. RPM noise is fine with me, when I’m looking to accelerate, it just reminds me that I mean business :)

Last edited:

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I decided to switch to eco because I realized this will mostly be a road trip truck and our other car will be for city driving. The eco only gets a few mpg less hwy than the hybrid. I ordered the awd for camping and ski trips. Plus this 250 hp engine with all wheels spinning in sport mode has to be a lot more fun on the open road.

My mav eco awd 360 4k lux = $30,710 (including shipping). My hybrid 360 lux was going to cost $27,050 (including shipping). I think getting more power with almost as good hwy mpg and better traction in the snow plus better towing toys to the campsite with a 7 pin connector and built-in brake controller is well worth it. This is much better than getting zero extra features by handing a dealer a few thousand $ ADM mark up just to buy a truck off the lot.

Plus, the ecos are not sold out and the wait time should be a lot less.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also, any hybrid buyers out there want to see how one of these hybrids drive. Just look at this review, starting around 13:00 minutes in, only complaint was rpm’s, around 15:25 and he sure did like those electric motors kicking in. Around 15:45 feels just like driving a standard combustion engine. RPM noise is fine with me, when I’m looking to accelerate, it just reminds me that I mean business :)

I agree that the RPM noise is just a great reminder that you're accelerating! 👍

Vinhnguyen54

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Vinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OMG the horror! Every reviewer who says anything negative about the Maverick and/or praises Santa Cruz is dumb/biased/uninformed/on the take (except for in the instances where they praise Maverick, in which case that limited portion of their content is acceptable)!

Right on! :)

It's also quite entertaining to see many here get all uptight and dismiss or rejects anyone calling the Maverick tranny a CVT instead of eCVT. Even Ford calls it a CVT on their main page. Despite the mechanical differences both tranny drives similarly and drone similarly under heavy loads. So in practice there isn't likely much differences other than the possibility of improved reliability of the eCVT. I for one bought this vehicle simply on price n fuel economy. I didn't care what kind of CVT it is. Great news that the eCVT might be more reliable but it wouldn't have change my purchase decision.
Ford Maverick Maverick vs Santa Cruz comparison review by Throttle House Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 10.52.27 PM
Sponsored