FloodingdowninTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have zero u-tube subscriptions. Except I just punched your button. Nice work and I appreciate the entertainment while I wait a few more months for the hybrid. BTW Connor says hi to Beef.

Sponsored

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just getting the ecoboost (55hp increase), AWD and FX4 package with bigger radiator and fan should get at LEAST another 1k towing pounds over a base FWD hybrid Maverick. The rating on an AWD with FX4 should be 3k lbs. Ford was sneaky about this and wants everyone to get the 4k towing pack to get a trailer brake and trans cooler over the FX4 package. There is such a slight difference in rear gear ratios I'm not even going to include that.

Koybot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 A51FE
i'm pretty sure Beef stole the show here :)

audixe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold it for a Maverick
I’ve been watching your videos and really appreciate them! I didn’t add the 4K package and my truck got scheduled last week so only have the FX4 package on it. Which I now feel better about.

I have never towed anything but just wanted to have some piece of mind in case I needed to tow something smaller.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Ford was sneaky about this and wants everyone to get the 4k towing pack to get a trailer brake and trans cooler
Ford did something similar with the 5th gen Explorer. Standard is 2k, but getting the factory tow package ups it to 5k.

I think Ford errs on the side of caution, which I don't blame 'em for. Better to be conservative than be the defendant in another massive lawsuit.

Sponsored

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just getting the ecoboost (55hp increase), AWD and FX4 package with bigger radiator and fan should get at LEAST another 1k towing pounds over a base FWD hybrid Maverick. The rating on an AWD with FX4 should be 3k lbs. Ford was sneaky about this and wants everyone to get the 4k towing pack to get a trailer brake and trans cooler over the FX4 package. There is such a slight difference in rear gear ratios I'm not even going to include that.
You are just guessing. The limitation is transmission temperatures. Since only the 4K tow package provides the transmission cooler running a trailer over the 2K recommendation is risky. Better watch the transmission fluid closely. If it turns brown you will know why.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You are just guessing. The limitation is transmission temperatures. Since only the 4K tow package provides the transmission cooler running a trailer over the 2K recommendation is risky. Better watch the transmission fluid closely. If it turns brown you will know why.
You are the one guessing. The FX4 has a larger radiator and heavy duty fan. Where do you think the transmission fluid goes to be cooled when you dont have a dedicated transmission cooler? It gets cooled by going through the BIGGER radiator cooled by the HEAVY DUTY fan you just got with the FX4 package.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is more to pulling than power............a Mustang COULD pull a 10k pound trailer......stopping it is a whole norther world

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is more to pulling than power............a Mustang COULD pull a 10k pound trailer......stopping it is a whole norther world
Most states only require trailers weighing over 3000lbs to have trailer brakes. Thats why Ford should have bumped fhe FX4 towing to 2900 or 3000lbs.

Last edited:

spacemancraig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
You are the one guessing. The FX4 has a larger radiator and heavy duty fan. Where do you think the transmission fluid goes to be cooled when you dont have a dedicated transmission cooler? It gets cooled by going through the BIGGER radiator cooled by the HEAVY DUTY fan you just got with the FX4 package.
Edit: foot meet mouth. I'll leave this here as a reminder to myself to not reply like an asshole. The real answer is there's a dedicated line running through the fins. I (moronically) didn't think of that. My bad.

How does that work? Engine coolant (antifreeze) is running through the radiator, then...what? It mixes and separates the transmission fluid to cool it also?

No, that's moronic.

Perhaps there's a valve that shuts off engine coolant flow momentarily to run transmission fluid through it?

No, also ridiculous.

Please explain how this could work.

I don't want to guess.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.