First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 XLT, Eco, AWD, FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Damn near close! I didn't get 360 as I heard that was a major constraint for last year and they were expecting it to be a constraint again for the MY23 year, also didn't get the block heater as here in VA it doesn't get nearly cold enough to necessitate one. Still, here's hoping we get scheduled sooner rather than later. I don't think the winter season will be bad here this year, but I'd really like to have my Mav before we get a major snow. Driving my RWD 86 in the snow last year was a harrowing experience to say the least. And it wasn't even that bad of a snow.
I flip flopped on adding 360 until the last minute. A couple days before I ordered I rode in my brothers new Corolla and it had the alert for backing out of a parking spot. This is farm country and most everyone drives big lifted rigs. Can't see a damn thing backing out of a parking spot. Figured screw it, I'll add it and take my chances. For the price, block heater was a no brainier for me. I like to plug everything in once it drops into the teens. Anything to increase longevity on a rig. We usually get about three months of below 20 and a month of zero or below. About three years ago we had a really bad winter where we hit -35 for about a week with highs never getting above 0. Nobody's stuff would start. Suddenly I wasn't so stupid for adding block heaters to all my rigs. Haha! I hope we get scheduled soon as well. Feel bad for the cancelled people still waiting but at the same time I want mine. My Dodge pickup does fine in the snow but it's starting to need a bunch of work. Just hoping it holds out till something gets built so I can park it for a few days and do some major repairs. It went from 16-20 mpg down to 12 currently. Mileage is killing me. I ordered a Bronco Sport for the wife 5 days after the Mav and it finally got scheduled last week for 1-9. If that shows up I'll swipe it from her and work on the Dodge but I'd prefer to just have the Mav and not be driving a damn SUV around.
Sponsored

Lordran_Hollow

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota 86 860 Edition
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I flip flopped on adding 360 until the last minute. A couple days before I ordered I rode in my brothers new Corolla and it had the alert for backing out of a parking spot. This is farm country and most everyone drives big lifted rigs. Can't see a damn thing backing out of a parking spot. Figured screw it, I'll add it and take my chances. For the price, block heater was a no brainier for me. I like to plug everything in once it drops into the teens. Anything to increase longevity on a rig. We usually get about three months of below 20 and a month of zero or below. About three years ago we had a really bad winter where we hit -35 for about a week with highs never getting above 0. Nobody's stuff would start. Suddenly I wasn't so stupid for adding block heaters to all my rigs. Haha! I hope we get scheduled soon as well. Feel bad for the cancelled people still waiting but at the same time I want mine. My Dodge pickup does fine in the snow but it's starting to need a bunch of work. Just hoping it holds out till something gets built so I can park it for a few days and do some major repairs. It went from 16-20 mpg down to 12 currently. Mileage is killing me. I ordered a Bronco Sport for the wife 5 days after the Mav and it finally got scheduled last week for 1-9. If that shows up I'll swipe it from her and work on the Dodge but I'd prefer to just have the Mav and not be driving a damn SUV around.
Yeah the only reason I'd want the 360 would be for the backup sensors, the blind spot detection isn't really that important for me as I always make sure to properly aim my mirrors. The block heater in your case makes sense given how far up north you are, if I were in one of those northern states as well I'd get the block heater as it definitely would be a no brainer.

Same sentiments as you in regards to the cancelled orders, I really do feel bad about it that they've been waiting this long, but I just want the truck as well. I ordered an aftermarket remote start, a tonneau cover, and the drop-in bed liner for my future Maverick just so I can immediately install those (fun note, even though Ford lists it as a pretty major constraint, when I ordered my bed liner it arrived two days after purchase) and not have to worry about having a cold truck or scratching up the bed.

IdahoDirtFarmer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 XLT, Eco, AWD, FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah the only reason I'd want the 360 would be for the backup sensors, the blind spot detection isn't really that important for me as I always make sure to properly aim my mirrors. The block heater in your case makes sense given how far up north you are, if I were in one of those northern states as well I'd get the block heater as it definitely would be a no brainer.

Same sentiments as you in regards to the cancelled orders, I really do feel bad about it that they've been waiting this long, but I just want the truck as well. I ordered an aftermarket remote start, a tonneau cover, and the drop-in bed liner for my future Maverick just so I can immediately install those (fun note, even though Ford lists it as a pretty major constraint, when I ordered my bed liner it arrived two days after purchase) and not have to worry about having a cold truck or scratching up the bed.
Remote start would be nice, but Id never use it here. With farm cats running around you always have to knock on the hood before starting here. They get sucked into the fan quite often if you don't in the winter. Same here on the blind spot sensor. Mirrors work just fine. Tonneau covers are great but I throw stuff in so often it'd be a pain having the bed covered 90% of the time. Plus I haul stuff that sticks up over the bed rails like hay and such so no point. I'll take mine from the dealership straight to a shop to have a spray in bed liner and window tint added. My Dodge came with a factory spray in liner and it was paper thin. Like thin enough to scrape chunks off pushing something across the bed or chipping it off tossing something metal into the bed. Kinda made me Leary of getting a cheap factory one again. That just seems absolutely silly that a constraint build item can be sent immediately to one already built.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Haha, of course the ONE option on my XLT Hybrid order (you know, other than the whole hybrid thing), is the hitch. Now I get to wrestle with whether or not to drop that.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around why this doesn't make the Lux package a constraint now, though.
I suspect it's because when they established the number of Lux packages they expected to build, they ordered sufficient hitches for that amount, plus a few extras for "singleton" hitch orders and for the dealer parts departments...

But it sounds like they "misunderestimated" (great George Bush-ism) the number of folks who would want a $110 hitch that otherwise costs $400+ installed aftermarket. If I had been the production planner, I would have ordered at least as many hitches as I was planning to build Mavericks, with any "extras" going to the dealers... Sometimes I wonder if the folks planning this stuff even know what a truck is...

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Within that article is: https://fordauthority.com/2022/10/2022-ford-maverick-pickups-get-new-depopulated-key/

Great. So on top of the wait and misinformation campaign, we only get one key that unlocks the doors? So we get to pay the dealer $600 for another key? FU Ford. Get your stuff together.
I believe Tim Barth told us about this quite a while ago, only his explanation was that one of the keys would not have the "remote start" capability, and the other would just be a regular key. I trust his explanation a LOT more than the drivel Ford Authority publishes as click-bait...

Sponsored

OP
OP
commadorebob

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I suspect it's because when they established the number of Lux packages they expected to build, they ordered sufficient hitches for that amount, plus a few extras for "singleton" hitch orders and for the dealer parts departments...

But it sounds like they "misunderestimated" (great George Bush-ism) the number of folks who would want a $110 hitch that otherwise costs $400+ installed aftermarket. If I had been the production planner, I would have ordered at least as many hitches as I was planning to build Mavericks, with any "extras" going to the dealers... Sometimes I wonder if the folks planning this stuff even know what a truck is...
I think it is a case of what this truck is. I still think Ford initially treated it as an SUV with a bed. So it never was meant to be a true truck. That's what the Ranger and F-150 are for. With that thought process, you can see why they would even bother making 35% of them be hybrid and thus not bother loading them up with hitches.

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

True @commadorebob, take a look around and see how many small SUV's have a hitch. I am sure there are some, but 100% not likely. I just wish Ford would have prewired the harness for at least the 4pin so install could be a DIY if you were to buy the hitch after the fact.

OP
OP
commadorebob

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
True @commadorebob, take a look around and see how many small SUV's have a hitch. I am sure there are some, but 100% not likely. I just wish Ford would have prewired the harness for at least the 4pin so install could be a DIY if you were to buy the hitch after the fact.
Exactly my point. The Maverick was being treated as an SUV, not a truck. So why bother with putting a hitch on all of them unless a customer actually asks for it. Look at the Maverick product page. Ford focuses on the hauling capability with only one picture of it actually pulling anything (and that is a camper my Saturn Vue could sling around). Compare that to the F-150 where many of the pictures are focused on the towing capability.

As for the prewiring, that is silly. Even the aforementioned Saturn Vue was prewired for a hitch. The U-haul hitch I have installed on it bolted on. So, there was some foresight given to aftermarket hitches.

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Oxford White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It seems like they're prioritizing the packages over the standalone hitch, so adding the Lux package could actually make it get scheduled quicker.
Except for any other lux package constraints

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It seems like they're prioritizing the packages over the standalone hitch, so adding the Lux package could actually make it get scheduled quicker.
For me, about the only thing left in the lux package that I want or need is the hitch.
That would make the hitch $1730
I'm going to install my own hitch.

Sponsored

2023maverickhopeful

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think it is a case of what this truck is. I still think Ford initially treated it as an SUV with a bed. So it never was meant to be a true truck. That's what the Ranger and F-150 are for. With that thought process, you can see why they would even bother making 35% of them be hybrid and thus not bother loading them up with hitches.
Meh, if the thought it was going to target only SUVers, most SUVers would prefer hybrid. Which was my assumption last summer. Most SUVers care about fuel economy not having truck nuts and coal rolling. There is a reason the RAV4 Hybrid and Tucson Hybrid are the two most popular SUVs.

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hopefully the secondary market will see the need and come up with a reasonable hitch/harness.

OP
OP
commadorebob

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Meh, if the thought it was going to target only SUVers, most SUVers would prefer hybrid. Which was my assumption last summer. Most SUVers care about fuel economy not having truck nuts and coal rolling. There is a reason the RAV4 Hybrid and Tucson Hybrid are the two most popular SUVs.
I dispute the ranking as KBB only lists the RAV4 in general as the number 1 and lists the Jeep Cherokee as number 2 for the first half of 2022. Not exactly a pure indication of people caring about fuel economy, but that is neither here nor there.

Making the Maverick hybrid the main offering could have been the eventual goal. The 35-65 ratio may be more a function of parts limitations. Ford just doesn't have the capacity for more hybrids yet. But with CAFE standards increasing next year, Ford might be incentivized to produce many more cheap hybrid Mavericks so they can continue to offset their F-150s that tend to not be hybrids by design.

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I understand your point but also:
  • My '94 F350 didn't come with a factory hitch. The optional step bumper had a hole for a ball but the receiver was also an option.
  • My '02 Gen 3 Ranger only had a hole in the bumper for a ball. No receiver.
  • My '05 F150 only had a hole in the bumper for a ball. No receiver.
  • My '11 Gen 3 Ranger came with a 2" receiver. (I don't remember if it was listed as an option or standard equipment on the window sticker)
My point is that receivers on trucks have been an option for a long time and not having a receiver is not necessarily a mark of not being a truck.

OP
OP
commadorebob

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I understand your point but also:
  • My '94 F350 didn't come with a factory hitch. The optional step bumper had a hole for a ball but the receiver was also an option.
  • My '02 Gen 3 Ranger only had a hole in the bumper for a ball. No receiver.
  • My '05 F150 only had a hole in the bumper for a ball. No receiver.
  • My '11 Gen 3 Ranger came with a 2" receiver. (I don't remember if it was listed as an option or standard equipment on the window sticker)
My point is that receivers on trucks have been an option for a long time and not having a receiver is not necessarily a mark of not being a truck.
I completely understand. My dad's '94 F-150 has a ball on the bumper. So, that has always been the mark of a truck to me. My '05 Dakota had a ball hole as well and I put a hitch on it. To me, the lack of the ball hole betrays Ford's thinking that this is really an SUV that just happens to look like a truck.
Sponsored