First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sharing some thoughts on our Maverick after our road trip if anyone cares to read them...

First off -THANK YOU to our professional truck driver's out on the road delivering everything imaginable across the country, especially right now. You can't appreciate their work until you're on the road with them for days at a time. The open road, as rewarding as it can be, is also cruel, rough, dangerous, exhausting and lonely. I don't know how you men & women do it every single day but it's appreciated. The lack of healthy food and safe, clean places to stop, refuel and rest really should be addressed more.

My wife and daughter (plus our dog) took a road trip from Colorado to Southern California to escape the snow and hit the beach. Total miles driven: 2,628. Our route was mostly Interstates 80, 15, & 5. We covered north CO, WY, UT, top corner of AZ, NV, and CA.

We left our Tesla Model Y behind and opted for our hot pepper red Maverick - an XLT w/ lux package, FX4, sunroof, rear window. We added the soft rolling tonneau cover, mud flaps, and did one size up with BFGoodrich Trail-Terrain tires. I also appreciated the nicer instrument cluster display that is on the Lariat and my FX4 trimā€™s. It makes the truck look so much nicer in my opinion.

The entire bed was full of our luggage- suitcases, portable play yard, dog crate, cooler, stroller, etc. we were loaded up. It was invaluable to have the tonneau cover traveling with luggage; I canā€™t express that enough.

The truck did fantastic. It has more than enough power to cruise along those never-ending stretches of vast emptiness and the wonderful 80 MPH speed limits. And even at 80MPH you still have just enough power to pass a truck or slower driver. Depending on traffic, I set the cruise on 75-85MPH majority of the time. I canā€™t say I missed auto-pilot of Tesla. I DID miss adaptive cruise control although some of you Lariat owners will have that feature.

The luxury package features are 500% worth the added cost. The upgraded leather steering wheel alone was super comfortable to use. The heated wheel, wipers, mirrors, seats etc. weā€™re awesome on the cold mornings until we got out west (this truck warms up VERY fast though). Remote start was great and I did lock myself out at the gas station but the keypad on the door (program your own code now!) was a life saver.

Ride quality was great. I didnā€™t think road noise was bad at all - it greatly depends on the type of road material youā€™re on. The seats are very comfortable and supportive keeping in mind this is an entry level vehicle and a truck. They did show their smaller size, especially the shorter thigh support and firmness. I know what Iā€™m driving so I wonā€™t complain like I was expecting an S-Class comfort level. The sunroof is awesome to have - especially when we hit that Cali. sunshine and opening the sliding rear with roof open creates the most amazing flow of fresh air. The climate control is great. Iā€™d put it on auto and set my temp and it would keep it there w/o constantly needing to tinker with it. The LED headlights at night are actually very good and I might say on-par with the Teslaā€™s amazing LED headlights. The auto-bright on/off feature was working good too when we departed early morning while it was still dark.

MPG Results: The entire trip, door-to-door we got 23MPG average on the dot. I never could get that 30MPG mark. Keep in mind that was in a fully loaded truck with bigger tires and said speeds so while I was expecting better, that seems realistic and still respectable for a little truck. My slight disappointment with range. At that MPG we were getting maybe 360 miles a tank, roughly. Thatā€™s slightly better than the electric car's 318. This truck replaced our F150 with a 30 gal tank. So although much worse MPG with its 5.4 V8, we could easily go 430 miles on a tank of gas on the highway. There were times when I missed the F150ā€™s size and comfort and more refined driving experience on the open highway.

Coming back through Las Vegas on Friday night, traffic was pretty congested. Even though we werenā€™t going more than 45MPH I had to emergency brake. The kind where you see people in your review mirror swerving into the side lane to avoid running into the car in front of them because they were following too closely. The truck stopped within a few inches of the bumper in front of me, with tires screeching a bit. I didnā€™t get the feeling there was any type of braking assist from the Maverick to avoid a collision. In our shortly owned 2020 Escape Hybrid, there would be a red warning flash on the display if the car engaged in emergency braking assist.

Iā€™m overall super happy with the Maverick. I do think Ford missed an opportunity to launch with an AWD Hybrid instead of the two options. We all know that "below $20K" is not real anyway. My AWD EcoBoost is excellent in the snow and feels very stable but it feels so unnecessary to miss out on that amazing MPG during the 95% of time I don't really need AWDā€¦ Just standardize it because weā€™re not going to be towing a lot realistically with the Mav - and if thatā€™s what you need a truck for then Ford conveniently has Ranger and F-Series for that. We wonā€™t be doing severe off-roading in this little truck either.
Sponsored

WildHorse

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like your assessment, very useful for potential buyers who are not necessarily fanboys.

PS, after I wrote the above, I looked at your avatar, I just realized that you are the Y owner I teased before. Now, I become your fan (blush).

WW Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Toyota Land Cruiser
I have to say I was first drawn to the Maverick by it's price. I was getting ready to spend $30K on a used Tacoma and realized I could get a new Ford for far less (yes I know the dif between a real truck and a car that's now got a small bed hanging out the back). So when I configured my order I only added options that I really thought were worth the additional cost and kept in mind the utility of a pickup vs the lux of car. For me, heated seats, power mirrors, and the leather steering wheels are on my Lexus - but it doesn't take a load to the dump like the Maverick can!

Good write up Jim.

Liveaboard

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van
Sharing some thoughts on our Maverick after our road trip if anyone cares to read them...

First off -THANK YOU to our professional truck driver's out on the road delivering everything imaginable across the country, especially right now. You can't appreciate their work until you're on the road with them for days at a time. The open road, as rewarding as it can be, is also cruel, rough, dangerous, exhausting and lonely. I don't know how you men & women do it every single day but it's appreciated. The lack of healthy food and safe, clean places to stop, refuel and rest really should be addressed more.

My wife and daughter (plus our dog) took a road trip from Colorado to Southern California to escape the snow and hit the beach. Total miles driven: 2,628. Our route was mostly Interstates 80, 15, & 5. We covered north CO, WY, UT, top corner of AZ, NV, and CA.

We left our Tesla Model Y behind and opted for our hot pepper red Maverick - an XLT w/ lux package, FX4, sunroof, rear window. We added the soft rolling tonneau cover, mud flaps, and did one size up with BFGoodrich Trail-Terrain tires. I also appreciated the nicer instrument cluster display that is on the Lariat and my FX4 trimā€™s. It makes the truck look so much nicer in my opinion.

The entire bed was full of our luggage- suitcases, portable play yard, dog crate, cooler, stroller, etc. we were loaded up. It was invaluable to have the tonneau cover traveling with luggage; I canā€™t express that enough.

The truck did fantastic. It has more than enough power to cruise along those never-ending stretches of vast emptiness and the wonderful 80 MPH speed limits. And even at 80MPH you still have just enough power to pass a truck or slower driver. Depending on traffic, I set the cruise on 75-85MPH majority of the time. I canā€™t say I missed auto-pilot of Tesla. I DID miss adaptive cruise control although some of you Lariat owners will have that feature.

The luxury package features are 500% worth the added cost. The upgraded leather steering wheel alone was super comfortable to use. The heated wheel, wipers, mirrors, seats etc. weā€™re awesome on the cold mornings until we got out west (this truck warms up VERY fast though). Remote start was great and I did lock myself out at the gas station but the keypad on the door (program your own code now!) was a life saver.

Ride quality was great. I didnā€™t think road noise was bad at all - it greatly depends on the type of road material youā€™re on. The seats are very comfortable and supportive keeping in mind this is an entry level vehicle and a truck. They did show their smaller size, especially the shorter thigh support and firmness. I know what Iā€™m driving so I wonā€™t complain like I was expecting an S-Class comfort level. The sunroof is awesome to have - especially when we hit that Cali. sunshine and opening the sliding rear with roof open creates the most amazing flow of fresh air. The climate control is great. Iā€™d put it on auto and set my temp and it would keep it there w/o constantly needing to tinker with it. The LED headlights at night are actually very good and I might say on-par with the Teslaā€™s amazing LED headlights. The auto-bright on/off feature was working good too when we departed early morning while it was still dark.

MPG Results: The entire trip, door-to-door we got 23MPG average on the dot. I never could get that 30MPG mark. Keep in mind that was in a fully loaded truck with bigger tires and said speeds so while I was expecting better, that seems realistic and still respectable for a little truck. My slight disappointment with range. At that MPG we were getting maybe 360 miles a tank, roughly. Thatā€™s slightly better than the electric car's 318. This truck replaced our F150 with a 30 gal tank. So although much worse MPG with its 5.4 V8, we could easily go 430 miles on a tank of gas on the highway. There were times when I missed the F150ā€™s size and comfort and more refined driving experience on the open highway.

Coming back through Las Vegas on Friday night, traffic was pretty congested. Even though we werenā€™t going more than 45MPH I had to emergency brake. The kind where you see people in your review mirror swerving into the side lane to avoid running into the car in front of them because they were following too closely. The truck stopped within a few inches of the bumper in front of me, with tires screeching a bit. I didnā€™t get the feeling there was any type of braking assist from the Maverick to avoid a collision. In our shortly owned 2020 Escape Hybrid, there would be a red warning flash on the display if the car engaged in emergency braking assist.

Iā€™m overall super happy with the Maverick. I do think Ford missed an opportunity to launch with an AWD Hybrid instead of the two options. We all know that "below $20K" is not real anyway. My AWD EcoBoost is excellent in the snow and feels very stable but it feels so unnecessary to miss out on that amazing MPG during the 95% of time I don't really need AWDā€¦ Just standardize it because weā€™re not going to be towing a lot realistically with the Mav - and if thatā€™s what you need a truck for then Ford conveniently has Ranger and F-Series for that. We wonā€™t be doing severe off-roading in this little truck either.
I also just did a road trip. Northern Washington to California-Oregon border. 1080 miles. Several passes include. Running at about 80 mph I averaged 25.7 mpg going down. Coming home with a #800 load I averaged 24.7. I have the Ford/Snug Top canopy and love it.

BlueOval5.0

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-150 SuperCab XLT, 5.4L 3V, Chrome Pkg
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Excellent writeup and I am glad that you were able to avoid the collision with your family and the truck. Enjoy the Mav and keep the feedback coming.

Sponsored

Nighowl2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ya if you have at tires it will drop 1-2 mpgs

Grey Ghost 22

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Ranger, Taurus
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Very nice and in depth write up. Appreciate your critique of the Mav's performance and features.

Reactions: Dad

JoeJoe311

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Veloster N, Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Great review. Glad you were able to avoid the accident. I'm only buying this truck because the towing package allows me to tow a small boat(2500lbs), while still getting decent mpg. The Ranger and F-150 were not even considered, not a fan of the Ranger and the F-150 is too large. If the hybrid could have towed 3500lbs, then i would agree with you with only having hybrids including AWD as an option. Since they don't, this truck is perfect for me the way it is.

Reactions: Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Excellent review and glad that you avoided an accident. When driving my RV I have lots of interaction with those amazing truckers and I share your sentiments. They keep ,America fed and supplied in the most difficult of environments. It's not easy wrestling those big rigs around.

Sponsored

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for your reviewā€¦.one of the main reasons Iā€™m going with the Maverick is that it has a steel bumper that goes across the entire front covering both the driver and passenger sides; safe travels to all.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder how much lower the fuel economy will be like on the way back though, since I assume most of the traffic is heading out of California just looking at license plates in Texas. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø šŸ˜

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the review. Good to hear your input coming from a Tesla and an F-150 vs. the Mav.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice write up. What octane fuel were you using ?
Sponsored