First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
there’s hearsay about a six-speed manual instead of an eight-speed automatic as the base transmission

Ford Maverick Maverick production to start in July 2021, suppliers told takemymoney

Im incredibly torn about if they'll offer a manual. On one side you're out of your mind if you think they can offer this thing at $20k in almost any formation with an auto transmission. Autos are expensive as heck compared to a manual. Then on the other hand I think a manual, front drive base model would be able to hit $20k but its an unbelievable minuscule chance they'll ever put a manual into it.

If by some miracle it does have a manual that'll make the choice for me. Id prefer a base model with no gizmos all day long but ill take whatever trim they put the manual on.

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Would the manual be offered with AWD, or would it just be the 2WD? If it's with the AWD, I'm sold. I will buy the truck.
Im thinking if they offered it at all it will be a front drive 1.5 turbo 3 cylinder model only. It will exist ONLY to flaunt the under $20k base price. I dont think it would be too hard to do to implement into the truck. The transmission already exists in the new Fiesta right? (In the rest of the world that is. Ford hates the US car market and canned the new Fiesta here).

Sponsored

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
They also seem to think it will get the same twin-clutch RWD unit as the BS Badlands... Tremor off-road trim, anyone?

Reactions: Doc

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Autoevolution article also claims that the payload will be below the Transit Connect's and the towing will be below the Escape's. I hope that's not true.

Woody_Finch

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Frontier, 2012 Focus, 2011 Fiesta
The transmission already exists in the new Fiesta right? (In the rest of the world that is. Ford hates the US car market and canned the new Fiesta here).
My 2012 Focus is a stick too, which always surprises people. I suppose that makes it a rare bird in the US at this point, and I wonder if it'll demand more on the used market with the manual.

Sponsored

used2jeep

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 P71 Crown Vic
UGH!

"
Clearly more attractive than a Transit Connect and Escape, the all-new Maverick will disappoint pickup truck enthusiasts with poor towing and payload capacities. How poor, you ask? Let’s say that you shouldn’t expect the Maverick to match the 1,550-pound (703-kilogram) payload of the Transit Connect or the 3,500-pound (1,588-kilogram) maximum towing capacity of the compact-sized Escape with the Class II towing package.

To be offered exclusively with a four-door cabin, the Maverick serves as the indirect successor to the Courier. Initially based on the Mazda B-Series pickup and later on the Fiesta subcompact hatchback, the Courier had a payload capacity of 1,543 lbs (700 kilograms) when it was phased out in 2013.
"

• Haha

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
"Clearly more attractive than a Transit Connect and Escape, the all-new Maverick will disappoint pickup truck enthusiasts with poor towing and payload capacities. How poor, you ask? Let’s say that you shouldn’t expect the Maverick to match the 1,550-pound (703-kilogram) payload of the Transit Connect or the 3,500-pound (1,588-kilogram) maximum towing capacity of the compact-sized Escape with the Class II towing package."

Eyeroll <wanking motion>

• Haha

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
Any idea what Ford is waiting for to announce?

Everything seems to be a full go. You’d think if they were starting production in July they’d want some hype around this by now.

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My 2012 Focus is a stick too, which always surprises people. I suppose that makes it a rare bird in the US at this point, and I wonder if it'll demand more on the used market with the manual.
Actually now that I think about it yea, they do also make the 2.0 ecoboost in a vehicle with a manual dont they? The Focus ST? I dont think anything in the US uses the 1.5 Dragon with a manual but I know its the new Fiesta ST powerplant so the tooling does already exist for that manual too. Id be so damn excited if they made a 2.0 version of the Maverick with a manual. Neat little street truck with a ton of modability.

For everyone talking about the light dutyness of this truck I mean yea, thats what this is. It was never going to be a legitimate competitor to other trucks on the market and its insane to believe it would. Its a light duty, lifestyle vehicle built on a modified car chassis. It wasnt ever going to have 1000+ pound payload (hell a 4 cylinder Frontier is only good for around 900 pound payload). The tow rating comment does seem odd though. Im expecting tow capacities near the Bronco Sport/Escape. Around the 2k-3.5k range depending on engine choice.

Spartan_J

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Chevy Spark
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The minimum tow rating on the Ranger is 3500#. It would make sense for Ford to slot the Maverick below that and make the maximum 3500#. I can't fathom that the Maverick would have a lower tow rating than the Escape with same powertrain and a longer wheelbase. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored