olie64

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I always liked the ranger. I was bummed out when the current ranger came out and was a larger truck. Then came the Maverick and now I am patiently waiting. Glad ford wised up.
I read an article last spring that said the trucking getting bigger was on purpose to create room for a new small truck....so it was planned ford just bear everyone to the punch.
Sponsored

sickser66

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
My first new vehicle was a 1996 Ford Ranger XL. Zero options. The dealership had a row of about 50 of them all lined up. All the same except color. $10,995 before rebates. I was so excited when I bought it. It was a great truck and I put over 20,000 miles on it the first six months I owned it. Lol. I wasn’t used to something so reliable cause befor that I drove beat to crap muscle cars from the 60’s. 😆

Gr8Mustang

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Digger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange Maverick Hybrid Lariat Lux w/360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was going to sell my 2000 4x4 Super Cab Ranger and my Prius and replace them with 1 vehicle, my ordered Maverick.
I was doing some yard work and had to haul 1/2 ton of rock with my Ranger. Got that done and said there was no way I would put that load in the Maverick. Not wanting to mess up the Mav with a load of rock.
Decided to sell the Prius and keep the Ranger. Now that I see the pictures here of the side by side and makes me feel good about the size of the Mav. But still keeping the Ranger

Last edited:

shark978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
canyon
Engine
Undecided
i am glad to see it is way bigger than the old ranger

we've seen mav vs most things by now, i'd like to see it vs a last gen Colorado/canyon now since thats what i drive.

xSWMIx

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Our family business work "fleet" is Rangers. A mostly retired 92 with just shy of half a million miles, a 99 with 270k and a 2000 with 300k. Been waiting forever for a new option and was super excited when the Maverick news dropped. Especially with the hybrid option. Like some other posters I was really disappointed when the new Ranger came out; too big, too much passenger room at the expense of bed, too expensive.

Sponsored

shark978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
canyon
Engine
Undecided
I was going to sell my 2000 4x4 Super Cab Ranger and my Prius and replace them with 1 vehicle, my ordered Maverick.
I was doing some yard work and had to haul 1/2 ton of rock with my Ranger. Got that done and said there was no way I would put that load in the Maverick. Not wanting to mess up the Mav with a load of rock.
Decided to sell the Prius and keep the Ranger. Now that I see the pictures here of the side by side and makes me feel good about the size of the Mav. But still keeping the Ranger

heh, thats funny. i'd say put the damn rock in the mav, thats why its a truck lol.

that said i get it, if its because it's new. i tend to baby things when they are new because i still treasure them lol. After a while when they are older, I dont mind beating them up. Such as my cell phone etc.

I'm kinda in the same boat though, my 08 canyon regular cab with 140k miles and a few dents is only worth maybe 4-5k on the market (not sure itd be worth much trade in as it has a significant but cosmetic only front bumper dent). Since it still runs great etc it crosses my mind it might be worth just keeping, or maybe get like a Mustang for the 4 doors and keep the truck for trucking, and still maybe come out cheaper than these expensive ass mid size trucks (not counting the Maverick). Ehh, I have a small yard/garage though, still suspect I'd be happier with one truck.

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's a good call. Plus it's a nice luxury to have a spare vehicle. Esp a 4x4. If the prices stay crazy high I might sell my Fit that I was going to keep and look for a little truck like that. Just for crappy snow days and hunting and stuff

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
heh, thats funny. i'd say put the damn rock in the mav, thats why its a truck lol.

that said i get it, if its because it's new. i tend to baby things when they are new because i still treasure them lol.
Same thoughts here. Yeah, the first scratch hurts the most. But after that, it's broken in and ready to tow and haul.

I guess I had it the easy way since my last several vehicles were late-model used, so they were ready to go the day I brought 'em home!

The last car I bought brand new I kept religiously pristine. When I traded it in, the sales manager couldn't believe it when I said it had over 200,000 miles until he saw the odometer with his own eyes. He said he's seen cars in 10x worse condition with 10x fewer miles.

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I also see a similarity with the 1989 Ford F-150 in the Maverick front end. I used to hate that version of the F-150 but grew to like it’s boxiness. And you can pick this ‘89 up for about the price of a base Maverick. 😂

88FAD67F-7EE2-4EBF-8030-B6C477B275CC.jpeg
Bought an '89 F-150 with this single cab like this one in 2012. Drove it for four years before before it reached the point of senility and everything started to go on it at one time. Traded it in for a 2016 F-150 XLT. Still miss the ol' girl every day.

staryoshi

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Colorado
Mav is more of a spiritual successor to the Subie Brat ;)

Also, trucks keep getting larger for safety/tech/features/rotund customers imo. Old trucks are smaller because they're death traps with knobs and levers :)

Also also, I'd love to find an old ranger to play with but everything here is rusted out or overpriced or both.

And to bring it back on topic, cool pics :D

Sponsored

MyFutureMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Bought an '89 F-150 with this single cab like this one in 2012. Drove it for four years before before it reached the point of senility and everything started to go on it at one time. Traded it in for a 2016 F-150 XLT. Still miss the ol' girl every day.
Nice. My dad had a red/white ‘89 model in the early 90s. He traded for a 3/4 ton to pull a camper.

Watchman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V12-XJS Jaguar, S10 LS Stepside
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think this is why the Maverick is so popular, larger trucks are simply too much $$$. A 28 year newer truck with double the power & torque AND over 25% increase in MPGs, now if they could only do that with full size trucks.
And just too much truck! Ford named it Maverick because it's the first HYBRID compact truck and about 70% ordered it because of that -- yet Ford is smart enough to satisfy a broad range of folks that just like a smaller truck that does what the big trucks do. Can't think of a more versatile vehicle in my lifetime (and I'm old).

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
In 2015 or so I bought a new car, when I was hunting around I thought hey the Ford Ranger was always a neat vehicle and saw that Ford cancelled it! I couldn't believe this because I've always heard trucks sell like hot cakes especially Ford. It was kinda confusing when the new one came out, I went to the dealership (just to look) and was baffled by the size. That was not the Ranger I grew up with (although technically I grew up with the s10).

Glad to see a return to compact trucks, a truckbed has a ton of use!
Sponsored