David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well it's all finished up and loaded!

I started this about a month ago, specifically for the Maverick to pull.

The trailer itself empty came in at 1390#, has a single 3500# axle under it, 29" 8 ply tires. The side by side is 1450#, tent and the remainder of the gear around 300#'s. Final weight came in under 3200#'s.

The tent is a Smittybilt, the enclosed part houses a on demand/instant hot water shower, portable toilet, toiletries, 1400 watt generator, power inverter, propane tank, portable instant up shower surround, two burner multi fuel stove, stainless griddle, food, 16 gallons of fresh water, large marine battery on the tongue along with a spare. The drawers on the passenger side all allow for the entire length of the drawer to come out to access the Hardigg cases with the gear/food etc. in them and the center is the cooking shelf.

I pulled it today, tracks straight as an arrow, plenty of power (and I'm a guy greedy for power). I didn't install trailer brakes, the truck stops this really well.

The negative side is the truck squats quite a bit. I have a solution for this, that's coming next week.

Thanks for looking!

Ford Maverick Maverick overlanding trailer all done! IMG_0363
Ford Maverick Maverick overlanding trailer all done! IMG_0364
Ford Maverick Maverick overlanding trailer all done! IMG_0365
Ford Maverick Maverick overlanding trailer all done! IMG_0367
Sponsored

Last edited:

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Looks pretty neat! What's the platform size of the trailer? Looks to be about a 6x12?

Did you build the trailer itself? Typically a trailer's axle is positioned about 60% the distance from the front of the deck. A toyhauler has its axles even further back because the weight of the toys over/behind the axles reduces the tongue weight. The tradeoff being that when they are empty, toyhaulers have a proportionally massive amount of tongue weight.

Your trailer's axle looks to be at about 50% the distance from the front of the deck, which would be necessary if you plan on adding something really heavy to the front. As it sits, with the bulk of the SxS (including its engine) hanging behind the trailer's axle, I can't imagine the tongue weight being at the typical 12-15%.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks pretty neat! What's the platform size of the trailer? Looks to be about a 6x12?

Did you build the trailer itself? Typically a trailer's axle is positioned about 60% the distance from the front of the deck. A toyhauler has its axles even further back because the weight of the toys over/behind the axles reduces the tongue weight. The tradeoff being that when they are empty, toyhaulers have a proportionally massive amount of tongue weight.

Your trailer's axle looks to be at about 50% the distance from the front of the deck, which would be necessary if you plan on adding something really heavy to the front. As it sits, with the bulk of the SxS (including its engine) hanging behind the trailer's axle, I can't imagine the tongue weight being at the typical 12-15%.
Yes, built the entire trailer. Deck is 6' wide, trailer is 20' long. It's 60% actually, I have google too, haha. The trailer is good to go on weight distribution now, that's why it tracks so nice, I'd like a little less squat which we will fix next week.

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
Seems like backing the SXS on to that trailer would move some weight forward as well. Just a guess based on the motor being in the rear of the SXS.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Seems like backing the SXS on to that trailer would move some weight forward as well. Just a guess based on the motor being in the rear of the SXS.
That's not an option, I don't need more tongue weight. The trailer was built/designed like this so the nose fits under the tent, it won't fit the other way.

Sponsored

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
The trailer is good to go on weight distribution now, that's why it tracks so nice
That's not an option, I don't need more tongue weight. The trailer was built/designed like this so the nose fits under the tent, it won't fit the other way.
Ah see I didn't catch that in the pics that the SxS butts right up against the enclosed part. I knew I was missing something because you said the trailer tracks straight as an arrow in your first post, which wouldn't be the case if the tongue weight was too low.

Do you set up a shower tent to use the commode and/or the shower system hanging on the door?

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ah see I didn't catch that in the pics that the SxS butts right up against the enclosed part. I knew I was missing something because you said the trailer tracks straight as an arrow in your first post, which wouldn't be the case if the tongue weight was too low.

Do you set up a shower tent to use the commode and/or the shower system hanging on the door?
Yes we have one of those instant pop up shower/toilet tents. The shower system is mounted to the door, the head hangs over the top of the enclosure.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

The trailer itself empty came in at 1390#, has a single 3500# axle under it, 29" 8 ply tires. The side by side is 1450#, tent and the remainder of the gear around 300#'s. Final weight came in under 3200#'s.

The tent is a Smittybilt, the enclosed part houses a on demand/instant hot water shower, portable toilet, toiletries, 1400 watt generator, power inverter, propane tank, portable instant up shower surround, two burner multi fuel stove, stainless griddle, food, 16 gallons of fresh water, large marine battery on the tongue along with a spare. The drawers on the passenger side all allow for the entire length of the drawer to come out to access the Hardigg cases with the gear/food etc. in them and the center is the cooking shelf.

I pulled it today, tracks straight as an arrow, plenty of power (and I'm a guy greedy for power). I didn't install trailer brakes, the truck stops this really well.

The negative side is the truck squats quite a bit. I have a solution for this, that's coming next week.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_0363.jpg
IMG_0364.jpg
IMG_0365.jpg
IMG_0367.jpg
Sweet!!

jbalex1212

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
This is the exact setup I am looking to do! I've wanted a way to haul my side by side and stick the RTT on my trailer as well. My current side by side barely fits on my trailer as is so I am looking at an excuse to build something like this.

Was super close to ordering a Maverick the last day orders were open but opted not to. I have a work truck I use for towing and will just wait until the market settles down to get what I want. Doesn't hurt that I can use that time to save up as well!

Sponsored

KimTexas

First Name
Berly Ann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid - 🌵 Grey
Looks great! Now I'm even more inspired/pumped to get started on my overlanding gear !

Hagzfilmz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
TH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ordered) 2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.5 Cactus-G Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thanks for looking!

IMG_0363.jpg
IMG_0364.jpg
IMG_0365.jpg
IMG_0367.jpg
Absolutely amazing work so well thought out! I’m still working out a plan for my Husqvarna dual sport and roof top smitty for the Maverick when it comes in. The cactus grey looks great glad I went with it also. Enjoy

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thanks for looking!

IMG_0363.jpg
IMG_0364.jpg
IMG_0365.jpg
IMG_0367.jpg
Yea there was an earlier post showing after market air bags installed

Status
Not open for further replies.