JVolpe

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beater truck
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Source: https://www.wardsauto.com/10-best-i...lf-spots-2022-wards-10-best-interiors-ux-list

BEVs Take Half the Spots on 2022 Wards 10 Best Interiors & UX List

Ford Maverick Maverick Named One of 2022 Wards 10 Best Interiors & UX 2022-Ford-Maverick-Lariat

May 10, 2022

This year’s new jointly combined Interiors and User-Experience winners’ list is half made up of BEVs, with a midsize pickup, a CUV, an SUV, a hot hatch and a fullsize pickup capturing the other five slots.

Battery-electric propulsion and charging get all the attention, but it’s clear automakers also are using their blank-sheet battery-electric-vehicle platforms as palettes for interior and UX innovations.

BEVs account for half this year’s winners of the new jointly combined Wards 10 Best Interiors & UX awards, with two of the five from upstart automakers whose vehicles were tested for the first time.

“This year marks a significant milestone for the Wards 10 Best Interiors and UX awards,” says WardsAuto Editor Drew Winter. “With 50% of our winners being battery-electric vehicles, this tells us the interiors of these models now are as awe-inspiring as their 0-60 mph performance time. Automakers are creating beautiful cabins in these vehicles that combine great new ideas with timeless designs from the past, plus packing them with great advanced technologies such as augmented reality.”

The BMW iX and Kia EV6 CUVs, Lucid Air and Mercedes-Benz EQS sedans and Rivian R1T pickup truck make the cut this year, the first time we’ve had such a large proportion of BEVs on either of our 10 Best Interiors or UX lists. It’s a solid reflection of the number of new BEVs entering the market right now – and the amount of innovation that is going into creating them.

This year’s list also marks the first appearance of BEV upstart automakers Lucid and Rivian.

The five BEV models are joined in the winners’ circle by a midsize pickup (the Ford Maverick), a sleek luxury midsize CUV (the Genesis GV70), a blinged-out 3-row SUV (the Jeep Grand Wagoneer), a hot hatch (the Volkswagen Golf GTI) and a fullsize truck (the Toyota Tundra).

Beginning May 23, we’ll post a profile each day of one of our winners. A full list of winners and nominees is posted below.

While they may be powered differently, all of the 2022 Wards 10 Best Interiors & UX winning vehicles have the common thread of excellent interior design, high-quality and distinctive interior materials, great fit-and-finish and comfortable seating, as well as in-vehicle technology that excels in its appearance and user-friendliness. Dazzling displays made up of easy-to-navigate menus, stress-free phone pairing and well-performing voice-recognition and advanced-driver-assist systems also were captivating features. Although there is no price cap for the competition, winning vehicles must provide a good value, another metric we evaluate closely.

After 11 years of Wards 10 Best Interiors and six years of Wards 10 Best UX we’ve merged the two competitions. Both interior design and in-vehicle electronics play such a critical role jointly in creating the overall user experience that we believe it now makes the most sense to judge, and reward, these vehicles in a more holistic way.

Wards editors selected our 2022 list after evaluating 22 vehicles with new or heavily redesigned interiors and user-experience technology. Evaluations took place from mid-February through late April in which judges experienced the vehicles during their daily driving.

The 2022 Wards 10 Best Interiors & UX trophies will be handed out at our awards ceremony on June 9 during the AutoTech: Detroit conference, beginning June 8 at the Suburban Collection Showplace in Novi, MI.

2022 Wards 10 Best Interiors & UX nominees list (asterisk denotes winner)

Audi e-tron​
BMW i4​
BMW iX *
Ford Maverick *
Genesis GV70 *
Hyundai Ioniq 5​
Hyundai Santa Cruz​
Infiniti QX60​
Jeep Compass​
Jeep Grand Wagoneer *
Kia Carnival​
Kia EV6 *
Lexus NX 350 F Sport​
Lincoln Navigator​
Lucid Air *
Mercedes-Benz EQS580 *
Mini Cooper SE Hardtop​
Rivian R1T *
Subaru BRZ​
Toyota Tundra *
Volkswagen Golf GTI *
Volkswagen Taos​
Sponsored

Last edited:

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not only is the interior very well laid out, it has so much personality and character thanks to all the different colors and hues used throughout. There's a mix of Navy Pier Blue that makes up most of the interior, then there's the Desert Brown contrast trim on the upper dash with exposed rivets to give it an industrial look, and the off-white Granite Counter Top looking trim on the door panels and lower dash. It's nothing like any other interior on the market. And considering it only maxes out at a shade over $35,000 (without corrupt dealer markups) it is such a great value for what you get, as long as you don't touch anything too much since it scratches so easily. That's is main downfall but it's still manageable. It's great seeing the Maverick consistently making appearances for so many awards. That lets you know it's a great truck. (y)

Last edited:

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Sponsored

dbmurray

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Escape Titanium
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mid-size pick up my big fat hairy butt.
Ford Maverick Maverick Named One of 2022 Wards 10 Best Interiors & UX 2022-05-10 11.48.03

To be fair, I am parked a couple of inches closer to the curb than the Ranger is. But you know why? Because I could!

And I wouldn't give the Maverick an award for the interior, at least at the base level. It's good enough. It's like a couch from Macy's. It's nice enough, but it's not anything high end.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Eh, I love the Maverick hybrid powertrain, bang for the buck, dimensions, and utility, but interior quality is not one of its strong suits IMO, particularly in XLT trim where the orange is a bit much for my taste and too many reports of the bottom seat fabric bunching after just a few months and interior plastics being on the soft-side w/ the infotainment screen being seemingly narrower than designed and unfortunately not Sync 4 (or really even full Sync 3 on all but the top configuration). The Kia Sportage is much nicer IMO yet didn't make the list, having ripped off Mercedes but without the Mercedes price, while even the most barebones base model has a very easy to read full digital gauge cluster and its very feature rich for the price having things like 360 camera system that also allows 3D external view that you can rotate around, cooled memory highly adjustable seats (10 way w/ 2 way lumbar), etc. Heck, for $33.5K you can get a SX Prestige that is pretty loaded interior wise w/ dual 12"+ curved screens, 400 watt 8 speaker harman kardon, quilted leather everything, and so on. Even the faux wood trim looks and feels pretty real, and you can get it in some interesting colors if desired lake sage green interior or navy and gray.

CenTexMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: Subaru WRX, Challanger RT, RAM 1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Size wise... I remember when there were smaller trucks on the road. By today's standards, the Mav is considered small. Considering that I can carry 4 folks comfortably and have room for the occasional odd run to Home Depot or the ability to haul almost anything that falls into my realm of necessity or desire.... I can even easily park this in a regular parking spot easily. I would consider this Urban Size or maybe better yet, My Size.. :)

Interior? With all the criticism I hear... for the price, I have no complaints. Simple, straight forward with a little panache. I like the different textures/surfaces and don't mind the orange in my XLT. Seats a really comfortable, lots of interior room with plenty of pockets and nooks. Not such a fan of the radio, but it works and screen is well placed. I use my android phone most of the time anyway so it is pretty moot.

I am not looking to be spoiled with a lot of extra fluff and technology... I think it good the way it is. I think there are too many folks wanting this to be more than it is. What is was designed for, it fits perfectly. All the extra bells and whistles add to the cost. A majority of those extras have little no appeal to me.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey, Ford was just listening to all the griping about hard plastics... so they gave us a whole cab of soft touch plastics. So soft it scratches when you touch it :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

TMFord

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The design and layout of the Mav's interior is what most people appreciate about it, not so much the quality of materials. It's not the truck for Edward Scissorhands.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I love the Maverick XL interior color scheme, dislike the XLT color scheme, and I'm ok with the Lariat because of it's look. The seating materials on my XL seem durable enough and they are pleasant to look at, although, except for the color they could be be a little better. I wish Ford would add a stand alone option for a full leather interior in a few colors. Although, Katzkin leather is a quality upgrade from any Maverick's seating materials and at $1095 DIY price it's a good alternative. The website https://leatherseats.com has some great althernatives to leather. The carbon fibre seating looks great and they are supposed to have a soft touch model. Lots of options to add a little custom touch that improves the truck.

The plastic does scratch very easily. When I was installing my Sirius XM Commander Touch, I made a couple indentions in the plastic even though I was using the proper interior pry tools. I have a small scratch on the dash just by laying a removed panel there. I'm going to to a little wax on it to see if it will blend it in better. We'll see. I tried removing the trim around the vent to the left of the driver and the Navy Pier Blue covering scratched up way too easily. I need to find a covering to repair.

Even though it scratches easily, I still like the looks of the dash and trim covering. I love the graphite/Onyx over all color scheme and probably will stick with it when I replace the seat covering. I can see why Wards chose the Maverick Lariat interior as a group winner. It's very unique and it seems as if the seating material is very durable. Good job Ford. :cool:

Last edited:

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think alot of people here are arguing against totally different points on why it was chosen.

Layout, design and user interface was why it won. Not the quality of material or options. Two different things.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The quality of the interior materials is definitely what you'd expect from the cheapest truck (and hybrid) on the market. But, it is highly functional and my wife loves the overall look of our XLT interior.