A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would love an EV. but in Wisconsin there isn't as many charging places in the rural areas up north. Where I go camping (without electric). All EV's should have a smaller reserve battery that will get you at least 25 miles. In emergencies. AAA will bring you gas might be a little hard to bring electric LoL.
Sponsored

2cafn8d

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have my fingers crossed for a plug in hybrid with 40+ mile electric only range. I would order that in a second and trade in my current Hybrid lariat.
I would too. I could go back and forth to work on ev and have a backup. I'm not quite ready to commit to full EV yet.

PDM33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would too. I could go back and forth to work on ev and have a backup. I'm not quite ready to commit to full EV yet.
I would but with the market the way it is right now I don't know if I want to. I have my dealer ordering me a Mach E when the order bank opens next month but since it will be 12-18 months to get it I have time to decide if I actually want it when it comes in. If the maverick PHEV is announced in the meantime I will order one of those as well. I like options lol

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I honestly believe EV Charging Stations will be quickly solved. Google Maps is already showing EV Charging Stations. Setting up a new EV charging station is a nothing project compared to adding petro stations. In my area most shopping centers already have EV stations. Many restaurants, especially fast food restaurants are already setting up charging stations...almost like ATM stations. Most EV vehicles provide ample warnings and reserves to get to a charging station.

It's a matter of time for others to do this, but Porsche's new EV charges to 80% in 10 minutes. It takes me about that long to pump gas, attending it, whereas EV charging is unattended.

I do a lot of X-Country drives and the majority of the National Parks have EV Charging Stations. For the last 10 yrs more and more EV stations are popping up on all the long-distance drives.

If you go to Google Maps and type in "EV Charging Stations" you instantly see those available and mileage to a station. Unless you have a ICE for the longer trips, a Maverick hybrid will have to be my closest alternative.

Ford Maverick Maverick Lightning and Ranger Lightning trademarked as Ford's new electric EV trucks 1657645377263

Last edited:

PDM33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I honestly believe EV Charging Stations will be quickly solved. Google Maps is already showing EV Charging Stations. Setting up a new EV charging station is a nothing project compared to adding petro stations. In my area most shopping centers already have EV stations. Many restaurants, especially fast food restaurants are already setting up charging stations...almost like ATM stations. Most EV vehicles provide ample warnings and reserves to get to a charging station.

It's a matter of time for others to do this, but Porsche's new EV charges to 80% in 10 minutes. It takes me about that long to pump gas, attending it, whereas EV charging is unattended.
The Taycan can charge to 80% in 10mins at VERY select stations, primarily at Porsche dealers. The dealer has crazy fast chargers that cost them $500k to install and they can charge wo Taycans and then has to recharge for like 12 hours. Very cool tech but not something you'll be seeing at your local truck stop or Walmart charging bank.

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Could they be doing EV line = Lightning and PHEV = Thunder? It’d be a weird marketing move, but I couldn’t tell if the article rules that option out.
I like this line of thinking - mid-performance oriented PHEV lines for Maverick and Ranger would be awesome.

nathan.wright

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Mazda B2200
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
People need to decouple EV's and gas stations. The most likely reality is that you will be charging at home, while you are sleeping, and not at a charging station waiting obscene amounts of time. There are very few people that charging time will be more than an anecdotal issue. Range anxiety is another. When you charge at home every night, 250 - 300 miles of range is more than adequate for the vast majority of people.

nathan.wright

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Mazda B2200
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like this line of thinking - mid-performance oriented PHEV lines for Maverick and Ranger would be awesome.
Id prefer the full EV, as it would most likely have the most performance.

nubbuchadnezzar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tuscon Hybrid, Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting! -- they have talked a lot about more EVs though, not increasing diesels, and diesel fuel prices are way up. Plus the 150 Lightning is selling like hotcakes.

I wouldn't mind an EV Maverick if it had good range, since EVs have more internal space leftover for storage than hybrids. I have Stuff.

I'm one of the people trying to go from a car to a small truck, for gardening and such. If the Maverick will actually arrive. Never had a truck before.
There are probably 2 things that would make me get rid of my Mav Hybrid:
- Someone offering me $45K
- An electric version

Since I got my Mav, I've gone more than 30 miles from my house once (that was 200 miles away to Indianapolis for the Indy 500).

A small EV truck for ~$30K would be ideal.

Rockingchair

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I recently read a study (wish I could recall where) that the infrastructure in Calif is so frail that no more than 3 houses per square block could have charging points for cars without the power grid failing. Installing more charge stations without the resources to supply the power is not a solution. Last summer the gov of Calif issued an order to NOT charge electric cars during peak hours.

Sponsored

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would spend 98% of time charging at home. Road trips are a different story, but high speed charging is becoming more available depending on the capabilities of the vehicle. Today you can get a Tesla around 150 miles on 15-20 minutes of charge, enough to grab a bite to eat and take a bio break. You can experiment with websites like A Better Routeplanner to see what any given vehicle's charge time would be for your route. In a ~1000 mile journey ABRP says to stop 7 times for a total charge time of 1 hour and 40 minutes. Not bad, considering its not that much more time than it would take to gas up, grab food, and use the bathroom.

To each their own, but I would take the trade off of being able to use less expensive electricity 98% of the time and fill up my car at home.
When the whole country migrates to EV's, we'll see how less expensive electricity becomes. 👍

I hope you're right.

Yvonne Federowicz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Yvonne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT ordered 11/21; Subaru XTrek
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I recently read a study (wish I could recall where) that the infrastructure in Calif is so frail that no more than 3 houses per square block could have charging points for cars without the power grid failing. Installing more charge stations without the resources to supply the power is not a solution. Last summer the gov of Calif issued an order to NOT charge electric cars during peak hours.
The power infrastructure in lots of places is really frail, it's scary. We have some solar panels with net metering so charging in the day is not bad in the summer here. I'd love one of those "home batteries" but $$$.

The Ford Lightning can sort of double as a home battery though! I wonder if a Maverick EV would have a big enough battery to do that... Batteries have issues too of course...

Maybe I'll get a horse instead...

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The only person I know at work with an EV says they can't fully charge overnight at home from empty with their setup. I don't know what kind of power they are drawing from, but I would think that is another possible obstacle. The tech is not there yet for me, but I still find it interesting and if money were no object I would ALSO have an EV to go along with my ICE vehicles.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Worth noting, "thunder" is the code word for diesel, at least in Canada. So there's a roughly 50/50 chance these are going to be diesels instead of electrics.
What would be the point of a diesel maverick? It's a light duty pickup.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The only person I know at work with an EV says they can't fully charge overnight at home from empty with their setup. I don't know what kind of power they are drawing from, but I would think that is another possible obstacle. The tech is not there yet for me, but I still find it interesting and if money were no object I would ALSO have an EV to go along with my ICE vehicles.
It depends on if they are just plugging in to house current or if they had a quick charger installed. I'd like to know how you are supposed to evacuate an entire city as with Hurricane Katrina if everyone is driving EV's. Hybrid seems the best way forward for now.

ETA especially if the hurricane knocks out the power grid.
Sponsored