First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford has filed trademarks "Maverick Lightning" and "Ranger Lightning" in Europe and "Maverick Thunder" and "Ranger Thunder" in the US.
Sponsored

teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Worth noting, "thunder" is the code word for diesel, at least in Canada. So there's a roughly 50/50 chance these are going to be diesels instead of electrics.

Yvonne Federowicz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Yvonne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT ordered 11/21; Subaru XTrek
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Worth noting, "thunder" is the code word for diesel, at least in Canada. So there's a roughly 50/50 chance these are going to be diesels instead of electrics.
Interesting! -- they have talked a lot about more EVs though, not increasing diesels, and diesel fuel prices are way up. Plus the 150 Lightning is selling like hotcakes.

I wouldn't mind an EV Maverick if it had good range, since EVs have more internal space leftover for storage than hybrids. I have Stuff.

I'm one of the people trying to go from a car to a small truck, for gardening and such. If the Maverick will actually arrive. Never had a truck before.

Fleshman03

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks like there might be a Maverick Lightning coming out!
https://carbuzz.com/news/confirmed-ford-maverick-and-ranger-are-going-electric

Lightning The Names Of Ford's New Electric Trucks

CarBuzz sleuths have uncovered a massively exciting prospect for truck and EV lovers alike - the beginnings of an electrified Ford Ranger and Maverick. The Blue Oval recently filed to trademark both names with the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) overnight, giving us confirmation that new electric trucks are on the way.

So, what are these battery-powered pickups going to be called? It seems they will follow in the larger F-150's footsteps and adopt the Lightning nomenclature. The trademark, as seen below, shows these future models will simply go by the names Ranger Lightning and Maverick Lightning.

We've known for some time that electric variants were in the pipeline, but this is the first official step on Ford's behalf. Last year, CEO Jim Farley suggested an all-electric Maverick is a real possibility. " could envision producing a family of Maverick variants, including an electric model," the Ford boss revealed.

Further clues came earlier this year, at the official launch of the F-150 Lightning. The electric truck had its thunder stolen when the CEO aroused the curiosity of attendees. He suggested another electric truck "that's different from the F-150" is already undergoing testing. "We said very clearly we want to be the leader in electric pickup trucks."

This is most likely the all-new electric version of the Ranger. We don't expect the midsize offering to produce quite as much power as the Extended Range F-150 Lightning, but it's very possible that the lighter truck will utilize the Standard Range setup, with 452 horsepower.

Both the Ford Ranger (and the VW Amarok) are expected to go electric by the end of the decade. Can we expect an electric variant soon? It's possible, but the Ranger Lightning could also be the hybridized variant that Ford has previously promised.

Of course, the Maverick is already available as a hybrid which suggests any Lightning-badged variant will debut as a battery-powered vehicle. We anticipate this will most likely arrive in time for the pickup truck's mid-life refresh, and will possibly utilize some of the electric motor setups found in lesser Mustang Mach-E models.

As for when these electric pickup trucks will arrive, we're not sure. All we know is that Dearborn is not messing around when it comes to electrifying its popular pickup range. If the success of the F-150 Lightning is anything to go by, we're anticipating the battery-powered Ranger and Maverick models will sell like hot cakes - if Ford can get the pricing right, of course.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm curious what the Lightning Maverick will sell for given the fact Lithium prices are up over 450% in just the last year alone given demand versus supply. I would suspect it will sell for close to 50K by then if not more. Personally, I would much rather have a PHEV Mav with a 15KWh battery sitting in my garage.

Sponsored

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Frankly, the Hummer is a waste of batteries. You could make a bunch of smaller EV's with what it takes to make one of those things.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
EV = no thanks.

Not waiting in line for an hour to charge my car. Then waiting another 30+ minutes for it to charge. Life is already short. YMMV.

OP
OP
bwf4

bwf4

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
EV = no thanks.

Not waiting in line for an hour to charge my car. Then waiting another 30+ minutes for it to charge. Life is already short. YMMV.
I would spend 98% of time charging at home. Road trips are a different story, but high speed charging is becoming more available depending on the capabilities of the vehicle. Today you can get a Tesla around 150 miles on 15-20 minutes of charge, enough to grab a bite to eat and take a bio break. You can experiment with websites like A Better Routeplanner to see what any given vehicle's charge time would be for your route. In a ~1000 mile journey ABRP says to stop 7 times for a total charge time of 1 hour and 40 minutes. Not bad, considering its not that much more time than it would take to gas up, grab food, and use the bathroom.

To each their own, but I would take the trade off of being able to use less expensive electricity 98% of the time and fill up my car at home.

teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
EV = no thanks.

The 'waiting in line part' is why some of us are considering putting up pay chargers. More chargers, less waiting in line.

Only reason gasoline- powered cars didn't have this kind of infrastructure challenge, was because gasoline already had a few industrial uses and you could buy it at machine shops- which were more common at the time than electric car chargers today.

As for the "waiting 30+ minutes," that sounds like an excuse to take a break from driving and have a snack or something.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
Strange, we owned an EV for 3 years and never experienced anything like that.

Charged at home, overnight.

EV = no thanks.

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thunder is noise.

EVs are quiet.

Thunder is not EVs.

mtd14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Chevy
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Could they be doing EV line = Lightning and PHEV = Thunder? It’d be a weird marketing move, but I couldn’t tell if the article rules that option out.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Im thinking its the Chris Hemsworth model. Like the old Eddie Bauer or Bill Blass.

PDM33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have my fingers crossed for a plug in hybrid with 40+ mile electric only range. I would order that in a second and trade in my current Hybrid lariat.
Sponsored