Maverick Lariat Hybrid Road Trip

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
Wife and I went on a road trip to visit a few sights and visit relatives.

The trip started at home in Pennsylvania, and we traveled through West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia and back to Pennsylvania.

Impressions:

Seats were excellent.
Plenty of power through the mountains and for passing.
No engine or electrical problems.
Edit: The cruise control did most of the driving and worked flawlessly in the mountains.

The bad:

Road noise and air moving pass the windows and doors is very annoying above 65 miles per hour. Engineers probably didn't test in a real-world wind tunnel.
Ran into road work in every state and the brakes did that thud others have talked about with the abrupt stop. Almost rear ended twice in traffic. Wife won't drive now after it happened to her in traffic. Need a FIX FORD.

Trip Data:

I started with a full tank and ended with a full tank right up to the gas cap and have all the receipts in between. Will add up to see if the dash calculations are correct provided the Gas Stations are honest.

Edit: From Gas Station Receipts - $321.58/67.4606 Gals 2227.3 miles/67.4606 = 33.016 MPG

3.6 MPG Discrepancy in Fords favor.

Ford Maverick Maverick Lariat Hybrid Road Trip IMG_2088.JPG

Did see two bright blue Mavericks in Kentucky and a hauler in Indiana with three RIVIANS.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SayCheessee

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV
Lariat and still wind noise ? I'm lowering my expectation.

That's a great break-in.

OP
OP

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

That's a great break-in.
I believe the truck was designed for city use not a road vehicle. The wind noise is a function of sheet metal design and won't be addressed until a design change in 5 years.

Bobinmi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wife and I went on a road trip to visit a few sights and visit relatives.

The trip started at home in Pennsylvania, and we traveled through West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia and back to Pennsylvania.

Impressions:

Seats were excellent.
Plenty of power through the mountains and for passing.
No engine or electrical problems.

The bad:

Road noise and air moving pass the windows and doors is very annoying above 65 miles per hour. Engineers probably didn't test is a real-world wind tunnel.
Ran into road work in every state and the brakes did that thud others have talked about with the abrupt stop. Almost rear ended twice in traffic. Wife won't drive now after it happened to her in traffic. Need a FIX FORD.

Trip Data:

I started with a full tank and ended with a full tank and have all the receipts in between. Will add up to see if the dash calculations are correct provided the Gas Stations are honest.

IMG_2088.JPG

Did see two bright blue Mavericks in Kentucky and a hauler in Indiana with three RIVIANS.
Tell the wifey....practice makes perfect on the braking. Just how it is I believe, with the hybrid brake regenerative system. Easy peasy once you get used to it. Its like a clutch, takes a bit of getting used to.

Phileaux

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge SEL fwd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe the truck was designed for city use not a road vehicle. The wind noise is a function of sheet metal design and won't be addressed until a design change in 5 years.
It won't be addressed ever for a $20k vehicle. Their are several aftermarket door gaskets for wind noise. After I did my Edge 70mph sounds better than 60mph ever did.

Sponsored

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

That's a great break-in.
I just drove 1444 miles from San antonio to Cleveland Ohio going 75-80mph and didn't notice any wind noise out of the ordinary. Less than my 17' outback limited for sure.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wind noise, really? I haven't noticed any significant noise in my XL.

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've gotten my mav up past 75 and didn't hear any particular increase in wind sound with my lariat. However, the tires on the pavement can be a thing when they're not smooth concrete and instead some mix of asphalt that's textured or when you're on tar and chip. There's not much for sound dampening from below.

OP
OP

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wind noise, really? I haven't noticed any significant noise in my XL.
Others on the forum have mentioned the wind noise. My wife and I are at 70 years of age and have owned many cars and trucks and certainly can recognize wind noise. I don't know what significant noise is to you. Some people can't hear anything with the radio volume at 10. Some people have never owned a quiet car. Some people on the forum are cramming sound deadening material in every dead space for some reason.

It's all subjective based on hearing and difference in quality of the build. Doesn't matter whether it's a XL or Lariat the outer skin is the same and the air going over that form is the same.

Same with the plastic interior scratching. Recycled plastic to save money and be environmentally responsible.

Sounds like you have a good truck. Enjoy it.

TRUCKHEF

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tell the wifey....practice makes perfect on the braking. Just how it is I believe, with the hybrid brake regenerative system. Easy peasy once you get used to it. Its like a clutch, takes a bit of getting used to.
no, it’s a known issue on hybrids, the brakes won’t engage until you keep pushing harder and harder and then finally go they full 100% and the truck violently lurches….happens mostly at low speeds when crawling forward in a drive through or low speed traffic/ parking lot….still no fix it for it yet…and +1 to wind noise, mine whistles loudly out the passenger side window.

Sponsored
OP
OP

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
no, it’s a known issue on hybrids, the brakes won’t engage until you keep pushing harder and harder and then finally go they full 100% and the truck violently lurches….happens mostly at low speeds when crawling forward in a drive through or low speed traffic/ parking lot….still no fix it for it yet…and +1 to wind noise, mine whistles loudly out the passenger side window.
There should no interference in the braking system by anything on the car. Braking the car is the sole responsibility of the driver and should not be affected by new technology. Very dangerous and not something a driver has to get use to.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I actually found our XL EB we owned briefly to be very quiet at high speeds, and having owned cars from basically all the luxury brands from Germany and Japan... I know what quiet is. The Maverick was easily as quiet, if not quieter, than our recently departed 2016 Mercedes E-class and quieter than our current G70. So perhaps you have a build issue, and it's not just we peasants have never had a quiet car before.

Also 10% off on the trip computer MPG is industry norm in my experience. The only vehicle I've ever had to be able to get closer to 10% was a Lexus.

OP
OP

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually found our XL EB we owned briefly to be very quiet at high speeds, and having owned cars from basically all the luxury brands from Germany and Japan... I know what quiet is. The Maverick was easily as quiet, if not quieter, than our recently departed 2016 Mercedes E-class and quieter than our current G70. So perhaps you have a build issue, and it's not just we peasants have never had a quiet car before.

Also 10% off on the trip computer MPG is industry norm in my experience. The only vehicle I've ever had to be able to get closer to 10% was a Lexus.

I agree that 10% may be the industry norm, but why is it always in the manufacturers favor?

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree that 10% may be the industry norm, but why is it always in the manufacturers favor?
I'd guess because most don't bother to hand calculate and, as such, feel positively about it. Alternately, it is just really difficult to nail this down 100%.
Sponsored