Sponsored

Maverick is using 8F35 transmission. But why not the heavy duty transmission (8F57)?

hellokitty1984

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Bump, has anyone found out more information on this, or are we all just waiting for a potential trans failure? I keep seeing people modifying their mavericks for more power, and though I believe the 2.0L EB can handle the upgrades, I don't see the trans handling it well. I hope to see people upgrading the transmissions in the future.
Sponsored

AltoBAP

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jefferson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Bump, has anyone found out more information on this, or are we all just waiting for a potential trans failure? I keep seeing people modifying their mavericks for more power, and though I believe the 2.0L EB can handle the upgrades, I don't see the trans handling it well. I hope to see people upgrading the transmissions in the future.
Why don't you see the trans handling it very well?

What type of upgrades do you hope to see people carry out on their transmissions?

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

What type of upgrades do you hope to see people carry out on their transmissions?
I feel the same way about upgrading for power/efficiency, one of the things I enjoyed on my tuned Focus ST was the better gas mileage, it was a significant difference but I'm not confident the 8F35 transmission can handle it considering Ford's own technical specs say it was designed for a max of 260 lb-ft of torque. My Focus ST had a manual trans and I never had to worry

AltoBAP

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jefferson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I feel the same way about upgrading for power/efficiency, one of the things I enjoyed on my tuned Focus ST was the better gas mileage, it was a significant difference but I'm not confident the 8F35 transmission can handle it considering Ford's own technical specs say it was designed for a max of 260 lb-ft of torque. My Focus ST had a manual trans and I never had to worry
I would rather have a manual trans, 100%!

I believe the 8F35 has proven to be a reliable unit so far, but only time will tell when people start adding more power and abusing them a bit.

hellokitty1984

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I’m not sure what would allow for more torque, but if Ford’s own tech specs say we’re over standard max, then whatever makes it allow for higher values would be my choice. I’d rather higher threshold than being over and afraid to blow it one day while pushing the vehicle to its limits.

Sponsored

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is one person on here that has upgraded the turbo and several that have tuned the engine a good bit beyond stock and I have not seen any failures yet, but we will know soon as the tuning/upgrades progress. ...and we really dont know if Ford did anything to this trans for the Maverick application, there could be some internal upgrades to handle the extra towing stress while still using the 8F35 series trans, not seen anyone dive into the details of this exact part number used in the mav compared to other vehicles, it may be exactly the same, just havent seen it confirmed.

AltoBAP

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jefferson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
...and we really dont know if Ford did anything to this trans for the Maverick application, there could be some internal upgrades to handle the extra towing stress while still using the 8F35 series trans, not seen anyone dive into the details of this exact part number used in the mav compared to other vehicles, it may be exactly the same, just havent seen it confirmed.
I'll do some digging on this and see what I can find out. There are quite a few different variants of 8F35 and I wouldn't be surprised if 4K tow transmission has some heavier duty parts.

cj99x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM Power Wagon, 2022 Maverick XLT AWD RHCP
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'll do some digging on this and see what I can find out. There are quite a few different variants of 8F35 and I wouldn't be surprised if 4K tow transmission has some heavier duty parts.
Two vatiants aren't they drive by wire and drive by cable valve bodies? The trans imho is reliable, they took the best of the 6F9 GM trans and threw 10R parts into it. Removed I believe 4th gear and built a trans to save fuel. I have seen some bronco sports with huge tires running around and I am sure if there was going to be an issue then the abuse of the larger tires on these broncos would bring it out.

Jwhisl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 f150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I read somewhere the other day the difference between the 8f35 and the 8f40 ( lincoln corsair 2.3L) is the chain is 1/8" bigger. Not being a transmission guy, I'm going to assume they mean the chan in the power transfer unit that puts power to the rear wheels. That being said they appear to be the same transmission otherwise so horsepower and torque won't be as much of a problem as people think.

taralon

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Hybrid
Engine
Undecided
At minute 8:40 in the attached 8f40 teardown you can see that they use a chain to transfer power from the input shaft side to the drive shaft side. The 8f40 appear to split planetaries between input and output sides.

8F40 Disassembly - YouTube

Sponsored

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is the trans cooler on these a legitimate trans cooler that's out front getting fresh air or is it like the dinky thing on the F150 that hangs down back near the transmission?
I’ve seen it:
Option “B”. The dinky little thing that hangs down near the transmission.
•Plus a fin and tube in front by the radiator

Last edited:

maverickdubs

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have placed an order for a 4K tow package (with AWD and 2.0 EB of course, 250 HP 277 ft-lbs torque). I have a boat and trailer that weighs in at <3,000 lbs fully loaded with gas and equipment (lots of lures ha ha) and would also be looking at a light weight camper trailer (<3,000 lbs fully loaded). I have pulled the boat in the past (for many years and many miles) with a 5.0 AWD (215 HP, 288 ft-lbs torque) and 4R70W trans (700 ft-lbs torque rating) with a trans oil cooler and have had zero issues. I have pulled near the max with that set up (over 6,000 lbs) and no issues. The 4R70W has a much higher torque rating I am a little worried that if I use the Maverick for the same service I will be disappointed. Is there someone that has used the 4K tow package on the Maverick ( for long trips or many shorter trips) at 3,000 lbs to 4,000 lbs load that can share their feelings of how reliable the Maverick has been for them with regular towing? Maybe the software will address any potential concerns with over torque. I mean they have rated it for 4K with no other restrictions so I should be fine right, maybe I am just worried about nothing. I am looking for some real world feedback from anyone who maybe has pushed the limits of the 4,000 lbs with their Maverick and see if they feel comfortable doing that with some frequency. Thanks,
I tow every day for living, 7x12 V nose enclose trailler with landscape equipment inside. 3500lbs estimation, i'am at 45k milles. many short trip. changing oil trans at 30k milles and planing the next at 50k milles. changing motor oil every 3k milles. Everything it's good for now, trading Tacoma 2020 for the Maverick 2022, Mav pulling the same trailler better than the Taco.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I tow every day for living, 7x12 V nose enclose trailler with landscape equipment inside. 3500lbs estimation, i'am at 45k milles. many short trip. changing oil trans at 30k milles and planing the next at 50k milles. changing motor oil every 3k milles. Everything it's good for now, trading Tacoma 2020 for the Maverick 2022, Mav pulling the same trailler better than the Taco.
Smart move with the trans fluid, it doesn't take a lot of fluid for a change and the Ford fluid is relatively cheap.

TacoTanium

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does anyone know if this 8spd trans new for Ford or was it in their other vehicles?