Sponsored

Maverick is using 8F35 transmission. But why not the heavy duty transmission (8F57)?

jmcgon237

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In the 8F series transmission they make 3 torque rated versions. Maverick is using the middle rated 8F35 but there is an 8F version that can handle more torque, the 8F57. Does anyone know why Ford does not use it on the Maverick especially on the 4K towing units. I would assume the case and weight are the same and only internal items are stronger. And I do not know if the 8F57 was ever used with 4WD.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: JJC

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't know anything about it, but are you sure it's "heavier"? Maybe it's just for a different application for some other specific reason? Do you know what vehicle the 8F57 is used in? I do believe the 4K towing gets a lower (higher numerically) final drive.

Last edited:

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the 8F series transmission they make 3 versions. Maverick is using the middle version 8F35 but there is a heavier version the 8F57. Does anyone know why Ford does not use it on the Maverick especially on the 4K towing units.
I'd wager that the transmission is different in the 4k vs non-4k trucks.

Txjay

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XJ
You think Ford would mention this as an upgrade so more people would go for it?
I doubt there is a difference.

Sponsored

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It appears the 8F57 transmission is only for high torque V6 engines, such as the 2.7L V6 EcoBoost. That engine pushes out a little less than 100hp more than the 2.0L Ecoboost found in the Maverick, as well as about 100lb more torque.

It is likely overkill for the Maverick, an unnecessary waste of weight and cost.

MavrickEcoBoost

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
In the 8F series transmission they make 3 versions. Maverick is using the middle version 8F35 but there is a heavier version the 8F57. Does anyone know why Ford does not use it on the Maverick especially on the 4K towing units.
The 8F35 is a good transmission. The 4K towing adds in the oil cooler and bigger radiator. When towing it isnt so much about what transmission is in there. It is how to keep it cool. The stand alone cooler on the 4K package makes it just as good if not better than the 8F57.

dedMann

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FX4/LUX,60 Bug,ElementSC 5mt,Buell XB12X,BICYCLES!
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm curious if we can the extra transmission cooling found on the tow package to our trucks? I think traffic jams in Phoenix would warrant the extra cooling. This is my first Automatic transmission on 4cyl w/turbo. I know this little guy is going to make some heat and fatigue.

MavrickEcoBoost

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I'm curious if we can the extra transmission cooling found on the tow package to our trucks? I think traffic jams in Phoenix would warrant the extra cooling. This is my first Automatic transmission on 4cyl w/turbo. I know this little guy is going to make some heat and fatigue.
You would need everything attached to make it work.

Attachments

Sponsored

dedMann

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FX4/LUX,60 Bug,ElementSC 5mt,Buell XB12X,BICYCLES!
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mega Thanks! I hope this can be done easily and the engineers didn't ruin this ability to do this..

MavrickEcoBoost

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Mega Thanks! I hope this can be done easily and the engineers didn't ruin this ability to do this..
It looks pretty complicated. It isnt showing where the plugs are on the transmission. But by the look of the tubes it would be near the fire wall.

Potatomafia

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm glad someone asked this question as I had the same concerns. Just looking at the numbers, the 2.0L in the Maverick exceeds the torque rating of the 8F35. There could have been incremental improvements to increase the torque rating since the specs were published or Ford is planning on internal improvements for the Maverick especially for the Max tow package.

Looking at pics of the 8F35, it looks very similar to the 6F35 that was in my 2015 Transit Connect. Sadly, that trans committed seppuku. It suffered from axle seal leaks (documented in the Fusion) and the previous owner let the trans fluid level drop but continued to drive it. I got it and tried to rehab it but it blew up.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Numerically higher
Correct, of course. Not sure why I wrote that. Like one of the test questions in school you know the answer to, and you write the wrong answer LoL.

To give some value to this post, the 2022 Ford towing guide lists the following axle ratios:

2.91 : 1 Hybrid (2k towing)
3.63 : 1 Ecoboost (2k towing)
3.81 : 1 Ecoboost (4k towing)
Sponsored

Last edited: