Sponsored

Maverick is using 8F35 transmission. But why not the heavy duty transmission (8F57)?

D K

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado, M3, Corvette
i do that too…..

definitely 3.81 (42/11) is the way to go in case you plan on going with bigger tires later.

looks like Ford stuck with the 11 tooth pinion for all ratios (32,40 and 42 ring gear)

Correct, of course. Not sure why I wrote that. Like one of the test questions in school you know the answer to, and you write the wrong answer LoL.

To give some value to this post, the 2022 Ford towing guide lists the following axle ratios:

2.91 : 1 Hybrid (2k towing)
3.63 : 1 Ecoboost (2k towing)
3.81 : 1 Ecoboost (4k towing)
Sponsored

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the 8F series transmission they make 3 versions. Maverick is using the middle version 8F35 but there is a heavier version the 8F57. Does anyone know why Ford does not use it on the Maverick especially on the 4K towing units.
Weight and cost.

Have never seen any of these on a bench so there could be a physical size packaging constraints.

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 22, Lariat fx4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
https://www.transmissiondigest.com/ford-motor-company-and-the-hat-trick/

This article says the 8F35 is used for multiple 2.0EB engines, but it also is designed for engines with 257ft/lbs or less. It seems like a case of constant strain vs maximum strain to me. It's unlikely that people will put the transmission under full load most of the time especially in such a small vehicle.

I'm no engineer or even a vehicle technician. Maybe someone with transmission/engine tuning experience can weigh in on my assumptions.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

This article says the 8F35 is used for multiple 2.0EB engines, but it also is designed for engines with 257ft/lbs or less. It seems like a case of constant strain vs maximum strain to me. It's unlikely that people will put the transmission under full load most of the time especially in such a small vehicle.

I'm no engineer or even a vehicle technician. Maybe someone with transmission/engine tuning experience can weigh in on my assumptions.
Sounds like they looked at the size, weight and cost and decided that it was a corner they could cut. There will be likely be some wiggle room built into the transmission's torque rating and likely 99% of the time the -35 is perfectly fine.

I actually think that if this is the case it's a good decision on Ford's part. You can't have it all and still make it under $20k base price. If someone needs more they should probably get a ranger or F150.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Torque management software will keep everything in check.

Sponsored

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD Maverick XL, 2004 Insight Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

This article is from March 1st of 2019, so a little outdated. In the research I have done, I found a source that says Ford has an 8F45 trans as well, with a torque capacity of 354ftlbs, obviously slotted above the 8f35, which was stated to have a torque capacity of 258ftlbs.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This thread has nothing to do with the "base" price though. The EcoBoost is an option that costs more. The HD transmission would have simply been baked into the price of the EcoBoost option, this would not have impacted bottom line base price at all.

Either the 8F35 transmission will be a weak point, the torque is less than Ford's rating or the transmission has since been improved, only time will really tell us since Ford obviously won't. If someone's planning to go a little rough on their Maverick, I'd hope you got 4k-tow as cheap insurance. Keeping that transmission cool will be highly beneficial.

If anyone has concerns on the transmission, maybe checkout Edge forums for potential issues? It's similar in weight to the Mav, same 2.0L, same 8F35 transmission. I haven't checked, just a thought.
The part in red is a big reason why I got the towing package.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Torque management software will keep everything in check.
^^^^^^^^^
This.

They have gotten pretty good at pulling spark and dropping fuel. Hardly notice it anymore.
You can also play games with K factor of torque converter. Maybe they figured out how to make variable blade torque converters last.

TorqueWrenchUSA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03' VDC Outback wagon, 97' zoom zoom Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just stumbled accross this thread. I've done a little digging and found out that Ford also has a newer 8F40 trans as well that I'm sure is rated higher than what the 2.0L delivers. It's used in the 2021 Lincoln Corsair that has the 2.3L EB in it from what I dug around online.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Weight and cost.

Have never seen any of these on a bench so there could be a physical size packaging constraints.
I believe length and or weight or both eliminates the 8F57. John at Weber state made comparisons of trans but don't remember exactly what. Seems like he was just referring to number of teeth. Will have to review that again (Dang 78 year old brain that we both had to recover from blood thinner caused leakage four years ago).

Jwhisl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 f150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This concerns me a bit from an upgrade/longevity standpoint. Doesn't seem to me like the transmission will take any more power or even larg tires for very long. I hope this isn't the Taurus all over again.

Jwhisl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 f150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is the 8f35 in just the fwd or is it awd also?

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Come on guys, I've been getting castrated over in the "wish we had a manual" thread and here yall are talking about weak torque ratings and leaky seals. I can taste the ATF in my mouth already. I'm gonna be having nightmares!!!!

Seriously I've had 10 autos and 6 have leaked. Had 10 manuals and had one submerged too many time and filled with mud. Another had a clutch replaced. Had a couple linkage and shifter issues but not enough to immobilize.

Fingers crossed on this Mav trans.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!! 😤
Sponsored