First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac Escalade EXT and Toyota 4runner Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lucky you!! We haven't had snow in western NC in a few years. Looks like you guys got all of it this year. I have no idea how my fx4 does in snow.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lucky you!! We haven't had snow in western NC in a few years. Looks like you guys got all of it this year. I have no idea how my fx4 does in snow.
We had 15" a few weeks back in Boone....

Sponsored

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Love the pics, bet that was fun trip!

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did great! Went to Mammoth this weekend for snowboarding with friends. Roads were icy so I put on some chains. Never felt underpowered with three people, snowy roads, and lots of gear.

IMG_3549.jpeg

IMG_3593.jpeg

0ED16F5A-B21E-4FB9-803F-337934568F0B.jpeg
What kind of chains and how fast could you go? Glad to see you could get it done w/out snow tires. I have snow tires, so my chains will only be for extreme situations. I have the alpha trax.

I had traffic stop at night going uphill on a mtn in a 12-18" type storm. The car in front could not get going again. I went to pass (into wrong lane) but had trouble gripping even with the snow tires. I did get around and back into my lane but it was sketchy for a min, even with snows. AWD or chains would have been nice in that moment.

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XL Hybrid w/moonroof
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know I am biased, but it always amazes how good Cactus Gray looks in the snow.

Optimus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That’s awesome. I live in Minne-snow-ta, and ironically, we haven’t had much opportunity to test out winter driving due to an unusually warm and dry winter. We barely have 20 inches for the entire season so far, but most of that melted as it landed. We maybe have 1” of actual snow on the ground, and rain coming later this week.

I shouldn’t jinx myself though. I am not eager to test out the new Nokian snow tires. I put them on in November after our ‘23 was delivered to the dealership. I usually remove snow tires in late March/early April, but this year might be an exception. I am NOT looking forward to putting the crappy OEM Continentials back on.

Sponsored

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That gives me more confidence with my Hybrid now!

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That gives me more confidence with my Hybrid now!
Right on. I actually have more confidence in the maverick than most conventional trucks in the snow, FWD is definitely preferable over RWD on a truck.

This guy had a ram, early 2000s, lifted with off-road tires, and he was struggling more in the snow than our bone stock hybrid was. I actually had to slow down to get away from him, he was skidding around so much that I thought he was gonna lose it, and come into our lane. Almost certainly a RWD truck in his case, shows the flaws with having RWD, and empty bed, and slippery conditions. The maverick always has the weight of its powertrain pushing down on its drive wheels, it's brilliant.

Hunters Edge

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 crew
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Right on. I actually have more confidence in the maverick than most conventional trucks in the snow, FWD is definitely preferable over RWD on a truck.

This guy had a ram, early 2000s, lifted with off-road tires, and he was struggling more in the snow than our bone stock hybrid was. I actually had to slow down to get away from him, he was skidding around so much that I thought he was gonna lose it, and come into our lane. Almost certainly a RWD truck in his case, shows the flaws with having RWD, and empty bed, and slippery conditions. The maverick always has the weight of its powertrain pushing down on its drive wheels, it's brilliant.
It's brilliant until you have heavy weight in the back (hauling) and/or (towing) in the snow. That being said when empty and not trying to go up a steep hill, FWD has it's merits. There are trade offs in every circumstances. It's why you will see firewood or even snow in the bed with RWD. I personally will take or rather have AWD or 4x4 with limited slip and traction lock over FWD or RWD. Paying for it, is another matter all together.

OP
OP
Hennenator

Hennenator

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Last year, we had historic snowfall in Mammoth at over 700" for the season. Looking very dry this year comparatively, but still good! FX4 from what I've heard does great in snow. AWD truly makes a world of difference.

OP
OP
Hennenator

Hennenator

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What kind of chains and how fast could you go? Glad to see you could get it done w/out snow tires. I have snow tires, so my chains will only be for extreme situations. I have the alpha trax.

I had traffic stop at night going uphill on a mtn in a 12-18" type storm. The car in front could not get going again. I went to pass (into wrong lane) but had trouble gripping even with the snow tires. I did get around and back into my lane but it was sketchy for a min, even with snows. AWD or chains would have been nice in that moment.
I bought my chains here. They clipped on very easily but does require you to drive onto the chains. Compared to more expensive, self-tightening cables my friends had, these were installed and removed faster. Label shows a top speed of 25 MPH. YMMV. I've never tried snow tires living in southern California, but at $40 these chains are perfect for my use case. If you drive more often in snowy conditions, I can see snow tires being more convenient. Chains definitely do the job super well.
Sponsored