Sponsored

Maverick Hybrid is inherently flawed (but I still love it)

ripperAZ

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MachE 2021 Genesis G90 2032 Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They made a small truck that gets around 50 miles a gallon for $20,000 and they can’t make them quick enough and it’s the number one rated small truck by most of the magazines so you know what I think they did OK I would not say flawed I would say not State of the art
Sponsored

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
PHEV batteries range from 8 to 34 kWh. I think this is what you’re looking for.

Ford did a great job of optimizing the battery capacity of the Maverick. It gets about the same mpg as our RAV4, at about the same total weight, and a 1.6 kWh battery. That’s a 45% bigger battery, with no better performance In the rav4.

joeboxer22

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Honda Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To this day it puzzles me that Ford didn't price the hybrid above the ecoboost. Because people would have paid it (hybrids cost more on most platforms) and Ford would have sold just as many and made vastly more money. It's a real head scratcher. I would love to hear the Ford Maverick product manager talk about that pricing decision one of these days.
Marketing move plain and simple and to get people to switch from other hybrid brands. Thats my opinion. And that was before all the supply chain stuff and crazy inflation, they prob didnt realize the hybrid components would cost so much more.

Sponsored

glider

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4runner 2019 Honda civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So crossing one year and 20k miles, I still love my Maverick, but I can't stop and think how it could be significantly better. The issue is the sizing of the hybrid battery. The Fusion Hybrid has a 1.4kWh, and the Maverick only has a 1.1kWh battery. This really cripples the Maverick at highway speeds. It barely can eCruise at 60MPH, while the Fusion could go almost a mile without need from the gas engine. I sure the reason was price (they had that crazy idea of selling them for starting at $20k), and the increase in demand for batteries probably reduced the availability of cells. For them to make the Maverick fantastic, it needs something between 1.5-1.8kWh battery to help at highway speeds, which in my opinion is where it probably spends more of its time.

I am speculating that the majority of Maverick Hybrid owners don't live in cities and spend 90% of their time at or below 45MPH. I'm sure there are some, but I wager that most are suburban, using it for light yard and house tasks, and spends a larger portion of its time on the highway commuting. Once again, this is just speculation.

In short, I still love my Maverick, but I really wish it had a bigger battery. If they were to announce a 2024 with a bigger battery or even a PHEV, I would be at the dealership doors the first day of ordering.
The way things are going, lots of us will be putting in a MY24 order. And not because we already have a Maverick. Maybe the 24 ordering will start by Sept. in time for the July ramp up 3rd shift.

PlantMan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-250 4WD crew 8' bed; 2022 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Even though I have a 22 Maverick, I'll probably order a 24 one to maybe receive before the end of 25. Apparently we all now need to plan new vehicles a couple of years in advance.

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Even though I have a 22 Maverick, I'll probably order a 24 one to maybe receive before the end of 25. Apparently we all now need to plan new vehicles a couple of years in advance.
The moment I hear of an order-able Flat-towable Hybrid AWD Maverick, my next order is going in. My FWD Hybrid, inherently flawed as it has been described, is perfect for me now.
AWD while still being towable would eliminate any flaws for me.

svogt302

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang Boss 302, 2019 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Presume you meant kWh? kWh is essentially a cumulative amount of energy; kW is a rate.

2020 Fusion Hybrid came with a 1.4 kWh air-cooled battery, compared to 2020+ Escape Hybrid and 2022+ Maverick Hybrid's 1.1 kWh liquid-cooled battery.

2020 Fusion Energi (their lame branding for plug-in hybrids on Fusion and C-Max) came with a 9 kWh battery (up from 7.6 kWh previously).

2020+ Escape (and Corsair) PHEV does have a 14.4 kWh battery pack, in part to provide greater plug-in-electric-only range than Fusion/C-Max.

No need for a 14 kWh battery on a non-plug-in hybrid, since the engine still has to run to at minimum keep recharging the battery anyway.
Gotcha... Thanks & I was referring to a PHEV. My bad.... 😉

Sponsored

svogt302

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang Boss 302, 2019 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The moment I hear of an order-able Flat-towable Hybrid AWD Maverick, my next order is going in. My FWD Hybrid, inherently flawed as it has been described, is perfect for me now.
AWD while still being towable would eliminate any flaws for me.
I wish the order banks will open soon

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So crossing one year and 20k miles, I still love my Maverick, but I can't stop and think how it could be significantly better. The issue is the sizing of the hybrid battery. The Fusion Hybrid has a 1.4kWh, and the Maverick only has a 1.1kWh battery. This really cripples the Maverick at highway speeds. It barely can eCruise at 60MPH, while the Fusion could go almost a mile without need from the gas engine. I sure the reason was price (they had that crazy idea of selling them for starting at $20k), and the increase in demand for batteries probably reduced the availability of cells. For them to make the Maverick fantastic, it needs something between 1.5-1.8kWh battery to help at highway speeds, which in my opinion is where it probably spends more of its time.

I am speculating that the majority of Maverick Hybrid owners don't live in cities and spend 90% of their time at or below 45MPH. I'm sure there are some, but I wager that most are suburban, using it for light yard and house tasks, and spends a larger portion of its time on the highway commuting. Once again, this is just speculation.

In short, I still love my Maverick, but I really wish it had a bigger battery. If they were to announce a 2024 with a bigger battery or even a PHEV, I would be at the dealership doors the first day of ordering.
Perfection is elusive. Good, Fast, Cheap.
Pick two

redskins5

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford F150 Hybrid, 2022 mavrick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You've never been in a F-150 or larger then. My suspension is smooth as silk and rides like a dream compared to the new F-150's. I have F-150's for business use.
My 2021 F-150 XLT crew cab has a smoother ride than my Mavrick but not by much. both are extremly smooth for being trucks, a lot of tsmoothness is based on the tires on the truck as well.

redskins5

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford F150 Hybrid, 2022 mavrick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I thought the Fusion has a 14kw battery.
Remeber that a Plug in hybrid Mavrick with a second battery has been spotted being tested.

brickmagnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 MU 91 240
Engine
Undecided
The Rav4 hybrid "upgrade cost" vs ICE, gets you AWD too. Very much worth the $1200 or whatever the cost is now-a-days. If they put that drivetrain into a Maverick competitor we'd finally have another option. Toyota also includes ACC with their low end trims. No need for $10k upcharge like in the Mav.
One can dream.
Currently $3000 more from FWD & ICE to AWD & hybrid isn't bad.

Justifiable as one upgrade or the other, and I can walk into a dealer and have a car in a month if not a day, for MSRP. The dealers selling to each other at fantasy prices broke me of wanting one, if I have to deal with these kind of people for service.
Sponsored