Sponsored

Maverick Hybrid EGR valve unit failed at 400 miles, need a whole new exhaust system that backordered with no ETA.

PlantMan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-250 4WD crew 8' bed; 2022 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd be concerned that a vehicle purchased from a PA dealer won't be covered by the MD lemon law.
Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They may be erring on the side of the caution since, y'know, catalytic converters aren't really intended to be processing coolant-rich exhaust. Personally I'd certainly be glad it got replaced than have its lifespan potentially shortened to die (relatively) early just outside of the 8 yr/100k emissions control warranty and end up with a fat replacement bill.

Yep, likely threw a cat code as well. I’ve had a single injector hang open and ruin a cat in less than the 10 miles to took me to drive to the dealer.

Hopefully the OP will post the finding and a copy of the R.O.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd be concerned that a vehicle purchased from a PA dealer won't be covered by the MD lemon law.
I wouldn't. MD lemon law refers to vehicles registered in MD, not sold in MD.

Is it a Lemon?
Maryland's lemon law applies only to cars, light trucks and motorcycles that:

1. Are registered in Maryland, and

2. Have been driven less than 18,000 miles and been owned less than 24 months.

(Even if you are not the original owner, the Lemon Law might apply to your vehicle if the original owner purchased it less than 24 months ago.)

The law provides that a dealer or manufacturer must correct a defect within 30 days after the consumer writes to the manufacturer by certified mail. If the manufacturer or dealer is unable to do so, the consumer is entitled to a refund or replacement vehicle under the Lemon Law if the car has:

• A brake or steering failure that was not corrected after the first repair attempt, and that causes the vehicle to fail Maryland's safety inspection; or
  • Any one problem that substantially impairs the use and market value of the vehicle that was not corrected in four repair attempts; or
  • Any number of problems that substantially impair the use and market value of the vehicle that have caused it to be out of service for a cumulative total of 30 or more days.
If you suspect your car is a lemon—for example, if the dealer has tried once or twice unsuccessfully to repair the problem and you believe the problem substantially impairs the use and market value of the vehicle—you should write to the manufacturer immediately. You do not need to wait until the dealer has made the four repair attempts, or until the car has been out of service for 30 days.
https://www.marylandattorneygeneral.gov/Pages/CPD/lemon.aspx

OP
OP

Imanuel0912

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Imanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Accord Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello there! Could you please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information? I can look into things on my end.
@Ford Motor Company, thank you for stepping in try to escalated the situation. Obviously Mrs. Brittany Adams who handle my case didn't handle it correctly. She is aware of the situation that when I called in the customer service on November 14th, because of the part situation is backordered with no ETA. She is agreed to give a 10 days rental. But now she refuse it reimburse my rental expense with an excuse of if the part being backordered with no ETA "IT'S FORD POLICY NOT TO REIMBURSE IT", that what she said.

And on November 29, Ford Motor Company stepped in, which is great. Assigned me with a case number along with a new Customer Service reps, which is she's been great to work with. And she mentioned it's not Ford policy to reject a reimbursement because of a part being backordered without an ETA.

She offer me a customer satisfaction Rental Reimbursement Program, so I will be eligible for reimbursement on out of pocket rental costs Daily rate includes sales taxes, as long as it does not exceed Ford's approved amount of $45/day within the 10 day increments. Which is great.
But the new CS rep said she can't reimburse me the first 10 days rental expense because, I rented on November 20-30, due the case creation occurring after I rented my first 10 days.

I don't get it, seems like I got cheated with Fomoco, first got a CS with a very bad attitude who trying to give me a hard time in anyway not to reimburse me the rental. Now Fomoco assign me with a new great CS, which she in been very informative and communicate, but she can't reimburse the rental due she just assign after I rent the car.

PlantMan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-250 4WD crew 8' bed; 2022 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, I don't see how a Maryland law can place an obligation on an out-of-state dealer. Recourse thru Ford directly might be possible.
Lemon laws involve the manufacturer, not the dealer. The manufacturer is said to have built a defective product. It's no loss to the dealer if they sell you a lemon, other than any reputation hit they may or may not even notice.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Imanuel0912

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Imanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Accord Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
An update. Wow I can't believe Ford still couldn't provide with the part needed to fix my Maverick. It's almost 4 months coming this March 4. How could you become a giant car manufacture with sort on part with no clear ETA when the part will arrive. What make it worse how Fomoco handle my case. After Fomoco assigned me with a new case manager, she is super nice and informative, but result of whatsoever. The case manager told me to keep rental car for increment 10 days and she will reimburse the rental after the truck fix. But now it's been 4 months, I've been racking $4,200.00 for rental cars, and paying 3 months car payment without a truck in my possession. I spent over $6,000 for the 4 months period (not including a down payment toward the dealer) without a truck. Only drove it for 7 days. And now the case manager told me that I might not get approve for the rental car after the truck fix. She try to wash her hand, with offering to another department for the buyback program. Which another customer service from Fomoco offer me an official buy back for less then a MSRP price without the rental reimbursement. WT.. Fomoco.

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It so frustrating, after 399 days waiting, I picked my Maverick Hybrid FE Rapid Red on Wednesday, October 26 from Chapman Ford of Horsham, PA and drove it back to Maryland. On the 5th day on Sunday night, I noticed a lot white smoke come out from the exhaust. And on Tuesday morning I got a notification from the Ford Pass app that Service Engine Soon Warning. It said "The engine control system has detected the exhaust gas cooler is not operating as efficiently as expected. The apps suggest me to check if the vehicle coolant level is within normal levels in the coolant reservoir. When I checked it the coolant level in the reservoir is gone. I topped it up with the coolant from Ford, by the end of the day the reservoir is empty. And I found out that there is a leaking coolant from the bottom of the truck from the exhaust. So I bring it to my local dealer on Friday, November 4th at my local Ford dealer in Maryland where my neighbors work there as a mechanic. He is the one who working on my Maverick at the service dept. According to him the EGR valve unit failed, leaking coolant to the exhaust, and made white smoke come out from the exhaust tail pipe. According to him to replaced the failed EGR unit is too complicated. So he asked and got approval to change the whole exhaust unit. After a bit over a week the exhaust came at the service department, but unfortunately FORD sent them the wrong part. And they have to re-order again, but the problem is the correct part of whole exhaust is in backordered without any ETA when will they became available. So my Maverick have been sitting at my local Ford dealer waiting for the part since November 4.
What making worst was, I called the Ford Customer Service on Nov 14, told the rep regarding my situation with my Maverick. The rep who taking my case is Mrs Brittany Adams, I told her with the part being backordered without knowing the ETA, I need Ford to provide me with a substitute/rental car for my transportation, because I bought I brand new car with 399 days waiting period, only 7 days driving it for 400 miles, but it's a LEMON with more then 10 days (at that time) sitting the service and still waiting for a backordered part not knowing when will the part be available. Mrs Brittany Adams, agreed to provide me 10 days rental $45/day.
I consider my self tolerated with the whole thing being backordered, so I waiting almost a week before I started to get my rental car, because I can't use my wife car, since she got a new job that required her to use her car. The 10 days rental car is up end of November. So I called Ford Customer Service again to get thing resolve if the part still backorder after my 10 days rental up. The other reps that I spoke with, knows the situation, she suggested me to called back closer to the 10 days, and she told me that Ford might have other program to help me out, that I can extend to rent a car and get reimbursement. So this morning, I called Mrs Brittany Adams, the one who handled my case. She shoot me down not only regarding a rental extension, she refused to reimbursed my 10 days rental car. According to her, it's a FORD policy not to provide a reimbursement rental car if the part being backordered with no ETA. And she never ever mention it from the beginning, even I told her that since it's been on going with part being backordered, I need a car, since the dealer that I drop my Maverick don't provide a loaner.
It's a fricking mess with her and the whole Ford Customer Service representative. They all gave a different answer with no clear solution to a customer need.
I need to line up my resources to do a MD Lemon Law suit to Ford. Boy oh boy, love the truck, but hate how Ford treat customer.
Did it ever throw a code? I mean replace the EGR and give it back to you, when the exhaust comes in, the dealer should call you and set up a time to R&R the exhaust. How hard is this Ford?
I work for an airline, we could NEVER run an airline maintenance department like Ford dealers run their shops.

OP
OP

Imanuel0912

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Imanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Accord Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did it ever throw a code? I mean replace the EGR and give it back to you, when the exhaust comes in, the dealer should call you and set up a time to R&R the exhaust. How hard is this Ford?
I work for an airline, we could NEVER run an airline maintenance department like Ford dealers run their shops.
Just comeback from the dealer to check my Maverick, the mechanic told me it's not only EGR, it's the catalytic converter and the whole exhaust pipe. I saw my maverick there it's totally dead no battery, couldn't even open with the remote, have to manually open with the key blade.

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just comeback from the dealer to check my Maverick, the mechanic told me it's not only EGR, it's the catalytic converter and the whole exhaust pipe. I saw my maverick there it's totally dead no battery, couldn't even open with the remote, have to manually open with the key blade.
Well that is silly, your Mav can run with a damaged Catalytic converter...

Sponsored

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Well that is silly, your Mav can run with a damaged Catalytic converter...
Or for Pete's sake, go get someone to weld in a new one instead of replacing the whole exhaust.

Zorro

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the same situation.

after 500 miles my coolant start leaking. Had engine light on. Took it to dealer. PART NUMBER NEEDED FOR REPAIR NZ6Z*5F250*G. (Whole exhaust system)

THIS IS THE LATEST RESPONSE ON THE COPIS CASE, "SUPPLIER IS PAST DUE, CAPACITY ISSUES,,110PC IN TRANSIT TO THE PACKAGER TO PARTIALLY FILL BACKORDER,SUPPLIER PROMISED TO SHIP 80PCS WK OF 2/13,SUPPLIER PROMISED TO SHIP 96PCS WK OF 2/20,SUPPLIER PROMISED TO SHIP 96PCS WK OF 2/27,96PCS IN TRANSIT TO HVCS TO PARTIALLY FILL BACKORDERS"

so i called in to ford corporate today to get updates and they said that part is backordered and new date is April 17.

they provided me with car rental from day one, thanks to that. However, i want my car back, since it was purchased for work.

i dont know what to do. Please advice. Thank you.

NeedForSteve

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Fusion 2.3; 2023 HPR XLT EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm suspect of the diagnosis on this one. Was there any original mention of them changing the EGR cooler when the first batch of parts arrived? If that has failed, it will *need* to be changed regardless of whether or not the tailpipe assembly is on backorder. Also, along with the assembly, have they also ordered the upstream catalyst/manifold assembly?

If the tailpipe assembly is the only part you're waiting on, I'm wondering if maybe the part that has failed is the head exchanger, but I'm not sure of the construction and whether or not it would be possible for it to push coolant into the tailpipe at that location.

Also, replacing the converters still seems odd to me for coolant intrusion. Given the cost, I would think Ford would absolutely want the primary concern fixed and the vehicle taken through drive cycle before they approved convertor replacement.

Veer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
veer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
so, what has happened to these trucks? I am loosing coolant but see no leaks or smell under the hood.
Sponsored