Maverick Hybrid Confirmed

STDriver03

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford Sport Trac
I would think you'd want something that for short trips would run electrically only so long as there was a charged battery. If the battery ran low before you could charge it with a charger, the gas engine would kick on. But if you could get to a charger before the battery ran out, in theory you could never use any gas, always running on electricity. That's how I thought plug-in hybrids worked, no?

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
Some do work that way like my Volt. Others, like the Pacifica Minivan, Prius Prime, and the Escape have an electric motor that is smaller and fits into the drive train near where the torque converter sits. The electric motors tend to have lower horsepower ratings and only drive the vehicle without help from the gas engine under certain loads and below certain speeds. They are helpers to the gas engine. The system on the Pacifica, for example, is not controlable by the driver. Accelerate hard and the gas engine kicks in, go fast enough and the gas engine kicks in.

My Volt will do 85 (the speed limit) on the highway until the battery runs out and then the gas engine kicks on and starts generating electricity. So the gas engine is really more of a helper to the electric motor. I can choose to run on gas or battery. So, If I have a long trip panned, but know I will want to run on the battery when I get there, I can activate the mode that saves the battery and run the gas engine on the highway, then switch to the battery when I get where I'm going.

I like the system in the Volt and I think they never sold well because Chevy spent next to nothing on marketing them. Who knew that in 2012 you could even buy a US built plug in hybrid with 35 miles of all electric range? Chevy did, but they forgot to tell anyone else.