First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For what it is worth, the issue has definitely improved over time for me. In fact it essentially disappeared at about 2K miles. It was never a really big deal, but I'm happy it's gone just the same. Gone for the better part of a month now, and I'm able to use normal mode without a hint of grab. Hopefully breaking in cures it for more than just me.
Sponsored

Bobinmi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It DOES NOT bother me...I have LEARNED to drive it...Hybrid regenerative braking just takes a little getting used to... They are DIFFERENT as it is regenerative braking and charges the battery as it brakes. Stop the fussing over nothing.

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have 3600 miles on mine, same exact behavior you describe. I took it to a dealer, he said every checked out fine, of course he couldn’t duplicate the issues and ford had issued no updates, no notice to the service dept. I learned a few things here (poke around, some people have likely reasons it does this), and then spoke to another service dept. Never heard of it, again, no service notification from ford. There’s a ford rep that shadows this string and claims he’ll help correct the bug. Don’t waste your time, those service dept people never heard of it.
My experience is that it has decreased to almost gone over time, but wet weather will bring it back big time. Pump your brakes lots before you head out, that’s a big help.
About your brake noise, I’ve got that too but I haven’t seen mention of it on this thread. Service dept couldn’t duplicate that either. I live with it, it doesn’t do it much when backing up anymore but I hear it. Sometimes it sounds like my tire is scraping against the curb.
Net net? The lurching faded over time but watch out for when it’s wet. That noise? Probably the brakes breaking in, I think that too will subside.
Keep saying to yourself, 42 mpg, 42 mpg. I love it! I hope you will too.
Daddio
Pumping the brakes as I go down the driveway in the morning is how I solved a similar issue in other hybrids that I have had. It was mostly in the morning in cool wet weather when I has problems....seems to be the same with the hybrid Maverick.

I don't think that dealers will be able to do anything about it. It is most likely a programming issue, so until Ford issues some software update, there is nothing that a dealer can do.
But they can report issues to Ford. So I guess telling this to your dealer is a good idea! If Ford hears enough from dealers with this brake issue, that may get the ball rolling on a software update!

Reactions: Aza

Cad

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford Expedition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's always an Ah-ha moment when you see someone else has the same problem. In addition to the brakes grabbing as I come to a stop, there are times when applying the brakes they seem to resist stopping the truck completely and I'll really have to put my foot into it to stop before I rear end the guy in front of me. It feels similar to the grabbing issue, both happening at the bottom of the pedal.
'22 XLT hybrid
Anybody want my VIN too?
Same exact issue I’m having with mine. Seems like all or nothing. Keep pressing harder on it only really push down hard as to not hit the car in front. It’s a nightmare on a highway in stopped traffic.

FORD if you’re out there, this thread started March 2nd and nothing, no software update or any answers except send a pm with vin and mileage.

Last edited:

CPrevost

First Name
Cane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Mine has done this intermittently as well. Most of the time works great. Every once in a while I have to press really hard to get braking at low speeds. Sometimes I hear a thump before the brake engages. I’m guessing it is a common issue and we’ll hear about a fix at some point. Hasn’t happened enough to be a problem for me yet.

Sponsored

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mine has done this intermittently as well. Most of the time works great. Every once in a while I have to press really hard to get braking at low speeds. Sometimes I hear a thump before the brake engages. I’m guessing it is a common issue and we’ll hear about a fix at some point. Hasn’t happened enough to be a problem for me yet.
I heard the thump while braking for the first time today. 1200 miles.

Weird Harold

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid Velocity Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have noticed the same thing. At slow speeds the brakes tend to grab or are extremely touchy. I can live with it but it isn’t great. I think a number of people who have the hybrid have commented on this !

Randaddio

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have noticed the same thing. At slow speeds the brakes tend to grab or are extremely touchy. I can live with it but it isn’t great. I think a number of people who have the hybrid have commented on this !
Go back and read starting at the beginning of the thread and I think you’ll learn a lot about it. There’s another thread too talking about the same issues. There are people who have posted who know what they’re talking about and you’ll learn a lot. But as I understand it, until ford gets their thumb out of their ass and programs an update for us we ain’t gettin no help with this, that’s the net net. Read the entire string, I got a lot out of it.

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
It wouldn't be an issue except in traffic that's stop and go and you slowly brake the hybrid and the guy behind you is moving at your pace and the hybrid decides to slam on the brakes. Since it would be a rear end hit on the hybrid, the following driver will be at fault until some smart lawyer hears about this forum.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has anyone had any luck with these problems? I have a Hybrid XLT and I have about 4500 miles on it and seem to have the same problems.

I described to the the dealer that it either lurches forward at a stop, or I have to depress the pedals further on the secondary brake attempt (like inching forward in traffic). When I tried to have the dealer look into it, they can’t find an issue at all with the brake system.

The point of this vehicle for me is to get great gas, yet it feels like my Maverick makes me slam on my brakes just to come to a stop at less than 10 miles an hour.
Just guessing. In my case it appears to me that soft braking (Regen) with very light touch mave has to completely come to stop for at least 1/2 second then dash shows the %braking achieved. If I am anticipating coming to a full stop or say haved stopped for 1/4 second and the %brake window has not appeared and I let up on brake pedal then the truck will start the creep mode. Is this the lurch? If it's unexpected it may seem more than it actually is. In order to not engage hydraulic brakes at low speeds which for whatever reason can grab I have to use very light touch. I visualize only pushing the pedal 1/4" although it could be 1/2" but I believe no way further than that. Get on a flat parking lot and practice braking while not touching gas pedal only to start and stop the creeping movement. I personally have a stress ball (humor but it actually is a stress squeeze ball) hanging in my garage to indicate when it's 1/4" from windshield I have 14" between my back bumper and the closed garage door. I pull in and stop my truck while practicing light touch braking. One might pay attention to how far they move the brake pedal to stop from any speed Its been awhile since I have paid close attention to higher speed braking but there is a difference in pushing pedal past a certain distance maybe 1" to 1.5" to fully lock hydraulic brakes. They are touchy. In my 2012 CR-V brake pedal is now 2.5"-3". Will check fluid and possibly put new pads and replace all fluid.
My hybrid is acting a bit different than above. When the vehicle is cold and starts in electric drive, by the time I arrive at the first stop light which is like two blocks from the house and stop, it feels like it surges quickly a couple of times. Almost like it’s trying to jump Forward. This has happened a few times this week. Once it begins to warm up the issue stops. I just passed 1100 miles.
Since it is cold (I am assuming battery has not yet warmed up enough to accept all the amps Regen braking is producing so Regen braking is maxed out and there may be a slight delay before the computer can activate hydraulic brake. I would expect the computer would learn and anticipate better. Since it doesn't do it when it's warm maybe this.

Sponsored

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have had this issue between a half dozen and ten times over 1600 or so mostly city miles. As above, it happens when pulling into a parking stall (nose first) or creeping to a stop sign. Most of my driving is in eco and I at one point stopped using it in order to try to avoid the problem, thinking that having the truck back off the Regen braking would make the transition better. It did not help. Happens in normal and eco the same. I don't drive in slippery or sport much so I can't comment on that.

A part of this discussion reminds me of those threads pre- and just after release where people would have legitimate gripes and some fanboys would just blindly shout "it's a 20k truck, u don't have a right to expect luxury/convenience/safety/cheezburger whatever!" Say what you want about getting used to it, and folks are complaining too much, but a car is not supposed to go THUNK and give you a jarring stop at random. There will be a lot of spilled soft drinks/love taps in the drive through lane and stuff like in the future for hybrid mav drivers. Or the dogs that some of y'all like to have ride along with you unsecured are in for a (hopefully not that bad!) bump.

I mean, I have gotten used to a gimpy leg and I just limp around for the first half hour after getting up in the morning, but I understand that it ain't right and I should address it. Sobgo ahead and get used to this flaw if you like, but I'll hold out hope that the issue is identified and addressed at some point. I intend on having this truck for another 7.5 years (just until hybrid system warranty runs) and I don't want to just deal with it for that long.

/soapbox

codavis2

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Idk if anyone else has commented on this or not, but mine does not do this with the A/C off. It's almost completely smooth without the A/C running and goes back to being jerky at low speeds when it's on.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does it do the same thing in Sport mode?

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Idk if anyone else has commented on this or not, but mine does not do this with the A/C off. It's almost completely smooth without the A/C running and goes back to being jerky at low speeds when it's on.
I always turn my AC off several minutes prior to arriving at my destination in the interest of preserving my AC components (or maybe a vestigial belief that this is still necessary idk), and I still experience this issue when pulling into parking stalls.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Was raining a few days ago pretty hard, I had one of those slow stops in some slow/stop and go traffic and the brakes almost felt like the locked up as I tried to come to a slow stop. Nasty clunk sound and very abrupt stop. Was going 3-4 mph when it happened. I was in eco mode, temps outside were around mid 70s. This has not been getting better, if anything this issue is getting worse on my truck.
Sponsored