First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It has to be the wildpeaks because he has the 18" wheels. FX4 wheels are black and those get the pirellis. The 18 are wildpeaks IIRC.
those are 17" the optional wheels (see my pic) with the falken 235/65/17

Ford Maverick Maverick FX4 AWD Off-Road Overland Review (Pirelli tires in video?) - by Expedition Portal AFED164F-7C3F-41FA-AFE3-119CD451D9AB

Ford Maverick Maverick FX4 AWD Off-Road Overland Review (Pirelli tires in video?) - by Expedition Portal 500625A6-8B51-483B-9952-F2BC5B6F46B3
Sponsored

Pogeegitz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Expedition Max XLT, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Im sorry but you were not stuck. If the person in the cowboy hat would climb into the bed and mount themselves on the tailgate and bounce a little while the person with the camera pulsed the throttle in reverse you would get out of that just fine.

I know we got alot of car drivers buying these trucks, so this may be a lesson people need to know. But if you got a truck, weight in the bed will get you unstuck. I used to drive a 2wd 91 ranger with too much motor and a 5 speed through snow and mud 3 times that depth on pure street tires. But once winter hit I loaded 2 75lb sandbags in the back right by the tailgate. The worst I went through in that truck was 10 full inches of snow on a unplowed and crowned 2 lane blacktop. Sure I could only go about 35 even though the speedo said 60-70 but after 15 miles of it I made it home.
Lol, thanks Captain Obvious. I've lived in rural MN for 20 years and driven a full size truck for most of those. I know how to get out of snow in most situations, but these tires suck.
We did all that you suggested and more, this was after an hour plus of working at it in -20 F temps. We tried bouncing on the tailgate, floor mats under the tires, pine boughs etc. Ended up calling a buddy to come pull us out.

For context, this was a road we weren't familiar with, and didn't know that the pavement ended right there and the road becomes a snowmobile trail. Both front wheels punched through the top layer of crust, and were then spinning on the powder underneath. The treads quickly filled with powder and were useless. The body was nearly bottomed out on the passenger side (which looked far worse than this side)

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Lol, thanks Captain Obvious. I've lived in rural MN for 20 years and driven a full size truck for most of those. I know how to get out of snow in most situations, but these tires suck.
We did all that you suggested and more, this was after an hour plus of working at it in -20 F temps. We tried bouncing on the tailgate, floor mats under the tires, pine boughs etc. Ended up calling a buddy to come pull us out.

For context, this was a road we weren't familiar with, and didn't know that the pavement ended right there and the road becomes a snowmobile trail. Both front wheels punched through the top layer of crust, and were then spinning on the powder underneath. The treads quickly filled with powder and were useless. The body was nearly bottomed out on the passenger side (which looked far worse than this side)
Sorry didnt mean it like that, I was just going on the info I had from what you posted.

There was one thing you didnt try though, my big 300lb ass :ROFLMAO:. It has proven very successful over the years at leveraging stuck vehicles in the snow. Even with regular car tires. I've rarely had 4x4s stuck in snow or ice and it was for very drastic reasons like getting high centered on a 8ft tall parking lot plow mountain. Had to use a small folding shovel to move a quarter of that mountain before all my tires touched at once.

Anyway sorry I wasnt there to push ya out of the -20 ice, I'm stuck sweating here chopping coconuts in Maui:cry:

OP
OP

stevhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks everyone. It's obvious now that I need better tires. I don't want to have to call Matt's Off Road Recovery for help.:ROFLMAO:

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Faulken wildpeaks AT3W have been great for the snow for me up in Maine. Mine came from the factory with them. I personally would have switched then out if they had been the Pirelli’s or continental but that is my personal opinion

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I may have forgotten to agree that the Pirellis are weak offroad tires. The Falkens are mild at best. If you plan to do any offroading on any regular basis, I cant see why anyone would stick to a basic AT tire and not go more aggressive like a Duratrac or a Mickey Thompson. The KO2s are a bare minimum in my opinion. I personally hope to find a MT tire of some sort that I can squeeze on to mine. After the factory falkens are gone of course.

LARIATBLACKFUTURE

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ram 1500
Personally, I'd switch them out. I've got the Pirelli's and I got stuck in a rut much less severe than anything in the video.
1648653811932.png
The Pirellis are straight from the black rubber band company. Might as well be treadless....

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is no FX4 Snow mode. Slippery mode is standard on all AWD. There’s Sand mode which basically turns off trac control and powers all 4 wheels. This is closest you’ll get to 4WD on these trucks and it can pull you out of deep snow.

Ditch the Pirellis and ditch the 3 peak Falkens if you drive in snow and invest in Blizzaks or Hakka R3’s.

And remember, this is not an off road capable truck no matter what tires you slap on. You’re never going to conquer the Rubicon trail or anything approaching it.

HalfFast

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I may have forgotten to agree that the Pirellis are weak offroad tires. The Falkens are mild at best. If you plan to do any offroading on any regular basis, I cant see why anyone would stick to a basic AT tire and not go more aggressive like a Duratrac or a Mickey Thompson. The KO2s are a bare minimum in my opinion. I personally hope to find a MT tire of some sort that I can squeeze on to mine. After the factory falkens are gone of course.

I've run Goodyear Duratracs on my diesel for the last 3 sets of tires. I think they are pretty good tires, although a little pricey and noisy if you let them wear funny.

I've been very happy with them off road and in the snow as well.

I hope Goodyear will make some scaled down version for the Maverick. When I looked at them to replace the Pirellis, the 2 closest sizes are at least inch and a half taller than than either of the stock offerings from Ford. In addition, the are 21 lbs heavier per corner than the Pirellis and 15 heavier per corner than the Falkens.

While I am a fan of Duratracs, they are no go with their current offerings for me. I don't want to lift my Maverick to fit big tires and don't want to kill the fuel mileage with an extra 80 lbs of tire.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I've run Goodyear Duratracs on my diesel for the last 3 sets of tires. I think they are pretty good tires, although a little pricey and noisy if you let them wear funny.

I've been very happy with them off road and in the snow as well.

I hope Goodyear will make some scaled down version for the Maverick. When I looked at them to replace the Pirellis, the 2 closest sizes are at least inch and a half taller than than either of the stock offerings from Ford. In addition, the are 21 lbs heavier per corner than the Pirellis and 15 heavier per corner than the Falkens.

While I am a fan of Duratracs, they are no go with their current offerings for me. I don't want to lift my Maverick to fit big tires and don't want to kill the fuel mileage with an extra 80 lbs of tire.
Duratracs have always looked like a good tire to me. Just agressive enough for me. Honestly if I could squeeze 16s on it I would put super swampers on mine. Really the reason why most AWDs arent considered to be a a serious offroader is the tires they put on em. If you put mud tires on and 2wd unibody it will get through stuff you would never have considered with street tires.

I have to lift mine because of where I live, not to mention the extra clearance of tire height. 245/70r17 with a 2" spring lift will probably what I end up with. I'm not super worried about mileage as 20mpg will be a 80 to 100% increase over what I get now. Stock (235 falkens) will be fine for a while but I want to keep the body up out of the gravel as much as possible.

Sponsored

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Personally, I'd switch them out. I've got the Pirelli's and I got stuck in a rut much less severe than anything in the video.
1648653811932.png

MaineAssassin

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-450, Flex, Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Faulken wildpeaks AT3W have been great for the snow for me up in Maine. Mine came from the factory with them. I personally would have switched then out if they had been the Pirelli’s or continental but that is my personal opinion
Maine here as well. I kept the pirellis as summer tires and got a set of studded generals on a set of black rims. Noisy but unbeatable in the snow, of which we didn't have a ton this year.

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm confused, do XLT Maverick's ordered with the fx4 (and 4k, if that makes a difference) come from the factory with the Pirellis or the Faulkens? I'd like the Faulkens cause all the threads I've read about how capable they seem to be.

Thanks

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm confused, do XLT Maverick's ordered with the fx4 (and 4k, if that makes a difference) come from the factory with the Pirellis or the Faulkens? I'd like the Faulkens cause all the threads I've read about how capable they seem to be.

Thanks
I didn't order my maverick I bought from a dealership back in October but mine is both sn FX4 and 4k. I have seen people mention that the faulkens are an optional upgrade but they weren't listed as an increased price on my price break down... sorry I can't be of more help in the matter. They are very capable especially coupled with the AWD system in the maverick.
Sponsored