Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
The Ford logo on the factory liner is a cool feature that can’t be had anywhere else.
Agreed on both counts. In fact, seeing this recall makes me want to opt in for the factory spray-in if I wanted one, and just further enforces my preference for getting as much factory equipment and the least amount of aftermarket equipment as possible. Ford saw a problem, and the only things the owners are out are a bit of time and inconvenience to schedule an inspection and replacement.

But as for my bed liner preference, after having all the popular choices out there (hard drop in, spray in, Bed Rug, Dual Liner, Dee-Zee rubber bed mat, Weather Tech bed liner), my choice would a hard drop-in that is below the rails. Doesn't work for everyone, but works the best for me.
I hear the factory sibl is sprayed over the paint so it probably will only last as long as the truck warranty. Google sibl and many aftermarket companies are redoing the factory sprayed on other model Ford trucks.
Sponsored

Shelby1962

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many…
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hate to admit, I can relate to this issue. When I was 16 I riveted a metal patch to a ‘65 GTO trunk floor. Later I tried dropping the gas tank and it would not drop after the straps were removed..,Oops……

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
So? The badge says Ford and I bought from Ford.

I don't care whose mistake it was.

I hope this is not the start to a long list of issues.
I found out the hard way that it doesn't really pay off to be an early adopter. In a fool-me-twice (or thrice in my case) situation, I bought two vehicles before the midcycle refresh, and one vehicle five months after it launched in the US market.

The latter had a stuck blend door and it took like 3 months to get the parts. Luckily I have a fairly high tolerance for creature comfort issues.

The former two vehicles were Fords. While I did get some improvements by buying two years after release, I missed out on additional features in later model years.

If the timing works out then I'd say it's always better to wait to buy a Ford until its midcycle refresh. They sneak in just enough improvements and refinements that, if you bought beforehand you probably wouldn't be super bummed, but it can make you sometimes think "Darn, wish I could've/should've waited."

The Ford Edge came out in '06 as an '07. The timing worked out that I bought a brand new Ford Edge SEL with the 3.5L Duratec in 2012, two model years after its midcycle refresh. I think it had a recall or two (I honestly don't remember).

I also had a couple warranty-covered issues, one of which I was sure that I'd need to come back after parts were ordered. I was surprised when they said that the car would be repaired and returned later that afternoon because they had the parts in stock. In fact, they never had to keep the car overnight. The parts were all in stock.

I clicked off over 200,000 miles on that car. Aside from regular fluid and filter changes, the only other maintenance was that it needed one set of rear brake pads and the gas springs for the rear hatch replaced once.

Literally everything else was original. Suspension was tight as a drum and it never leaked a drop. My dad was driving the car and got t-boned by a red light runner. He walked away and the car was declared a total loss.

Compare that to say, my current Nissan Frontier. Weld on the slip yoke cracked. Fortunately I had literally like 3 weeks of powertrain warranty left, so I got an entire new driveshaft. I'm replacing the front strut assemblies next week because one of them leaked all the oil out at less than 60,000 miles. The lack of damping is causing the classic sawblade tire wear pattern from the tire bouncing too much.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go back to holding my breath and forcibly preventing myself from breaking my own "wait 'til the midcycle refresh" rule by ordering a Maverick Hybrid now instead of waiting!

Reactions: Aza

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What a bunch of idiots, I'm so pissed. Was suppose to be here 11/14, then 12/25, now with 2 recalls it'll be Feb at earliest. Think I'll buy something else and flip this when it comes in!!
I'm thinking the same. A lot of body panel issues are popping up on the rear drivers side roof trim. It is so freaking obvious. They are pumping these out too fast and quality is taking a back seat.
My truck is in the recall! 🥺🥺 Arrived at the dealership last friday. I was supposed to get it yesterday but because of the recall, the dealer can't deliver it to me. They have to do the inspection and she said it would be by the beginning of january. 🙄 I'm glad that my truck is at the dealership but it's a little frustrating to know that I can't have it! I just hope that they don't find a hole because I'm pretty sure they won't have the piece to make the repair..! 😬
I'm sure they don't have any Maverick gas tanks laying around!

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One would think they would stop drilling once they saw metal chips coming off the drill bit.

Sponsored

Portcqb

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Lux 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One would think they would stop drilling once they saw metal chips coming off the drill bit.
They will only get metal chips if they miss the drain hole the fuel tank is black plastic

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
I hear the factory sibl is sprayed over the paint so it probably will only last as long as the truck warranty. Google sibl and many aftermarket companies are redoing the factory sprayed on other model Ford trucks.
I don't doubt that. A friend of mine has an F-250 with the factory spray-in, and also carries a slide-in truck camper. The truck camper scraped part of the bed floor and removed about a 2x6" strip of bed liner, exposing the glossy paint underneath.

I consider the factory spray-in to be sort of like Plasti-Dip. It's strong as long as it's not damaged. But if it gets a big enough chip down to the paint, it just peels off.

When I got my F-250 Line-X'ed, it was an all-day affair. The shop spent probably a solid 4 hours on prep work, plus spraying and curing time.

DesertMaverick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit HD, Subaru Forester
Just one more reason not to get the factory spray in bedliner get it done after the fact
Would almost agree; however, at least with the spray in factory liner having this issue IT WAS FOUND and the problem was corrected with no dealer fault and no expense to the purchaser. I plan to maintain my order with the factory spray in liner. I would much more trust a factory worker than a dealer's non factory trained technician or even worse the agent of some third party the dealer contracts to do the work. Just like factory installed tinted windows....leave it to the factory to do it better as they are doing this all day long. Yes, someone screwed up, but it was found and the problem has been fixed and the issue won't happen again. Just my opinion. I don't always have the best experience with dealer service personnel. Have been burned more than once by someone who doesn't do the same job every day and often just uses a BIGGER HAMMER to fix a problem cause its' not their car anyway and they aren't planning to sell it to the consumer.

Jbuys

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mazda 626, 05 Ford Escape 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice! We skipped the 360 Co-Pilot because a vehicle doing its own thing feels creepy. But something tells me that, between the holidays and all the shortages and shipping issues, we'll see our truck in February. But holler when you get your window sticker. I hope to see mine soon.
I noticed last night it seemed like the Ford Tracking Website wasn't working, it asked to me put in the correct VIN and Order#, which I had, but it wouldn't do anything. So I tried this morning and boom my Window Sticker showed up, looks like it was built 12/21/21, thats what it said on the bottom of the Sticker.

Sponsored

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would almost agree; however, at least with the spray in factory liner having this issue IT WAS FOUND and the problem was corrected with no dealer fault and no expense to the purchaser. I plan to maintain my order with the factory spray in liner. I would much more trust a factory worker than a dealer's non factory trained technician or even worse the agent of some third party the dealer contracts to do the work. Just like factory installed tinted windows....leave it to the factory to do it better as they are doing this all day long. Yes, someone screwed up, but it was found and the problem has been fixed and the issue won't happen again. Just my opinion. I don't always have the best experience with dealer service personnel. Have been burned more than once by someone who doesn't do the same job every day and often just uses a BIGGER HAMMER to fix a problem cause its' not their car anyway and they aren't planning to sell it to the consumer.
I would have issue if getting one of these drilled out drain hole trucks. Did they drill out in the exact location of the factory drain holes? Did the damage the paint and corrosion protection of the bed floor?

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
8 ounces of "Hole Remover" added to the tank should take care of it 👍
Due to chip shortage the "hole remover" probably cannot be used because the chip used to recognize the bad hole from the good exit hole is on constraint.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well that being said! There's still no excuse for over 5000 trucks being recalled with this problem As they do it day in and day out. I'm just saying

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well that being said! There's still no excuse for over 5000 trucks being recalled with this problem As they do it day in and day out. I'm just saying
Most likely one of those "who'd have thunk it?" manufacturing errors. It sounds like someone drilling out a drain hole in the back of the bed and the issue was not discovered until gas tanks were filled up...probably by dealers. The vehicles compression check of the gas tank would probably not pick up a leak without at least a partially full tank of gas.

In most plant environments each employee or subcontractor laborer who works on a truck is tracked as to which trucks they worked on, so this should be able to track down which vehicles have to be checked. My Maverick was completed earlier this week but Recall Tracking website responded that my vin # could not be tracked yet.

Irregardless, my dealer advised me to drop the FORD SIBL or the dealer (him) could do it for me....but he admits it's done by a local subcontractor, hopefully Ford spreads the word as to which drain holes are vulnerable to puncturing the gas tank or gas line. If the dealer subcontracts out a SIBL you'll have a hard time warranting a gas tank leak. It makes more sense to have temporary screw in the drain hole while having a SibL done.

From an internet news report:
Fortunately for everyone, the Blue Oval isn’t aware of any accidents or injuries related to the previously described condition. A grand total of 5,456 trucks are called back, of which 53 percent are believed to feature this defect. Both 2.5- and 2.0-liter models are recalled, namely vehicles produced from May 20th through October 29th at the Hermosillo plant.
Sponsored

Last edited: