First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Curious on how long before we see a custom rear axle with locker under a Maverick?
I’d be happy with being able to swap the dual clutch in from a Bronco Sport Badlands.
Sponsored

houselog442

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Both had somewhat crappy for off road tires - I thought the S/C dual clutch was supposed to help ? That rear exhaust is gonna need its own skid plate -)
They did not have off-road tires at all. Both had Michelin Primacy tires, which are wonderful on road tires with long tire life, but they are not off road tires at all. Remember, that Maverick they used was NOT FX4. The Dual-Clutch transmission in the Santa Cruz is a transmission is essentially an manual transmission where the computer shifts the gears. It is mainly used on sports cars and economy vehicles, particularly ones with some performance ability (instead of using a poky CVT). They are awful off-road, and the higher end Santa Cruz uses is on their turbo engine because they want better mpg and better performance numbers.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I believe dual clutch is primarily an on road performance related enhancement, and is specifically a detriment for of road use generally speaking.
Dual clutch is definently a benefit for off-road use , the only Bronco sport that comes with it is the Badlands trim which is the most capable but again not sure why the S/C struggled in the off road test besides the tires..

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’d be happy with being able to swap the dual clutch in from a Bronco Sport Badlands.
Kind of hoping the Rattler/Tremor/Whatever comes with the dual clutch and rear-lock-

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Both had somewhat crappy for off road tires - I thought the S/C dual clutch was supposed to help ? That rear exhaust is gonna need its own skid plate -)
Yeah... The Maverick exhaust was the one thing that looked poor compared to the Santa.

Sponsored

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The continued resistance to calling them trucks drives me nuts.

Like,yes -- they are unibody vehicles. But being body on frame isn't what makes something a truck. If being body on frame made something a truck, then Crown Vics are suddenly no longer cars I guess.
Truck snobs!

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
not a good review. Viewing bait saving maverick to the end. Also, this is why they make FX4

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 22, Lariat fx4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Was pretty disappointed they didn't get the fx4 package on their maverick.
But I was impressed by its performance even without it.
Specifically though I was annoyed that they complained about not having mud/ruts mode and skid plates when they specifically chose not to have them.

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Kind of hoping the Rattler/Tremor/Whatever comes with the dual clutch and rear-lock-
I’ll be shocked if Ford offers a $40-$50k MSRP rattler/tremor, etc.
I wouldn’t hold my breath, Australia has had a Ranger Raptor for years and none in the U.S. Best you can get is a tremor package.Ranger.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ll be shocked if Ford offers a $40-$50k MSRP rattler/tremor, etc.
I wouldn’t hold my breath, Australia has had a Ranger Raptor for years and none in the U.S. Best you can get is a tremor package.Ranger.
The spy shots indicate a reworked front bumper and lift kit, nothing crazy but if the dual clutch would be included from the Bronco sport that would be sweet.

Last edited:
Sponsored

Zxdiac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Volt, 2016 Jeep Renegade, 2000 Montero
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why wouldn't they use the most off-road capable of both vehicles? I mean I know the Santa Cruz doesn't offer an off-road package, but the Maverick does. It seems like a strange thing not to do when they're supposed to be testing their off the shelf off-road worthiness.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dual clutch is definently a benefit for off-road use , the only Bronco sport that comes with it is the Badlands trim which is the most capable but again not sure why the S/C struggled in the off road test besides the tires..
The santa Cruz is a dual clutch transmission. The bronco badlands dual clutch is related to the AWD differential (I'm sure someone else knows it better and can explain). Definitely not the same thing, and the dc in the sc is definitely a detriment to of road use.

Z_ealot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 370Z, Honda Civic, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Was pretty disappointed they didn't get the fx4 package on their maverick.
But I was impressed by its performance even without it.
Specifically though I was annoyed that they complained about not having mud/ruts mode and skid plates when they specifically chose not to have them.
I think it was more a matter of what their local dealer or Ford themselves had on hand for them to test, pretty sure they addressed not having the fx4 package in the video at some point if I remember correctly

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why wouldn't they use the most off-road capable of both vehicles?
They can only test what they were given.

Ford swapped out the Maverick Hybrid they had for the Maverick EcoBoost AWD.

bob_vic

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
The only thing I could see being a problem with the unibody pickup is that it has independent suspension in the back, compared to a solid axle on the Canyon. The Canyon articulated less, even though all three have similar ground clearance numbers. The thing that imp rested me on the Maverick was that the one they are using does not even have FX4! They are using an awd version with all season tires and no skid plates and no hill descent control. Despite not having that, it still outmatched the Santa Cruz by a lot!
was looking for this comment. How do you test off-road without the off road package?!
Sponsored