First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also compared to GMC Canyon as a baseline.

Sponsored

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The continued resistance to calling them trucks drives me nuts.

Like,yes -- they are unibody vehicles. But being body on frame isn't what makes something a truck. If being body on frame made something a truck, then Crown Vics are suddenly no longer cars I guess.

OP
OP
Big_T

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Like,yes -- they are unibody vehicles. But being body on frame isn't what makes something a truck. If being body on frame made something a truck, then Crown Vics are suddenly no longer cars I guess.
I agree. Back in the day nobody ever considered not calling a Ranchero or an ElCamino a truck even though they were half car.

It's got a bed on the back; it's a pickup truck. No bed, a flatbed truck. Not sure why some people have made this complicated these days.

OP
OP
Big_T

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was surprised that they said they said they could smell the dual-clutch getting hot in the Santa Cruz.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's been a thing since the Ridgeline was introduced. I just call it a "pickup" omitting the truck part, and that doesn't seem to ruffle anyone's feathers.
I was surprised that they said they said they could smell the dual-clutch getting hot in the Santa Cruz.
Its not possible, wet clutches don't emit smell like dry clutches. That was just the tires, as the wet DCT would eventually just say "high temp" and stop the vehicle until it cools down and not make any smell. I don't think the DCT was an issue, its the AWD system that isn't putting power down properly to the wheel with grip that's an issue.

Sponsored

Z_ealot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 370Z, Honda Civic, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's been a thing since the Ridgeline was introduced. I just call it a "pickup" omitting the truck part, and that doesn't seem to ruffle anyone's feathers.

Its not possible, wet clutches don't emit smell like dry clutches. That was just the tires, as the wet DCT would eventually just say "high temp" and stop the vehicle until it cools down and not make any smell. I don't think the DCT was an issue, its the AWD system that isn't putting power down properly to the wheel with grip that's an issue.
Also have to remember on the Santa Cruz their “locking center diff” is actually clutch based as well, so that may have been what they were referring to

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also have to remember on the Santa Cruz their “locking center diff” is actually clutch based as well, so that may have been what they were referring to
While that would make more sense, they were talking about bringing a naturally aspirated SC with the 8-speed traditional automatic, but it would have the same HTRAC AWD system either way.

minnow

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Miata, 2007 V8 4Runner, 2019 GTI SE 6MT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Another thing they could have been smelling is the brakes heating up. Assuming the Santa Cruz has the ABS system standing for a genuine locker, it's feasible that the system generated enough heat to bed in the pads. My 4runner has done this, as has my GTI with the 'diff' settings cranked all the way up.

If being body on frame made something a truck, then Crown Vics are suddenly no longer cars I guess.
You're right - they're boats! I'll show myself out.

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You're right - they're boats! I'll show myself out.
I mean, they're almost the exact same length and width as the current Ranger 😆

houselog442

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
The only thing I could see being a problem with the unibody pickup is that it has independent suspension in the back, compared to a solid axle on the Canyon. The Canyon articulated less, even though all three have similar ground clearance numbers. The thing that imp rested me on the Maverick was that the one they are using does not even have FX4! They are using an awd version with all season tires and no skid plates and no hill descent control. Despite not having that, it still outmatched the Santa Cruz by a lot!

Sponsored

Ncretekos

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagen Atlas
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have almost the same exact maverick due in this week, i can’t wait to see it in person.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Both had somewhat crappy for off road tires - I thought the S/C dual clutch was supposed to help ? That rear exhaust is gonna need its own skid plate -)

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MachE, MachE, Explorer, C10
Engine
Undecided
Curious on how long before we see a custom rear axle with locker under a Maverick?

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Both had somewhat crappy for off road tires - I thought the S/C dual clutch was supposed to help ? That rear exhaust is gonna need its own skid plate -)
I believe dual clutch is primarily an on road performance related enhancement, and is specifically a detriment for of road use generally speaking.
Sponsored