First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I do not forsee a great deal of off-road need for myself, hence the hybrid option. However, it sure looks like the Maverick is limited in off-road capability, to be sure.
Sponsored

Grayhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Engine
Undecided
Nice to see the NW spots again, yes ditch those tires immediately and re-do the test with the Wildpeaks-
I don't see any option to order a named tire like the Wildpeaks? The FX4 option and choosing the alloy wheels get the 235 A/t tires. Is that it?

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't see any option to order a named tire like the Wildpeaks? The FX4 option and choosing the alloy wheels get the 235 A/t tires. Is that it?
Yes

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Nice to see the NW spots again, yes ditch those tires immediately and re-do the test with the Wildpeaks-
Already have a set of Falken Wildpeak AT Trails priced and ready. Going 235’s and they will be installed within 3 days after I get my Maverick. Tires do make that much difference. The Maverick was not designed to be an off road beast but it can be acceptable with the right rubber. I am more focused on winter weather driving and the Falkens will rock the snow and slush.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Already have a set of Falken Wildpeak AT Trails priced and ready. Going 235’s and they will be installed within 3 days after I get my Maverick. Tires do make that much difference. The Maverick was not designed to be an off road beast but it can be acceptable with the right rubber. I am more focused on winter weather driving and the Falkens will rock the snow and slush.
These test videos are neat but the places I have gone in my Element with only 6.9 inches of clearance and a lame part time AWD system has surprised me for all these years- With proper tires I am sure the Maverick will out "off-road" the element but the Honda has the short wheel base so its got an edge there. Will have to look up off road videos from 2004 to see how folks were probably saying yall cant take this thing off road- either- lol

Sponsored

04mach146

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe, dodge eco-diesel
😂😂 Isn't that the truth!!! My neighborhood is full of them! I don't own one, but a very good friend does. What a blast!!
They are fun but just thinking if u bought an xl. 20 awd. N lifted it put a bigger turbo and real off road tires u got a pretty nice off road toy for prob about the same but is street legal

Edit: also don't forget a/c and heated cab...

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't recall seeing the FX4 sticker being engaged. That and better tires should work. Also, having extra capacity cooling radiator will help keep the motor cool while you sit and spin those Pirellis.

shark978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
canyon
Engine
Undecided
Excellent review. Kinda reinforces my decision to just see the AWD system as an assist for wet, slippery, muddy, snowy roads, and an occasional challenging country driveway. Why I didn't bother with the off-road configuration. If I were really going out there, I'd be going Bronco instead.

yup. it's not made for off roading, but can do a little in a pinch.

we had the cold snap of the century recently in East Tx where I live, and everybody was basically completely housebound due to frozen roads for 3-4 days, unless you had a 4WD, probably decent tires and some experience too. That's what I want the AWD for, and it should be great for that.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After watching this video the fact that they stamp on and offer an FX4 OFF ROAD package on the Maverick is a disgrace. I didn't expect a full fledged rock crawler by any means but I'm 99% sure my 2012 Colorado with RWD only and a rear locker could have made it over those obstacles better. I get an AWD, but to specifically offer an FX4? We sure found out why Ford changed the frame on the FX4 and put tow hooks on, to enable it to be more easily pulled out each time it gets stuck.

Last edited:

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After watching this video the fact that they stamp and offer an FX4 OFF ROAD paqckage on the Maverick is a disgrace. I didn't expect a full fledged rock crawler by any means but I'm 99% sure my 2012 Colorado with RWD only and a rear locker could have made it over those obstacles better. I get an AWD but to speciffically offer and FX4? We sure found out why Ford changed the frame on the FX4 and put tow hooks on, to enable it to be more easily pulled out each time it gets stuck.

The disgrace is shipping those mall tires with an "Off-Road" package -

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tires are SO important when driving off-road.

Good review.
This was really soft sand like terrain, so he was being fair driving it in its normal state, but you or I also could have simply aired down the tires to 20PSI and I bet that would have made a ton of difference even if a bit inconvenient.

Phil3333

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I bought this vehicle for my wife to help her driving in the snow I think it will be great for that,my advice to people thinking they will try and do after market stuff to make it off-road worthy don't save your money this is the wrong tool for that job I have a Rubicon gladiator with a 4" lift on 38s that I play with,right tool for right job...

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is really a very good "drive review" of actual capability! I am glad I got AWD, and not the 4X version, which I did not need. I need the AWD only for Torrential Rains here in FL + I may do some camping and get into mild, very mild off road paths to traverse to a camp site. "Good stuff Maynard!" 100 points for the person that responds with affirmation of from whence that quote was stated - multiple times.... years ago!!??

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Excellent review. Kinda reinforces my decision to just see the AWD system as an assist for wet, slippery, muddy, snowy roads, and an occasional challenging country driveway. Why I didn't bother with the off-road configuration. If I were really going out there, I'd be going Bronco instead.
My thought exactly.

If I get the FWD, I'd expect it to do slightly better than a Civic off road.

If I got the AWD, it'd just be for better performance on road when it's raining or snowy or on maintained gravel.

I'd like to see how the Maverick AWD would do with some Toyo Open Country AT3's or equivalent. IMO, tires are the number one bang-for-the-buck improvement for whatever performance you need: better snow performance, better dry performance, or better off road performance. You're not going to win a 10k wearing cowboy boots; why expect good off road performance with all-season tires?

The AWD performance in the video reinforces that the Maverick is "enough" truck for me. My Nissan Frontier 4x4 with mud-terrain tires could've probably walked up that path with the logs that the Maverick got hung up on. But in my opinion, vehicles are really only fun to drive at or near the limits of their capabilities. So I'd be having a blast trying to find a good line, like the presenter in the video, for the Maverick to take.

Seeing the Maverick easily climb the grass hill was reassuring since that's realistically all I'd need the Maverick to do with no drama.

Now I just want a hybrid AWD! Can't hold my breath much longer!

txmaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6 speed manual
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
About what I expected. Upgraded tired and 1-2 inch lift or remove those plastic pieces getting stuck) and I think this would have made it up much easier ! I got the FX4, I do not expect to by rock crawling, I had a wrangler back in day and barely "off-loaded". I do expect to try and push this thing a bit and will probably get stuck, glad I got FX4 for those tow hooks... hah
Sponsored