First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW X1, 2018 Toyota Rav4, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
that doesn’t even make mathematical sense…

assuming 37 and 25 combined MPG for the hybrid and eco respectively and 700 miles a month driven and gas at $4 a gallon (the national average is actually $3.44 right now), that’s $908.10 per year for the hybrid and $1,344 for the eco.

that is not at all $100 a month difference.

these markups on these cheap vehicles to “save money on gas” is not worth it. Assuming you were even saving $100 a month on gas, how many year is that to make up a $4-5k markup like Op posted? It makes no financial sense.
Gas is more expensive in Vancouver, BC than the national average in the US...just saying.
Ford Maverick Maverick available at my dealer w/ markup 1674651584666
Sponsored

bearsfan647

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EBike - Future Ford Maverick!
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am averageing between 46 and 54 around town, it is only when I get on the interstate and run my Hybrid at 80 and 85 MPH that i drop down into the 30mpg and then I am usually avg 32 to 38mpg. so use those numbers and re-calculate
Sure. Then I’ll use those numbers and add a $5k markup as well. Should I then put the ecoboost at 37 since someone has gotten 37 combined before? Of course not.

that is literally the entire point of this. It is extremely dumb to pay a markup “to save gas”.

OP
OP

BubbaMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
UPDATE: No dice. Even though their website listed it for $27,747 they were selling it for $29,999 with no haggling on the price. With taxes that would’ve been $5k+ more than what I’ll pay… eventually. Would’ve been nice to have my Maverick early but not at that premium. I’m sure they’ll sell it today no problem.

I’m still glad I went down there, met with the dealer, and got to test drive the hybrid. I was concerned about ordering a car I had never sat in or driven, but there were just none around to test. I love the feel and look of it, and I’m excited when my own comes in.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Tmagri4

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
UPDATE: No dice. Even though their website listed it for $27,747 they were selling it for $29,999 with no haggling on the price. With taxes that would’ve been $5k+ more than what I’ll pay… eventually. Would’ve been nice to have my Maverick early but not at that premium. I’m sure they’ll sell it today no problem.

I’m still glad I went down there, met with the dealer, and got to test drive the hybrid. I was concerned about ordering a car I had never sat in or driven, but there were just none around to test. I love the feel and look of it, and I’m excited when my own comes in.

Which dealer has this???

Sponsored

bearsfan647

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

smart move. If everyone behaved like this the markups would be close to non existent.

Bear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus & Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are some good dealerships out there. My nieces husband was on a waiting list for a Maverick. He go the call and purchased a 2023 XLT eco boost at MSRP....No markup!

C J Cox

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The bird in hand theory works both ways. If the dealer has a customer with excellent credit in their showroom ready to buy, they’ll be serious with you to get the deal done. EOM approaching and that Maverick would be one more out the door.

If you won’t regret paying msrp-plus and the truck is exactly what you want, go for it.

Odds are are not in your favor that the 2023 order will be built.

Likely price increase for 2024 Mavericks.

OrangeBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Very good advice.
In order to get that deal approved by the desk manager, a salesperson will need a warm body with cash or approved credit, a written offer and a commitment to drive it home today.

Do what I did, call the dealer then go down to negotiate the total out the door price. I was able to get my Hybrid for half of the original ADM with no add-ons and a reasonable dealer doc fee. don’t try to negotiate over the phone, be there to prove you are a genuine buyer ready to take the truck home.

Good luck

OrangeBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Your incredibly fascinating math proof is missing a huge component.
Resale value.

The hybrid will likely return significantly higher resale value in a few years AND an extra 10 MPG.

Sure. Then I’ll use those numbers and add a $5k markup as well. Should I then put the ecoboost at 37 since someone has gotten 37 combined before? Of course not.

that is literally the entire point of this. It is extremely dumb to pay a markup “to save gas”.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BubbaMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are some good dealerships out there. My nieces husband was on a waiting list for a Maverick. He go the call and purchased a 2023 XLT eco boost at MSRP....No markup!
I don’t think they’re a bad dealership. I’ve enjoyed working with them and I’ll be happy to give them my money when my truck is ready. Like I said earlier I have no doubt that truck will be off the lot by the time they close today. If anything the markup, compared with what other people have seen at dealerships around the country, was pretty reasonable. It just wasn’t right for me, and thankfully I’m not in a situation where I’m pressed to buy a car ASAP.

bearsfan647

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Your incredibly fascinating math proof is missing a huge component.
Resale value.

The hybrid will likely return significantly higher resale value in a few years AND an extra 10 MPG.
what? It doesn’t even have a much larger resale RIGHT NOW and you think when the market corrects and mavericks aren’t in high demand it will be that much higher to make up the markup? Doubtful.

so again, assuming that was even true, paying $4k on the frontside in hopes you’ll recover $4K in both gas and then a resale is a hilarious bet.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

that doesn’t even make mathematical sense…

assuming 37 and 25 combined MPG for the hybrid and eco respectively and 700 miles a month driven and gas at $4 a gallon (the national average is actually $3.44 right now), that’s $908.10 per year for the hybrid and $1,344 for the eco.

that is not at all $100 a month difference.

these markups on these cheap vehicles to “save money on gas” is not worth it. Assuming you were even saving $100 a month on gas, how many year is that to make up a $4-5k markup like Op posted? It makes no financial sense.
I wish I could get gas that cheap. It's closer to $6 a gallon here (I'm in western Canada), not the US. I'm getting around 45MPG. Don't do much free way driving, almost all city, country road driving. At least half of each trip is electric.

I wouldn't pay a markup either, I was simply countering the clam that buying a hybrid if you don't drive over 1000 miles a month doesn't save you gas over the EB. Nothing more. I'm saving at least $1200 or more a year on fuel driving a hybrid.

bearsfan647

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wish I could get gas that cheap. It's closer to $6 a gallon here (I'm in western Canada), not the US. I'm getting around 45MPG. Don't do much free way driving, almost all city, country road driving. At least half of each trip is electric.

I wouldn't pay a markup either, I was simply countering the clam that buying a hybrid if you don't drive over 1000 miles a month doesn't save you gas over the EB. Nothing more. I'm saving at least $1200 or more a year on fuel driving a hybrid.
you countered a claim no one made.

unless I missed it… I didn’t see anyone say anything about 1000 miles a month, nor did you mention a markup that the OP did. I was using the numbers provided by the previous user and the markup example originally posted.

But so let’s use your numbers then. assuming your savings number of $1200 a year if you had paid $5k over sticker it would take 4 years to break even on a sticker eco. That makes no financial sense.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

you countered a claim no one made.
So you didn't bother to read the first part of my post, that you quoted, where I quoted the person who made that very claim. 🤣

You seem to have extremely selective reading skills, since I also said I would never pay a markup on a Maverick either. :rolleyes:
Sponsored