Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ok guys. Looks like SoCal is finally getting some much needed rain since we’ve been in a drought. I’ve been looking at hard tri fold covers from Extang, Gator, Bak, etc. for awhile now and I’m wondering what your experiences with each and rain have been. Do any of them keep the bed dry? I expect to do some weather stripping on the tailgate.

It doesn’t rain too often, but I wouldn’t want to be surprised by a random storm. Probably the only thing I’ll keep in the bed all the time is my son’s stroller and some tools.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chris McD

Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a bakflip on my Ranger and just went through the same storm as you. Just a very small amount by where the tailgate closes. 98% dry.
Nice to know. Do you have weather stripping on the tail gate?

OP
OP
Chris McD

Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Surprised no one who has a tonneau on their Maverick has encountered any rain. Anyone?

Sponsored

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It was raining as I installed the Undercover Ultra Flex. Stopped before I finished.

Reactions: TCK

thunaman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the hard roll up tonneau from Ford, I live in AZ and this past rain storm the truck was in the garage. I have washed it with the tonneau on it and got some leaking through the tailgate gaps as I do not have any weather stopping there. I intend to try and shore up the gaps, but I don’t know how much rain my truck will really see. The tonneau was more for securing items placed in the bed.

Ncretekos

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagen Atlas
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok guys. Looks like SoCal is finally getting some much needed rain since we’ve been in a drought. I’ve been looking at hard tri fold covers from Extang, Gator, Bak, etc. for awhile now and I’m wondering what your experiences with each and rain have been. Do any of them keep the bed dry? I expect to do some weather stripping on the tailgate.

It doesn’t rain too often, but I wouldn’t want to be surprised by a random storm. Probably the only thing I’ll keep in the bed all the time is my son’s stroller and some tools.
I haven’t been in rain but I took my Ute thru the car wash. I got the TruXedo soft roll up I got a little water both front and back I should have been 1 to 2 inches longer but for the price I’m ok with it I knew it going in.

tcw8848

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dry season in the Tampa Bay area. Might get some rain this weekend and report back on the Truxedo Pro X15.

Sponsored

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I haven’t been in rain but I took my Ute thru the car wash. I got the TruXedo soft roll up I got a little water both front and back I should have been 1 to 2 inches longer but for the price I’m ok with it I knew it going in.
I only got water by the tailgate and I thought I would get some up front even at carwashes..

Retiredguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick,2021 Ford Bronco Sport, 2020 Ford Ec
I have the OEM soft cover on my XLT. I installed the weather stripping and so far it has stayed dry through several storms.

Last edited:

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It was raining as I installed the Undercover Ultra Flex. Stopped before I finished.
If you were under it, this is a good sign!!

Mllombardi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL
Engine
Undecided
Surprised no one who has a tonneau on their Maverick has encountered any rain. Anyone?
I have a truxedo ProX15 and surprisingly I get no leaks at all but it would be unreasonable to expect that I will NEVER have any puddles. There is a flap that seals to the top of the tailgate. Leaks are most likely to be in the corners.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a truxedo ProX15 and surprisingly I get no leaks at all but it would be unreasonable to expect that I will NEVER have any puddles. There is a flap that seals to the top of the tailgate. Leaks are most likely to be in the corners.
I have a TruXeo TruXport on my Colorado. It has worked very well and I get minimal water entry, even in driving rain and storms.

I like roll-up tonneaus, but I am a bit concerned that many on this forum have reported the TruXport seems short and would seal better if a bit longer. Does the ProX15 seem to fit well, or does it suffer a bit in length as well? How is the fabric relative to vinyl in regards to cleaning? Pollen season is a challenge in East Tennessee for vinyl tonneaus.
Sponsored