Sponsored

Mav Alternative Thread: Looks like some people's Mavs (esp hybrids) are still a ways out. If you can't wait, what else have you considered/bought?

What's your solution to the long Maverick wait times?

• Total voters

cucumber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Outback
I picked up a used 2020 Subaru Outback (2k miles) yesterday that I got an excellent deal on - just slightly less than what I would have paid for my hybrid XLT Lux Maverick. Unfortunately, my previous car was having some issues and was no longer reliable. I really wanted to wait for the Mav but it just wasn't feasible at that point with how far out the hybrids seem, and I wasn't willing to settle for an EcoBoost.

The Subaru has a ton of interior space, especially with the rear seats folded down, so I honestly don't think I need the bed on the Maverick at this point. However, there's still the option of trading in this car when my Mav is finally built. (For clarification, I ordered my hybrid at the end of August, so I still have a while to wait - it probably wont be ready before the beginning of next year, if not several months after that.)

I'm gaining a ton of safety and convenience features I couldn't get on the Mav, plus an interior which I like significantly better. Plus, the Outback has what I (personally) consider to be one of the best infotainment systems you can get in this price point.

However, I'm losing the bed and taking a decent hit on fuel economy (the Outback I purchased tops out at about 33 MPG). I've come to terms with that, since the EcoBoost numbers aren't any better, and I work from home anyways.

Something to consider is that the 2022 Outback, when purchased new, is in a somewhat-different price bracket compared to the Mav (starting around 27k for the lowest trim, and topping out at around 40k for the highest trim level with no extra add-ons). If I'd bought a brand-new 2022 Outback with my configuration, it would be close to a loaded Lariat in price, not an XLT.

One final consideration is towing numbers - the Outback I purchased can tow 2,700 lbs (a 700 lb improvement over the hybrid Maverick), and this played a significant role in my decision. The Outback also has several trims available that can tow up to 3,500 lbs. Unsurprisingly, the Outback does have a lower payload (mine is 900 lbs). I think it goes up based on trim level, but I'm not sure by how much.

TL;DR:
Similarities: Both can carry 5 people, both have excellent fuel economy for their size, relatively similar towing numbers depending on trim/features, both are CVTs (the eCVT on the Mav is slightly different), both unibody vehicles
Differences: Price brackets, body styles, safety features, infotainment features, hybrid vs. non-hybrid, payloads.

If you guys have been looking at vehicles to buy instead of the Maverick, what have you looked at? Obviously the Santa Cruz is a contender, but I want to include other trucks and larger cars, too. The Outback isn't a pickup truck, but I feel like it matches with the Mav's target buyers well: urbanites who only need a the extra space for the occasional DIY job or trip to Home Depot.

Not looking for carryover vehicles here (i.e., you bought the cheapest Ford Focus you could get with the intention of trading it in when your Mav comes). Looking for people who changed their mind or couldn't wait and bought a vehicle that they plan to keep (or at least are undecided whether they'll trade it in or not). I still like the Maverick and plan to keep my options open, but I don't think I'll like it better than what I have now. Poll included with post.
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford has a $2k incentive for unscheduled custom orders to buy off the lot instead, although I think that applies only to '21MY orders so our Mavericks don't count? But that had me briefly consider a Bronco Sport Big Bend the dealer I ordered through has in transit.

Also I read that the Escape PHEV is no longer a total unicorn and the dealer I got my Fusion through allegedly has one. Although I'd have to lease to get the full tax credit which makes the whole deal kind of clunky compared to the Maverick I can straight finance.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was going to get a Prius for the gas mileage (52).

I also considered a Hybrid Corolla, which I refuse to get because I'd rather swing from the rafters than deal with it's trunk (My mother's Kia has one just like it, hate it) and a hybrid RAV4 (Very expensive, especially the few ones that are in my are and specced very high).

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Prius, '19 Indian FTR-S, '20 Mustang EcoBoost
I'm not/wasn't necessarily looking for a pickup. Just because of the similar price/creature comfort features, I was looking at the Chevy Trail Blazer. I originally passed over the Escape because I didn't like the looks of it, but its growing on me. I'm not in a rush for a vehicle though so I have no plans on passing on the Maverick.

Last edited:

jcsan18

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
I was honestly stuck. I don’t like the Santa Cruz and the Ridgeline is too much $, so I would have waited for the redesigned Ranger, or tried to find a used F-150, even though I didn’t really want to.

Sponsored

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 BMW 750 iL
I had to bail due to the reliability of my current car. Got a fusion energi from carvana for 15k on the way. I was looking at getting the lightning pro or XLT anyway. The fusion will hold me over…

OP
OP

cucumber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Outback
I was going to get a Prius for the gas mileage (52).

I also considered a Hybrid Corolla, which I refuse to get because I'd rather swing from the rafters than deal with it's trunk (My mother's Kia has one just like it, hate it) and a hybrid RAV4 (Very expensive, especially the few ones that are in my are and specced very high).
I was looking at the RAV4 hybrid too. I agree, they seem to be priced super high. Plus, The exterior styling on the RAV4 really turns me off for some reason...

Fluegelmeister

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Cx5, Miata MX5, Spec Miata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I found a nice used Mercedes Benz C-300 M. It's not my bag, so I'll sell it outright or see what the dealer will give me for it.

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So far, I have almost made an appointment to buy a kia stinger and I am eagerly awaiting the new civic hatchbacks to start arriving in significant numbers. If the reviews on the hybrid powertrain are not great, that plus this unknown delivery situation may well cause me to go a different direction. I don't need a mini truck and I will be happy with a hatchback; I've had hatches my whole life except for the prior gen ranger I had. And with the 2.5t kia or 1.5t civic, I'll get real world mpg that will not be far off of hybrid maverick for me to care. Who knows. I joked with my wife that if I rage bought a $38k kia, it'd probably cost us less over 10 years than the $26k Ford I ordered lol

Radar

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, F150
Considering Nissan Frontier Pro 4X, or Tacoma TRD off-road. A lot more truck for a little more money (compared to Lariat, lux pkg, Fx4, AWD, moon roof)

Sponsored

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
I am in a good position of not needing a vehicle and can wait until my truck is built. In the past, I could decide, research the vehicle I wanted, and make that purchase in a few hours (online). Now, I just need to be patient and wait because the process is out of my hands.

Initially, I said I would wait until November for a production email, but have decided to shut up and wait because I am in a good position.

maverick92

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, F150 Lightning
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My DD was a Model 3 and I had a 10 year Chevy Colorado stripper truck for weekend warrior work. Decided to sell the Model 3 to Carava at the beginning of summer and just use the Colorado until the Mav arrived. Truck was totaled last month so now I'm borrowing spare junk cars from family until my short-term Wrangler lease option from Chapman arrives in... 12 weeks! LOL

Shadow.Black

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van
I've been looking at the KIA Niro. It is the closest thing that I can find to the hybrid for the money. It has a little better gas milage but cost a few thousand more (2-4). I feel like those things offset.

It is also not an immediate need for me. At least not until my current ride breaks down (which could be in 2 months or 2 years). Waiting cost me nothing at this point. But should my current ride give out i may just opt for the Niro.

DarkStormy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My current ride is a 07 Nissan Frontier, the inspection sticker expired in July and I just don't want to make the necessary ABS repairs to pass. Was really hoping for a Dec. delivery of the hybrid Maverick. Not sure how long I can slip thru the cracks and not get caught. Come January my stickers color will be a dead give away of it being expired, so I'll have to either scrape it off completely or bite the bullet and pay for the repairs.

Ford lost me as a life long customer when they stopped making the original Ranger, The Maverick will bring me back into the fold if it's done right.

OP
OP

cucumber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Outback
I've been looking at the KIA Niro. It is the closest thing that I can find to the hybrid for the money. It has a little better gas milage but cost a few thousand more (2-4). I feel like those things offset.

It is also not an immediate need for me. At least not until my current ride breaks down (which could be in 2 months or 2 years). Waiting cost me nothing at this point. But should my current ride give out i may just opt for the Niro.
I was looking at the Nero too. It's a nice little crossover, but I decided in the end that it didn't have enough space for my needs. My plan was to get close to the level of storage I would have gotten with the Maverick truck bed, since we don't have an alternative truck to use (I know a lot of Mav buyers do).

Another option I was looking at was the Hyundai Tucson Blue hybrid. Definitely more expensive (all-in around 30K) but possibly doable if you had a hybrid lariat or loaded XLT scheduled. And impressive cargo space. Plus, it comes loaded (all the optional tech, interior features are built into the price). In the end, I went with the Outback just as a personal preference - the styling on the Tucson isn't my cup of tea, but it was a really hard decision because of that hybrid mileage.
Sponsored