Sponsored

Lucky, but Conflicted - Dealer has an XL EcoBoost AWD available (or wait for Hybrid)?

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First off - Hi All. Excited to be a part of the forum. I've had a Bronco on order since early Summer and have been a member over in Bronco6G.

Anywho - with all the first drives out on the Maverick I asked my local dealer if they had any to look at and went and sat in one. I submitted my order to them that evening for a Maverick XL Hybrid FWD Carb Gray (add - sunroof, bedliner, copilot, rear window, rear outlet) for $23,750. They called the next day and said they have an unspoken for Mav XL EB AWD Velocity Blue (add - sunroof) for $25,500 and it is scheduled to be delivered 10/26.

Lo and behold I'm updating my MY22 Bronco (since today is the first day I can do it) and I get a call from the dealer - the velocity blue Mav just hit the service department and should be ready for me to come drive this evening.

AWESOME! Except I feel like it's a total compromise. I WANT the XL so that's a great trim to start but I really feel as if the co-pilot (for the rear sliding window) and spray in bedliner are kind of non-negotiable. Then it's an AWD EB w/o a tow package so it's still capped at 2,000 lbs for towing and it ultimately is going to run about $2k more than the hybrid on order. The XL hybrid is a total value prop for me. A true swiss army knife. The AWD EB seems like a compromise. It's more truck for sure but for what? I have a Tacoma for 4WD. The power comes at the cost of efficiency and this is going to be my DD

After being put in the spin cycle by Ford on my Bronco order - I feel incredibly fortunate that the dealership has offered me this opportunity but I find myself excited to drive this one, then pass it off to someone else and patiently wait my turn in line for my hybrid to arrive whenever that may be.

Am I fool for passing it up? Am I fool for even going to test drive it and possibly get roped into something I may not end up being total satisfied with in the end?
Sponsored

WatchYourSix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First off - Hi All. Excited to be a part of the forum. I've had a Bronco on order since early Summer and have been a member over in Bronco6G.

Anywho - with all the first drives out on the Maverick I asked my local dealer if they had any to look at and went and sat in one. I submitted my order to them that evening for a Maverick XL Hybrid FWD Carb Gray (add - sunroof, bedliner, copilot, rear window, rear outlet) for $23,750. They called the next day and said they have an unspoken for Mav XL EB AWD Velocity Blue (add - sunroof) for $25,500 and it is scheduled to be delivered 10/26.

Lo and behold I'm updating my MY22 Bronco (since today is the first day I can do it) and I get a call from the dealer - the velocity blue Mav just hit the service department and should be ready for me to come drive this evening.

AWESOME! Except I feel like it's a total compromise. I WANT the XL so that's a great trim to start but I really feel as if the co-pilot (for the rear sliding window) and spray in bedliner are kind of non-negotiable. Then it's an AWD EB w/o a tow package so it's still capped at 2,000 lbs for towing and it ultimately is going to run about $2k more than the hybrid on order. The XL hybrid is a total value prop for me. A true swiss army knife. The AWD EB seems like a compromise. It's more truck for sure but for what? I have a Tacoma for 4WD. The power comes at the cost of efficiency and this is going to be my DD

After being put in the spin cycle by Ford on my Bronco order - I feel incredibly fortunate that the dealership has offered me this opportunity but I find myself excited to drive this one, then pass it off to someone else and patiently wait my turn in line for my hybrid to arrive whenever that may be.

Am I fool for passing it up? Am I fool for even going to test drive it and possibly get roped into something I may not end up being total satisfied with in the end?
Test driving it can't hurt but listen to your heart...you've been waiting for the Bronco so I'm guessing you understand the importance of getting exactly what you want versus compromising. I plan on test driving a Maverick when I get a chance but I won't be purchasing anything less than the hybrid XLT Lux in Alto Blue that I ordered. Nothing worse than buyer's remorse with an important high-value item.

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Test driving it can't hurt but listen to your heart...you've been waiting for the Bronco so I'm guessing you understand the importance of getting exactly what you want versus compromising. I plan on test driving a Maverick when I get a chance but I won't be purchasing anything less than the hybrid XLT Lux in Alto Blue that I ordered. Nothing worse than buyer's remorse with an important high-value item.
Thanks - that's the conviction I want to have! I ultimately think that is the way I am going but I'm going to enjoy the test drive tonight! Going to try and get them to let me keep the Bronco demo overnight too!

fordtruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
Since you already have a 4wd car I would say wait. I ended up going with a dealer stock xlt awd that was about $4k-$5k more than my hybrid order. I don’t regret it because the 4k tow and fx4 will be useful, but missing out of the upfront savings and gas savings over time will sting a little.

Mav2Scamp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K tow,19 CRV EX-L
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

If you take the dealers offer your going to regret it one day. Look, when I first saw the Maverick back in June I wanted the hybrid but since I had a camper trailer on order which when loaded would come in at 1950 lbs. Rater than stretch my luck and stress the power train I went with the AWD and 4K packages. Now hearing reports that the hybrid getting 50 mpg in some cases make me long for the hybrid, yah… I know I made the right decision but doesn’t change the feeling. My advice to you, stick with what you originally ordered because you knew what you wanted. The dealer is not doing you any favors they heard about the Mavericks’ insane fuel economy and I’m pretty sure they made. You this offer in order to get their hands on your hybrid and flip it foe more money. The choice is still yours, do what’s right for you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Since you already have a 4wd car I would say wait. I ended up going with a dealer stock xlt awd that was about $4k-$5k more than my hybrid order. I don’t regret it because the 4k tow and fx4 will be useful, but missing out of the upfront savings and gas savings over time will sting a little.
I'd probably already be at the dealership signing papers if it had the tow pkg and a spray in liner but without the tow pkg like you said - I feel like I'm giving up a few grand on the front end and get zero improvement in efficiency over my forester. I'd be gaining a truck bed over a cargo area (that now serves as a truck bed since it's been through it's paces now) for about $16,000. Not worth it, until the hybrid comes through.

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First off - the Mav is NICE!

I'll start with the few "disappointments" that I noticed and that might be an issue for me in the northern part of the US.

- Manual adjust mirrors: I really didn't think this would bug me and it probably won't once I get them set but it was a pain. I'm totally OK with it and I get the price cuts come somewhere

- No rear window defrost: the vertical rear window helps a little but seems like something that should be in there.

- Door pockets: Are trumpeted as large and accommodating but they cannot fit my 22 oz water bottle. It's too tall but it's nearly identical to the one pictured in the ads. Tried each available spot a few times and no dice. Fits perfectly in the door of a 2014 Forester. Not a big deal - it will go in the center console cupholders just fine but seems odd they trumpet something that really isn't a good option.

The GOOD

- Fit and finish: Granted my 2014 Subaru is now 8 years old but the Mav felt better than the Subaru ever felt even on day 1. Subes cost $28,500 in 2014 and Mav is $24k in 2021. The materials are hard touch plastic, some of it felt flimsy, some of it hollow - but overall the fit and finish and material quality is far better than the MSRP suggests

- Fabric seats: The quality of fabric is Ford. It will hold up but pile, fray, and soften up over time BUT the seats were really comfortable. REALLY comfortable. They are not the same seats in the Bronco and that's a good thing - I think they are better even with the manual adjust.

- Child seat tethers: In all 3 seats mounted to the rear cabin wall. Then LATCH connections for both outside seats (middle seat can share anchors with outside).

- Rear seat room: Good amounts of leg room - width is going to be a problem for 3 car seats

I drove the EB AWD so I can't TRULY compare how it will feel with the hybrid. I wasn't overly impressed with how it drove, rode, or the sound deadening but when you remember it's a sub $24k vehicle it makes it all relative.

I walked back in from the test drive and slid the keys back over the salesman on top of my order sheet for the XL Hybrid (add copilot, sliding rear window, sunroof, spray in bed) for $23,575 and my order was placed that night.

I can't believe for $23,575 a buyer can get THIS much vehicle. I can't wait for my hybrid - even though I know I'm going to be waiting for awhile!

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
- Manual adjust mirrors: I really didn't think this would bug me and it probably won't once I get them set but it was a pain. I'm totally OK with it and I get the price cuts come somewhere
If you ordered with CoPilot this isn't an issue. That gets you power mirrors on the XL.

jcsan18

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick

I'll start with the few "disappointments" that I noticed and that might be an issue for me in the northern part of the US.

- No rear window defrost: the vertical rear window helps a little but seems like something that should be in there.

- Door pockets: Are trumpeted as large and accommodating but they cannot fit my 22 oz water bottle. It's too tall but it's nearly identical to the one pictured in the ads. Tried each available spot a few times and no dice. Fits perfectly in the door of a 2014 Forester. Not a big deal - it will go in the center console cupholders just fine but seems odd they trumpet something that really isn't a good option.

The GOOD

- Fit and finish: Granted my 2014 Subaru is now 8 years old but the Mav felt better than the Subaru ever felt even on day 1. Subes cost $28,500 in 2014 and Mav is $24k in 2021. The materials are hard touch plastic, some of it felt flimsy, some of it hollow - but overall the fit and finish and material quality is far better than the MSRP suggests

- Fabric seats: The quality of fabric is Ford. It will hold up but pile, fray, and soften up over time BUT the seats were really comfortable. REALLY comfortable. They are not the same seats in the Bronco and that's a good thing - I think they are better even with the manual adjust.

- Child seat tethers: In all 3 seats mounted to the rear cabin wall. Then LATCH connections for both outside seats (middle seat can share anchors with outside).

- Rear seat room: Good amounts of leg room - width is going to be a problem for 3 car seats

I drove the EB AWD so I can't TRULY compare how it will feel with the hybrid. I wasn't overly impressed with how it drove, rode, or the sound deadening but when you remember it's a sub $24k vehicle it makes it all relative.

I walked back in from the test drive and slid the keys back over the salesman on top of my order sheet for the XL Hybrid (add copilot, sliding rear window, sunroof, spray in bed) for $23,575 and my order was placed that night.

I can't believe for $23,575 a buyer can get THIS much vehicle. I can't wait for my hybrid - even though I know I'm going to be waiting for awhile!
I think you made the right choice. I feel for you, since I know Bronco owners are waiting an eternity, and, in all honesty, I probably wouldn't have had as much willpower as you. The difference is that you know you want the XL and te hybrid, whereas I know I want the EB and Lariat, so we know what we are waiting for.

I hope your wait isn't eternal. Best of luck.

Texchappy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MINI Cooper S cabrio, 2014 Lincoln Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

The GOOD

Just a note for those in areas where lack of rear defroster might be an issue…
putting a glass coating like GTechic G1 will help because the frost crystals won’t stick very well.

Sponsored

MDRN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat First Edition Hybrid Rapid Red
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

The GOOD

With regard to the rear defroster, I had a Honda Del Sol and live in New England. The de-icing was not a big deal because it's a flat window to scrape. With light frost (since it doesn't scrape easily) the front windshield defroster threw enough heat to clear it quickly as the air travelled up the glass across the roof and right down the back wall, similar to the shape of the Mav.

Of course, I can't promise that since it's a larger dimension, but I have a hunch it will do a similar job.

Maybe It's Maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wait for what you want. The excitement will wear off after 6 or so months and you'll be in a vehicle not quite to your liking. My 2 cents.

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you ordered with CoPilot this isn't an issue. That gets you power mirrors on the XL.
No Sh*t?!?! Is that true?

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would want the 2 to be as different as possible. WAIT FOR THE HYBRID!!! This is also a long-term possession item so do not be too hasty and let your emotions over-rule your head.
Sponsored