Sponsored

Longevity, or First thing TO-DO when received new Maverick!

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
do you know what magnetic plug size is there? what would be your suggestion on eCVT oil change? every 30k?
Drain Plug size: M12 X 1.75
Good brands to google for:
GoldPlug AP-04
Votex
Dimple
... all have neodymium magnets, avoid cheap Chinese brands.

I plan on pumping out half the brake fluid, and also the eCVT fluid, both every 1 or 2 years, instead of full fluid changes. Easiest to do. Turkey baster for the brake fluid, and an oil extractor electric pump (cheap on Amazon) for the eCVT where the fill plug is simple to access.

If you're one of those folks who take extra care:
Insist on using a 0w-20 that meets both Ford WSS-M2C962-A1 & MB 229.71, the best set of tests. Change factory-fill oil out at 1,000 miles. ........ Use an over-sized Fram XG3600 or similar Amsoil EAO34 oil filter for finer filtering and longevity. .........Put on a M12-1.75 neodymium magnet drain plug to catch some iron dust, with a copper or aluminum crush washer changed at every oil change. ....... Change oil 20% before the Oil Life Monitor goes to full-on Red Alert.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mavmav

mavmav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid 2022
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
GoldPlug AP-04
just ordered one. Thank you! I think I will be doing the same every 1-2 years by refreshing brake fluid and eCVT with Turkey baster and oil extractor. how do you know that Amsoil EAO34 filter will work on Mav. Hybrid? is there any cross-reference at amsoil website ? I just couldn't find. I like your method of refreshing vs. full fluid change. saves time

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had no idea what the heck was a catch can found this video. he seems to think its needed on direct injection engines. Which I guess the Eco is but not hybrid. I don't have a mav yet is there room for a catch can?

Now the Ecvt. I did download the service manual that was posted on this forum have to read that to see how its done. Most transmission no long have dip stick so you have to get the fluid in by a pump of some sort. Is there a sight plug for level I wonder? Sorta like filling a rear axle fluid.

I will go with Krowns rust proofing as looks like a lot of work to do it yourself.

Catch can

OP
OP
mavmav

mavmav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid 2022
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
is there room for a catch can?
yes. there are a plenty of space for oil catch can. it is very small like 16oz cup of coffee. would you please send me a service manual. i couldn't find it. thank you in advance.

Sponsored

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
yes. there are a plenty of space for oil catch can. it is very small like 16oz cup of coffee. would you please send me a service manual. i couldn't find it. thank you in advance.
The service manual i downloaded off this forum is a pdf file that is 580 meg I cant email it. Can I attache it here? Oh I just went through the manual it doesn't cover the hybrid its the 2 liter one only. So no info on changing the ecvt fluid. I did find a video on a hybrid fusion rather simple.

I will TRY and attach it to this response not sure it will work. NOPE says file is too big.

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
......... B'LASTER SURFACE SHIELD Rust Protectant and 3M Cavity Wax Plus Aerosol Spray, 08852 with 3M Cavity Wax Plus Applicator Wand Kit. 3M worked very well in enclosed tube and frames where Surface Shield is good for underbody undercoating like crossmember and rocker panels. .....
Reminds me of 1981 when I had Ziebart drill holes in a Dodge Omni unibody chassis to spray some anti-rust in there (at least maybe they sprayed something in there; some have said they just got in a hurry & drilled holes with little or no spray inside). I remember they then plugged the holes with black plastic filler plugs. Also the usual undercoating.

I probably should have done something for the Maverick as soon as I got it. Not too late really although it might need a little pre-cleaning of those surfaces. Although I don't have a Ziebart near me, it might be better to get what mavmav used, or maybe por15.com.

Road salts are indeed serious corroders.

OP
OP
mavmav

mavmav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid 2022
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting thing!
plastic filler plugs
I would suggest rubber vs. plastic. once you drill hole cover exposed metal with oil or grease. do not worry about over spraying with oil eq. fluid film, surface shield or 3m cavity wax etc. 3m cavity wax it will creep to small cracks and excess oil will drip down once metal gets hot (in summer)

OP
OP
mavmav

mavmav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid 2022
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
BTW. transmission oil change procedure
i will use AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATL)
if you want to use ford oem oil: Motorcraft® MERCON® ULV Automatic Transmission Fluid
XT-12-QULV WSS-M2C949-A, MERCON® ULV
Ford Maverick Longevity, or First thing TO-DO when received new Maverick! 1670991237849

Ford Maverick Longevity, or First thing TO-DO when received new Maverick! 1670991367414

Start the engine and allow to run for 1 minute. Turn engine off and wait 5 minutes.
Check the transmission fluid level.
The transmission fluid should be even with the bottom of the transmission fluid leveling plug hole.

Install the transmission fluid leveling plug.
Torque: 26 lb.ft (35 Nm)

Sponsored

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Great stuff! Like you, I also will be keeping my Maverick for many years. I got under it and sprayed Fluid Film on the important bits. First oil change at 1,000 miles. Otherwise, I plan to follow the maintenance schedule and regularly detail it. I'm super meticulous about my cars so it always gets a ton of attention from me.
It's good to meet other peeps that are meticulous with vehicles, not many around

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

At one of your early tire rotations change out your two piece lug nuts for one piece nuts.
This is new to me, definetly doing this

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Drain Plug size: M12 X 1.75
Good brands to google for:
GoldPlug AP-04
Votex
Dimple
... all have neodymium magnets, avoid cheap Chinese brands.

I plan on pumping out half the brake fluid, and also the eCVT fluid, both every 1 or 2 years, instead of full fluid changes. Easiest to do. Turkey baster for the brake fluid, and an oil extractor electric pump (cheap on Amazon) for the eCVT where the fill plug is simple to access.

If you're one of those folks who take extra care:
Insist on using a 0w-20 that meets both Ford WSS-M2C962-A1 & MB 229.71, the best set of tests. Change factory-fill oil out at 1,000 miles. ........ Use an over-sized Fram XG3600 or similar Amsoil EAO34 oil filter for finer filtering and longevity. .........Put on a M12-1.75 neodymium magnet drain plug to catch some iron dust, with a copper or aluminum crush washer changed at every oil change. ....... Change oil 20% before the Oil Life Monitor goes to full-on Red Alert.
Are those oversized filters compatible with hybrid or only EB?

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are those oversized filters compatible with hybrid or only EB?
Works on the hybrid very well. ....... EB Mavs, I'm not sure, since it has to clear the under-engine cover. Somebody has to try it on the EB to check if the extra length isn't too much.

Kwanzaa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
No
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 Ecoboost XLT Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I received my 2.5 Hybrid. I plan to keep my Maverick for 10+ years. first thing I have done to prolong longevity of my Mav:
  1. I changed my first oil at 200 miles - glad I did. it was full of metal sparking particles. Main reason why i change is that I don't like the fact that ford is putting small oil filter and semi-synthetic oil blend vs. full synthetic oil and full size filter. After initial oil change sequential oil change will be done every 5-6k miles or 100 hours of engine operation. (oil used: Pennzoil Platinum 0-w20 with one 3/4 quarter of 5-w30 Engine works more smoother and much quitter) Cost $35. time 30 min.
  2. Oil Undercoating, I drive upstate NY and PA. there are tons of salt on the road in winter that will contribute to metal corrosion in just a few years. i chose to do B'LASTER SURFACE SHIELD Rust Protectant and 3M Cavity Wax Plus Aerosol Spray, 08852 with 3M Cavity Wax Plus Applicator Wand Kit. 3M worked very well in enclosed tube and frames where Surface Shield is good for underbody undercoating like crossmember and rocker panels. I didn't use fluid film brand in my case that is also very good option. Cost: 3M with Wang kit $60 and six cans of BlLASTER SURFACE SHIELD $60 (used four out of six) total $120. time 2 hours
  3. Sprayed with anticorrosion oil all ground terminals to prevent premature oxidation and corrosion. Bad ground may cause unwanted error codes. cost $2. time 10 min.
  4. Oil Catch Can. Since this is hybrid engine that starts and stops often, I added Oil Catch can to prevent carbon buildup on engine valves. cost $35, time 1 hour.
  5. I will change all liquids in summer when i reach 15-20k. coolant, brake fluid, differential and transmission oil. After initial change i will be changing liquid again after 80k or 3 years. cost assumption $ 150 time assumption 3 hours.
I am not mentioning mod that i have added: cruise control, lighting etc. this thread about longevity. Please add items you think that may add longevity to ford Maverick. Thank you in advance!
Im new to cars, and have a few questions

1. Can you provide a guide to where all ground terminals are that you sprayed?

2. Curious why you mixed differenr oil weights? this concept is new to me

3. what oil filter did you use for your first change?
Sponsored