Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
  • Banned
Reached out to Livernois Motorsports about tuning because I know they have tuned the Ford 2.0 ecoboost in other platforms.

Ford Maverick Livernois tuning for 2.0 Maverick is coming 645A99FC-4466-4D9E-95E2-EC446B79B9FE
Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok, I know next to nothing about tunes. What exactly are they and how do they work? What systems do they alter and how? I've heard there are "chips" that can be wired into a vehicle, is that what this is? Or is it more like a preset like "sport" mode but on steroids?

OP
OP
GaMaverick

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
  • Banned
Ok, I know next to nothing about tunes. What exactly are they and how do they work? What systems do they alter and how? I've heard there are "chips" that can be wired into a vehicle, is that what this is? Or is it more like a preset like "sport" mode but on steroids?
Chips are junk, handheld tuners are the real deal.

A real tune will feel like you have doubled your horsepower and torque.

These are handheld tuners that hold tunes on to them. They save a copy of the stock file on to the tuner and load a modified version in to the vehicle.

They adjust engine parameter for more horsepower and torque. You can base the tunes off fuel, a 87 octane has less power then a 93 tune. But both offer better performance then the stock tune that comes on the vehicle.

You can have an auto transmission tune they include if you want that will make the trans shift better then factory for performance, towing, etc.

You can also calibrate things like the tire size so your odometer reads correctly if changing tire sizes.

Most handheld tuners will come with a canned tune that is mild with different octanes that will work on all Maverick that have same engine and drivetrain.
But the best thing is ordering a custom tune that is tailored to each specific vehicle and super fine tuned to that specific vehicle For whatever parameters you desire. 87 Performance, 87 tow or 93 Performance, 93 tow, etc. You can even request eco tunes for better gas mileage, the trade off is less performance.

Last edited:

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Chips are junk, handheld tuners are the real deal.

A real tune will feel like you have doubled your horsepower and torque.

These are handheld tuners that hold tunes on to them. They save a copy of the stock file on to the tuner and load a modified version in to the vehicle.

They adjust engine parameter for more horsepower and torque. You can base the tunes off fuel, a 87 octane has less power then a 93 tune. But both offer better performance then the stock tune that comes on the vehicle.

You can have an auto transmission tune they include if you want that will make the trans shift better then factory for performance, towing, etc.

You can also calibrate things like the tire size so your odometer reads correctly if changing tire sizes.

Most handheld tuners will come with a canned tune that is mild with different octanes that will work on all Maverick that have same engine and drivetrain.
But the best thing is ordering a custom tune that is tailored to each specific vehicle and super fine tuned to that specific vehicle For whatever parameters you desire. 87 Performance, 87 tow or 93 Performance, 93 tow, etc. You can even request eco tunes for better gas mileage, the trade off is less performance.
The handhelds, I assume they plug into the OBCD port? Do they stay connected or do you just load the tune and disconnect the unit?

How do you go back to the factory tune?

JUrban

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Stinger, '14 F-Type, '09 G8 GXP, '22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The handhelds, I assume they plug into the OBCD port? Do they stay connected or do you just load the tune and disconnect the unit?

Sometimes it's stored directly on the handheld, depending on the model, but usually it's just a file you store on a PC. I bought a cheap netbook for storing tunes.

Either way, hook the handheld up to the OBD port, load the tune, then disconnect. Going back to stock is the same process. Only takes a couple minutes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GaMaverick

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
  • Banned

You plug in to OBD port for the tuning and can unplug but some tuners like SCT you can leave the tuner plugged in to the port, buy a mount for the tuner and use it as a gauge that will display multiple setting.

All the new handhelds I have used store the factory tune on to them. If you are tuning via a laptop then it will store the tune on the laptop.

if your wondering about reliability of hand held custom tunes. I have a custom 93 tune with performance transmission shifting on my 2013 with less then 1k miles on it. Never had one problem to this day. I now use a tune (by same tuner) with a twin turbo setup I added to a NA engine and different transmission converter. The Mustang still runs perfectly.
The key is finding a well known big name reliable company like Livernois, Cobb, etc. for tuning that has invested real time in the tunes. If you can find a company like the two above (there are others) who have done other platforms with the 2.0 ecoboost that’s a huge plus.

Last edited:

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So you buy the handheld device then you buy the tuning program to load on it?

OP
OP
GaMaverick

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
  • Banned
So you buy the handheld device then you buy the tuning program to load on it?
No usually the handheld device comes with canned tunes. Generic performance tunes you can load in to your truck. Or you can opt to buy custom tunes that are loaded on to the hand held device or sent to you via email that you load on to the hand held device then load in to your vehicle via OBD port.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No usually the handheld device comes with canned tunes. Generic performance tunes you can load in to your truck. Or you can opt to buy custom tunes that are loaded on to the hand held device or sent to you via email that you load on to the hand held device then load in to your vehicle via OBD port.
Are the handhelds model specific? Any good brands you are familiar with? Any you would stay away from?

Sorry for all the questions but this is all new to me. Elsewhere somebody posted that they thought they could get 300-350 hp out of the ecoboost and that caught my attention.

OP
OP
GaMaverick

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Are the handhelds model specific? Any good brands you are familiar with? Any you would stay away from?

Sorry for all the questions but this is all new to me. Elsewhere somebody posted that they thought they could get 300-350 hp out of the ecoboost and that caught my attention.
I would wait until the big tuners come out with tunes. Then pick whichever model handheld tuner they support and you could use the can tunes u til you want custom.

Sponsored

Mas280

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had the worst tune from Livernois for my Ranger. I will wait for someone else to have a tune.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had the worst tune from Livernois for my Ranger. I will wait for someone else to have a tune.
Yeah, this is one of those things where it pays to wait and see what works.

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
Livernoise is very well versed in EcoBoost tuning,

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD

It's possible yes.. but with additional exhaust and other mods. Best of ideas...ehh.. I'd be weary of the 8 speed in the mavs at 350hp esp.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's possible yes.. but with additional exhaust and other mods. Best of ideas...ehh.. I'd be weary of the 8 speed in the mavs at 350hp esp.
I'm wary of invalidating my factory warranty. If something can be done that won't give ford an excuse to drop the warranty that's fine.
Sponsored