DangerZone

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm looking tires for my hybrid Mav that are lighter in weight than the included tires but still have the capability of those tires. My understanding is that the included tires are about 25 pounds. Has anyone come across tires that would meet these conditions?
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hard to get much lighter than 25lbs. There's the Bridgestone Weatherpeak @ 22 lbs although they're only 10/32nd so you're giving up a bit of tread depth.

HalfFast

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Ford picked the tires they did for a reason. It's a new model and they want to advertise the mpg, not how sticky or how well they do in snow or rain or how long they last.

I don't know about highway tires, but I looked at a lot of tire weights on tire rack and the Pirellis in the stock size are the lightest A/T tires there are.

My guess is that you won't find a set light enough to make a big enough difference to save the money in gas to pay the difference between what you would get for your tires and the cost of a new set.

That being said, if you want new tires, try to find the best performing tire for your needs that fit your budget and if there are multiple contenders then go by weight.

canyonero

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been looking into lighter rims myself to replace the steelies. I've gone down 5lbs per wheel before and it made a huge difference in braking and acceleration from a roll (same wheel dimensions).

OP
OP

DangerZone

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been looking into lighter rims myself to replace the steelies. I've gone down 5lbs per wheel before and it made a huge difference in braking and acceleration from a roll (same wheel dimensions).
Thank you, lighter rims it is then. My Mav is oxford white what do you think of white rims?

Sponsored

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you, lighter rims it is then. My Mav is oxford white what do you think of white rims?
White on white is a good look, but (believe it or not) white paint is hard to match and a mismatch would be obvious and ugly, so be careful.

canyonero

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've seen white wheels on a white Mustang before. I will say, like the other poster, that matching is difficult, and brake dust/road dirt and oils will make it look dirty. But I actually like it tbh.

HalfFast

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many

I like the look of white rims. I had a set of motorcycle wheels painted white and they were super sharp looking when they were clean.

Keeping them clean was the problem. I will never have white wheels again unless I get in a position that I can afford to have my vehicle completely detailed once a month.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford picked the tires they did for a reason. It's a new model and they want to advertise the mpg, not how sticky or how well they do in snow or rain or how long they last.

I don't know about highway tires, but I looked at a lot of tire weights on tire rack and the Pirellis in the stock size are the lightest A/T tires there are.

My guess is that you won't find a set light enough to make a big enough difference to save the money in gas to pay the difference between what you would get for your tires and the cost of a new set.

That being said, if you want new tires, try to find the best performing tire for your needs that fit your budget and if there are multiple contenders then go by weight.
Yeah but an A/T rating for that scorpion is laughable - It is light. I ditched them at 40 miles for real ATs -)

HalfFast

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Yeah but an A/T rating for that scorpion is laughable - It is light. I ditched them at 40 miles for real ATs -)

I will probably run the Scorpions for the 20-25k miles then sacrifice an mpg or two for a little better tire.

Unless they suck really bad.

The wranglers on my dad's 2020 ram were the worst tires I've ever driven...horrible hydroplaning in the mildest of rains. If they are that bad they will get replaced almost immediately.

Sponsored

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I will probably run the Scorpions for the 20-25k miles then sacrifice an mpg or two for a little better tire.

Unless they suck really bad.

The wranglers on my dad's 2020 ram were the worst tires I've ever driven...horrible hydroplaning in the mildest of rains. If they are that bad they will get replaced almost immediately.
The scorpions just looked worrisome to me, fine for wet highways though I guess

OP
OP

DangerZone

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
White on white is a good look, but (believe it or not) white paint is hard to match and a mismatch would be obvious and ugly, so be careful.
Any thoughts on brands of aftermarket wheels. I've noticed a number of people using Motegi brand wheels.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm looking tires for my hybrid Mav that are lighter in weight than the included tires but still have the capability of those tires. My understanding is that the included tires are about 25 pounds. Has anyone come across tires that would meet these conditions?
Why do you want lighter tires?