DangerZone

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While unsprung mass definitely does have an effect, you will likely never make up the cost of new wheels with improved gas mileage (even with $5+/gallon).
Oh, thank you.
While unsprung mass definitely does have an effect, you will likely never make up the cost of new wheels with improved gas mileage (even with $5+/gallon).
So conversely if I get wheels that are heavier than stock it won't hurt gas mileage very much.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I always look for hevier tires for puncture resistance, but if its light you want, you should probably look into carbon fiber or racing type rims and low profile tires. Maybe a lowering kit too.

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Any thoughts on brands of aftermarket wheels. I've noticed a number of people using Motegi brand wheels.
The MR116’s are pretty light. They‘re flat black with a red accent stripe.

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm looking tires for my hybrid Mav that are lighter in weight than the included tires but still have the capability of those tires. My understanding is that the included tires are about 25 pounds. Has anyone come across tires that would meet these conditions?
I went with this package which was about the lightest setup I could find. 18.4# per wheel and 23# per tire.
Ford Maverick Lighter Weight Tires 1656803839009

Ford Maverick Lighter Weight Tires 1656804011972

Ford Maverick Lighter Weight Tires 1656804056160

Last edited:

Sponsored

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Weight reduction will only make a noticeable difference in MPG if you get rid of at least 500lbs of weight probably.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Would take a lot of searching to find them, but a number of people on this thread have installed wider and heavier and had drastic MPG loss. One on here (XL) reported loosing 6 and 7 mpg with wider, heavier tires...he went back to his original wheels and tires that he had for sale and regained his MPG.

Maui

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Kia Soul Convertble
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Fill them with Helium!

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh, thank you.

So conversely if I get wheels that are heavier than stock it won't hurt gas mileage very much.
"Very much" is subjective. Obviously, lighter is better, but the difference is likely negligible. While there are many factors, general estimates suggest for every pound dropped per wheel, efficiency can increase up to 1% - up to a point. The more miles you do in stop and go, the greater the improvement (the improvement will be less if you do a lot of highway miles). If you want wheels, get wheels, but don't rationalize it by saying it will save you money - again, you'll never make up the cost you've spent over just keeping the stocks on.

Last edited:

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Any thoughts on brands of aftermarket wheels. I've noticed a number of people using Motegi brand wheels.
I wouldn't even try to match the colors. I'd go with chrome, silver, gray, or black wheels.

Sponsored
OP
OP

DangerZone

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wouldn't even try to match the colors. I'd go with chrome, silver, gray, or black wheels.
Have you seen any smoothie type wheels that would fit the Maverick?

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

jonnyredbeard

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
All I know is the stock tires on the Lariat are terrible. I got stuck on wet grass two weeks after I bought it. I have 13k on them now and they will need to be replaced at 20k. Thats ok but as someone else pointed out they must have been going for MPG or something becuase the performance even on Dry pavement isn't great.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
I've been looking into lighter rims myself to replace the steelies. I've gone down 5lbs per wheel before and it made a huge difference in braking and acceleration from a roll (same wheel dimensions).
The C-Max has some nice light wt. wheels, not sure about the bolt pattern.

catinthebathtub

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
haas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 GT 350, 60 VW, 34 pickup and porsches....
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you, lighter rims it is then. My Mav is oxford white what do you think of white rims?
i chose rims for mine sorting by lightest weight first (and then by $$) and found these 18" konig freeforms to be just over 18#. the tire i selected is wider than stock (and 29#) but i am still indicating 30.5 MPG daily commuting my turbo. 7K miles and only left the city limits once.
Ford Maverick Lighter Weight Tires A51
Sponsored

Last edited: