First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here is my 22 XLT FX4 with the Leer Truck cap installed. Anyone have this truck cap on their Maverick? Mine was delivered with out a seal between the cap and bed rails so it leaked like a sieve. The installers tried to get it water tight but still has a slight leak. It also seems to have negatively affected my gas mileage slightly. (27 vs 31 highway)

The installers think the leak is due to the plastic cap on the bed rails allowing water intrusion into the bed

I am going to contact Leer and see why it came without a seal and what their thoughts are on how to eliminate this leak

Ford Maverick Leer truck cap installed on my 2022 Maverick XLT 20221109_105852

Ford Maverick Leer truck cap installed on my 2022 Maverick XLT 20221109_105922
Sponsored

Clock Doc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2.0 ecoboost, Ford Crown Victoria
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I would think it should have had a seal I can't imagine why it would't. I would be surprised if it didn't have negative effect of mpg you just added weight and some drag to your truck.

OP
OP
Raven Recon

Raven Recon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've had 2 other truck caps on other trucks and didn't notice any real change in MPG. The aerodynamics shouldn't have been affected that much by the cap...mildly disappointing. I'm waiting for a response from Leer on the Seal fiasco

Dave_in_PA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had 2 other truck caps on other trucks and didn't notice any real change in MPG. The aerodynamics shouldn't have been affected that much by the cap...mildly disappointing. I'm waiting for a response from Leer on the Seal fiasco
I doesn't seem like your installer has any experience with truck caps. My father had truck caps in the 80s and 90s and I've had them the past 20 years. I've never seen a truck cap installed without seal tape between the cap and the bedrails.

IMO, this isn't a Leer problem but an installer problem.

have your installer buy some tape, install it on the bedrails, and then reinstall the Leer cap. You should have no problems going forward.

https://www.amazon.com/truck-cap-seal-tape/s?k=truck+cap+seal+tape

Sponsored

OP
OP
Raven Recon

Raven Recon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I doesn't seem like your installer has any experience with truck caps. My father had truck caps in the 80s and 90s and I've had them the past 20 years. I've never seen a truck cap installed without seal tape between the cap and the bedrails.

IMO, this isn't a Leer problem but an installer problem.

have your installer buy some tape, install it on the bedrails, and then reinstall the Leer cap. You should have no problems going forward.

https://www.amazon.com/truck-cap-seal-tape/s?k=truck+cap+seal+tape
This is the 3rd Leer cap I've owned and the first one that didn't have a seal on it from Leer, this is the second cap from this installer and the only cap that leaked anywhere along the rails or bulkhead. Leer has a monopoly on truck caps as they own ARE, SNUG, and a couple other companies that build cap/shell. The installer did put some seal tape along the mating surfaces but the seal that comes from Leer is much more robust.

Last edited:

Dave_in_PA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is the 3rd Leer cap I've owned and the first one that didn't have a seal on it from Leer, this is the second cap from this installer and the only cap that leaked anywhere along the rails or bulkhead. Leer has a monopoly on truck caps as they own ARE, SNUG, and a couple other companies that build cap/shell. The installer did put some seal tape along the mating surfaces but the seal that comes from Leer is much more robust.
Not sure how to reply. If they cap is structurally sound and leak at the bed/cap interface, it needs more/thicker tape seal.

I routinely took my caps off in the summer and reinstalled them in the winter and never had a problem as long as the tape was good. I have added tape over the years when it got compressed.

My last cap I installed on a bed with an underrail bedliner. However, the liner came over the rail between the cab and the bed, which required additionally tape on the sides to raise the cap level.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That is a big hit on MPG....15%, but not that surprising. Weight and drag.

Guypeters

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid lariat hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here is my 22 XLT FX4 with the Leer Truck cap installed. Anyone have this truck cap on their Maverick? Mine was delivered with out a seal between the cap and bed rails so it leaked like a sieve. The installers tried to get it water tight but still has a slight leak. It also seems to have negatively affected my gas mileage slightly. (27 vs 31 highway)

The installers think the leak is due to the plastic cap on the bed rails allowing water intrusion into the bed

I am going to contact Leer and see why it came without a seal and what their thoughts are on how to eliminate this leak

20221109_105852.jpg

20221109_105922.jpg
Mine came with a seal kit.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

20221109_105852.jpg

20221109_105922.jpg
Wow ! I really like that design!
Bet I won't like the price

Sponsored

jpdurr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy HHR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
well, what was the price????

MaverickQC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Etienne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a fibrobec flat top and mine is leaking too. The installer put some seal on the plastic rail, but didn't put some on the corners. I chek it today and im pretty sure that its leaking from the plastic beside the rear Truck Windows. This spring im going to take it off and reseal it. This is the pleasure of a unibody Truck!! 😅 Body on frame truck dont leak as Much as unibody. They have a gap between the bed and cabine so the water just fall down on the road.
Ford Maverick Leer truck cap installed on my 2022 Maverick XLT 20221209_103144
Ford Maverick Leer truck cap installed on my 2022 Maverick XLT VideoCapture_20221209-194216
Ford Maverick Leer truck cap installed on my 2022 Maverick XLT 20221209_103144
Ford Maverick Leer truck cap installed on my 2022 Maverick XLT 20221209_191505

OP
OP
Raven Recon

Raven Recon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure how to reply. If they cap is structurally sound and leak at the bed/cap interface, it needs more/thicker tape seal.

I routinely took my caps off in the summer and reinstalled them in the winter and never had a problem as long as the tape was good. I have added tape over the years when it got compressed.

My last cap I installed on a bed with an underrail bedliner. However, the liner came over the rail between the cab and the bed, which required additionally tape on the sides to raise the cap level.
I contacted the installer/seller about the 3 yr warranty and they said that Leer is sending them the seal that was supposed to be factory installed to put on my Cap. I’m not holding my breath as it took Leer over a month to send the lock assembly, with key, after they forgot the key on initial shipment. I will update as it unfolds

STUFF2C

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bunch
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
what covers the gap between the cab and the topper?
Sponsored