First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From the Ford Authority: https://fordauthority.com/2023/02/ford-escape-bronco-sport-owners-sue-over-alleged-defect/

"This past November, The Blue Oval issued recalls for 2021-2023 Ford Bronco Sport and 2020-2022 Ford Escape models equipped with the turbocharged Ford 1.5L I-3 EcoBoost engine after it found that a fuel injector may crack and leak fuel inside the engine compartment, which could cause a fire as well. To fix the problem, Ford instructed dealers to update the engine control software to include fuel injector leak detection and install a drain tube. " "Thus far, 54 fires have been reported in affected Ford Escape and Bronco Sport models, with 17 of those incidents confirmed to have been caused by a cracked fuel injector."

I know this is a totally different engine. But fuel injectors are somewhat a commodity item and it would understandable if Ford used these same injectors on the majority of their vehicles. (alterations made to accommodate each engine, of course, but same manufacturing technique)

So, the question I have is, does anyone know if the EB and / or the Hybrid use these same plastic injectors?
Sponsored

Grand Nat.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Stingray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The Bronco Sport uses Part # CM 5322 1.5L Engine The Maverick 2.0L uses part # CM 5294. The 1.5l has lot of composite material on the injector more so than the 2.0L Injector. Time will tell if they used a better quality one on the Maverick. Not sure about the Hybrid injectors on the Maverick. The 2.0L injector looks like a improved version.

Ford Maverick Lawsuit waiting to happen?   Plastic fuel injectors 446796

Ford Maverick Lawsuit waiting to happen?   Plastic fuel injectors 287376

Last edited:

MiMav

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Escape, '09 Flex
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The hybrid engine is port injected, not direct injected, so the fuel injectors will be different.

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is there a way to find out if your vehicle is affected? We just picked up our pre-ordered Bronco Sport Outer Banks a month ago and I've heard about this infamous fuel injector recall thanks to a brittle plastic part. Ours is a 23MY so I was hoping we would be exempt from the recall. I know that a lot of 21-22MYs were affected but I'm guessing it transfers into 23 since the engine and parts have remained the same.
Sponsored