First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So, is that box sealed? If so, wouldn't that negate the point of changing the intake in the first place? That cold air duct didn't get any bigger.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No, the box is not sealed off exclusively to the inlet duct in the same way that the OEM is.

But to address your potential concern anyway, I doubt that the "cold air duct", is a restriction in any way to begin with. The area of that opening is nearly the same as the inside area of the 3" tubing I used. If you saw my original intake thread, I had mentioned possibly reworking and opening up that "duct" but when I measured everything out, it didn't really make sense and it would be really complicated to pull it off. Also, the point of the change in intake wasn't for performance or to sell anybody on anything, I just did it for fun because I like to make things.
The box is cool and so is making things for fun. Leaving the box "leaky" seems like a good idea since the intake brings in fresh air and the leaky bits make sure there is no restriction. Win!

Sponsored

emartinez96

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick, 2015 Chevy Sonic RS, 2011 SS
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Soooooo when can we preorder that enclosure? Lol

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
I'd say by filter volume alone, while being shielded from the majority of the under hood ambient temps, this should make some gains in power. Over an open end filter and OEM box. Insulating that box will be key as you have done to help with heat soak.

Looks great honestly!

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It looked 100x better in black. I would remove the aluminum cover or whatever it is made of. Nice job.

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
Sorry, no plans to make more or sell any, just sharing what I came up with. I'm sure the aftermarket will provide very similar options that don't require this level of DIY finish work and assembly lol.

It should be really easy to replicate for those who wanted to though. I'm about $150 into parts/materials alone but the same concept could be likely be achieved for less depending on materials used.

Here are two enclosures that I previously found, they're for the MK4 Focus which shares a lot of similarities to our Maverick. As you may be aware, the MK4 is not sold stateside so of course shipping on these two units made them way out of reach IMO so that's why I decided to just come up with something on my own.
Ford Focus MK4 1.5L EcoBoost Aluminum Alloy Cold Air Intake - ARMASPEED $360+ship
2019+ Ford Focus MK4 1.4 2.0 ST Cold Air Intake Syste (mst-performance.com) $275+ship
I suspect we'll eventually see aftermarket offerings similar in design/function specifically for the Maverick. Likely $300-400 range I'd imagine.
That is a bummer.. We'd buy one.

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
View attachment 25940 View attachment 25941 View attachment 25942

Just wanted to share the intake enclosure that I designed for my Maverick. I previously made a simple air intake using a Spectre elbow and AirAid Filter with the intention of eventually creating a sealed enclosure. I ended up switching out the elbow that I was using for a shorter tube and I also went with a slightly shorter filter. I designed the enclosure and had the parts laser cut by sendcutsend. I'm really happy with how it turned out!

Ingredients:
View attachment 25943

View attachment 25944

View attachment 25945

Installed pics:
View attachment 25946

View attachment 25948

View attachment 25947
I used the gold reflective barrier on the hot sides and bottom of the enclosure. I have enough left that I might also wrap some of the OEM tubing.

Parts used:
Mishimoto Performance Air Filter, 3.00" Inlet, 6" Filter Length
Mishimoto MMHP-GRB-2424 Gold Reflective Barrier w/Adhesive, 24" x 24"
Spectre Performance 9409 3" Diameter 4" Length Aluminum Tube
Lexan Sheet - Polycarbonate - Clear 12" x 12"
1/2 in. Grommet
Misc. hardware, black RTV, rubber edge trim.

View attachment 25940

View attachment 25941

View attachment 25942

View attachment 25950
looks good

Sponsored

Maveriac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT AWD, Ford F150 Lariat 4WD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great job! I can't tell by the pictures, but it appears that the area inside the box has increased the captive cold air capacity which is the object. Thank you for sharing.
You were really thinking inside the box on this project!

nathan.wright

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Mazda B2200
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
View attachment 25940 View attachment 25941 View attachment 25942

Just wanted to share the intake enclosure that I designed for my Maverick. I previously made a simple air intake using a Spectre elbow and AirAid Filter with the intention of eventually creating a sealed enclosure. I ended up switching out the elbow that I was using for a shorter tube and I also went with a slightly shorter filter. I designed the enclosure and had the parts laser cut by sendcutsend. I'm really happy with how it turned out!

Ingredients:
View attachment 25943

View attachment 25944

View attachment 25945

Installed pics:
View attachment 25946

View attachment 25948

View attachment 25947
I used the gold reflective barrier on the hot sides and bottom of the enclosure. I have enough left that I might also wrap some of the OEM tubing.

Parts used:
Mishimoto Performance Air Filter, 3.00" Inlet, 6" Filter Length
Mishimoto MMHP-GRB-2424 Gold Reflective Barrier w/Adhesive, 24" x 24"
Spectre Performance 9409 3" Diameter 4" Length Aluminum Tube
Lexan Sheet - Polycarbonate - Clear 12" x 12"
1/2 in. Grommet
Misc. hardware, black RTV, rubber edge trim.

View attachment 25940

View attachment 25941

View attachment 25942

View attachment 25950
Looks Great!

I use SendCutSend all the time at work. They are fantastic. You can get carbon fiber cut through them now and the quality is excellent.

GambleGarage

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks Great!

I use SendCutSend all the time at work. They are fantastic. You can get carbon fiber cut through them now and the quality is excellent.
They are quick for sure. Places like them and cheap cnc tables are why I can’t get any damn customers for my cnc plasma table. Big race to 0

nathan.wright

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Mazda B2200
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They are quick for sure. Places like them and cheap cnc tables are why I can’t get any damn customers for my cnc plasma table. Big race to 0
I understand that. We used a local guy for a long time, but moved to SCS for those very reasons.

Deerslayer1980

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like this one even better. Love the sealed box with cold air coming into it.
Sponsored