M. Howell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey y’all,
I’ve got two jerrys I’m looking to mount in the bed of my truck with locks and whatnot. My question is about using self tapping screws on the side walls or back wall against the cab. Has anyone done anything like that, is there anything I should be aware of?
Sponsored

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm assuming it would be just like any other jerry can mount where you drill in to the back wall, you just need to make sure you know what's on the other side before you shoot a self tapping screw in. Maybe use a smaller drill bit to drill just enough to fit a toothpick through to make sure there are no wires or electronics on the other side. You would want to waterproof the hole as well. Silicone caulking is fine for that or even a couple wraps of plumbers tape on the screw.

And make sure the self tapping screws have a tight thread pattern and not a wide one that will cause the screws to become loose over time.

OP
OP
MoeMoeLicious

MoeMoeLicious

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
M. Howell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm assuming it would be just like any other jerry can mount where you drill in to the back wall, you just need to make sure you know what's on the other side before you shoot a self tapping screw in. Maybe use a smaller drill bit to drill just enough to fit a toothpick through to make sure there are no wires or electronics on the other side. You would want to waterproof the hole as well. Silicone caulking is fine for that or even a couple wraps of plumbers tape on the screw.

And make sure the self tapping screws have a tight thread pattern and not a wide one that will cause the screws to become loose over time.
Is there a way to know what’s on the other side? Planes or devices?

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there a way to know what’s on the other side? Planes or devices?
For the back wall of the bed, just fold the rear seat down and have a look at what’s in the general area your screws might go. For the side of the bed walls, you should be able to see by looking up from under the car with a flashlight.

OP
OP
MoeMoeLicious

MoeMoeLicious

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
M. Howell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For the back wall of the bed, just fold the rear seat down and have a look at what’s in the general area your screws might go. For the side of the bed walls, you should be able to see by looking up from under the car with a flashlight.
Didn’t even consider looking from underneath, thanks for the thoughts. Ill give that a go my friend.

Sponsored

Joseaoe1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 4K VB, 2022 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do you have a picture of the completed project?
I bought a sceptre 10L jerry can for water and metal storage device on amazon. Just have it on on floor of bed for now.

OP
OP
MoeMoeLicious

MoeMoeLicious

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
M. Howell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ended up just mounting it to the floor of the bed in front of the wheel well. It’s not the most practical place especially if you’re planning on using the pigtails or anything else.

Sorry I don’t have a picture. I’m planning on going a different direction with those concepts in the future.

CTYankee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.catvert68.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a BedRug bed liner in mine and a set of Stayhold cargo organizers. They grab the BedRug so completely that it takes some effort to remove them. I use them to hold my gas cans when I need to refill them, but then can put them out of the way when I need to use the bed for something else.

Amazon.com: STAYHOLD Super Pack Car Trunk Organizer, Adapts to Hold Any Size or Shape Item | Sticks to Carpet with Hard Gripping VELCRO Brand Technology | Cars, Trucks, SUV, Minivan & Boats | 7 Piece Set - Gray : Automotive

XLT Truck Bed Mat | Bed Liners & Mats - Bedrug | Bedrug
Sponsored