Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So sorry to see that. I hope everything works out and glad that you weren't hurt. So sad.

Side note: What camera are you running (I haven't looked in comments yet, lots to go through)
Sponsored

ralatalo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ok, wow, I prob should have clarified. This stretch of road has a posted 55mph limit, I was not going much faster than that. This Intersection was recently blocked off to prevent this exact occurrence, but instead, most people go around the barrier, like this person did. IDK why I'm surprised by people blaming me for this, but it is what it is.

The officer on the scene, after watching the video, confirmed I was 0% at fault in his opinion.
That and I don't think the first clip gave as much content. The youtube versions clearly shows them pulling into traffic and you slowing and then them cutting you off and stopping which even as you were slowing left you next to no time for anything.

UpNorthBuckeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Expedtn, 17PriusV,22 Mavrk XLT hybridHPR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Everyone's fine, but the Wrangler driver wasn't in a big hurry to explain why she stopped in the left lane.

"He pushed me into the other lane!"
Dang. I guess "It's a Jeep thing - you wouldn't understand"!!
Isn't that what one of their bumper stickers/decals says??

Thank god you had the camera going.

ralatalo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have no dog in this fight, but I gotta say, you gotta love how a bunch of people here say they would have anticipated the actions of the Jeep driver. Like everyone who responded with blame for the OP, are some amazing drivers with racecar driver like reflexes. I'll go ahead and say it. NO ONE has those reflexes. And you don't know what you would do if you were in his situation until it happens.

One thing I would have definitely done was slow down once I saw the car pull in front of me. That's his first mistake, not slowing down and admitting he was going over the limit. I for one hate when people pass me going way faster than the limit on rural roads (ex. Making a left turn at a light and room to go around. Most go slow, but some yahoos keep their speed up). I hope it all works out for the OP but like others said, REMOVE your video (if you haven't done so already).

I was in a horrible accident years ago with my dealer demo. Dash cams were in their infancy (2012) so no video and they were expensive, but it was clear that I had the ROW (going straight though an intersection on green, with a car next to me going the same speed, which was under the limit) and the person who hit me made a left at 45mph. Totalled the car and I got a brain bleed, serious concussion and needed vestibular therapy for 6 weeks. So I'm familiar with how insurance companies work these. Other driver deemed 100% at fault by police and by their insurance company. But the process was a headache and nerve racking. Now I drive with a dash cam. If you don't have one, get one. It helps IMMENSELY.
If you only watched the first clip, watch the youtube version. To me it clearly shows him slowing down as the jeep pulls out, then maintaining as the jeep picks up speed, by the time the jeep pulled into the left lane and stopped there wasn't time for much.

ralatalo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
BS.

Jeep pulls out and does not begin to accelerate to the posted speed, rather they immediately change lanes to the left and BRAKE in the inside lane on a 55 mph road in order to make an illegal U-turn.

End of story...
Worse, the jeep did pull out and started to accelerate then slowed and pulled left and stopped. Let's be honest, most of us would have slowed when we saw him pull out but once he accelerated would have stopped slowing, and then to have him cross lanes (if he had stayed in his lane it would not have been an issue, or if he had pulled out into the left lane, he effectively stopped blocking all of the left lane and some of the right one too, after accelerating)

Sponsored

ralatalo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Autonomous vehicles can't arrive soon enough for me. I'm not interested in blaming A or B. Humans are humans, and humans are incredibly fallible. The best of us make errors in judgement. I can't wait to set an address in my garage, sit back to watch a movie or take a nap, and hear a ding when I arrive at destination, safe and sound, every time.
You mean the same ones that run into the back of firetrucks stopped in the middle of the road with all their lights flashing?

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You mean the same ones that run into the back of firetrucks stopped in the middle of the road with all their lights flashing?
🤦‍♂️

Pretty sure they said autonomous vehicles, not Tesla vehicles with Autopilot that the human in charge, in control, that are as much of an autonomous vehicle as a Ford Maverick, so, no. Those are instances of human drivers ramming into the back of a stopped fire truck all lit up. Those humans are the reason why the poster you quoted longs for autonomous vehicles.

skyhawk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Airplanes motorcycles cars SUVs
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry this happened to you.

I bet if you could get a month of video from that Dunkin Donuts, you would see this person make that illegal U turn often - and it would be case closed on any dispute.

I would try and get as much video as you could if there are any cameras pointing at that stretch of road. It may not be easy but step one is see if there are any cameras with a vantage point...

And not to beat a dead horse - but the benefits of defensive driving cannot be overstated. I have spent decades riding motorcycles on the street, where there is no other option but to expect the worse. It has made me a safer driver in the car. Always expect the unexpected and give idiots a wide berth.

If you are up to it, please let us know how this all shakes out with insurance, lawyers etc after the smoke clears and it is all said and done.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Facts matter.

That's a Tesla, which is NOT an SAE certified autonomous vehicle, despite the very deceptive advertising. Tesla "autopilot" is a human monitored system, which means those highly publicized accidents, every one of them, is another arrogant human being killing another human being by misusing a car as their weapon of choice.

And yet, even today's crude human-monitored systems are statistically vastly superior to the inebriated, sleeping, drugged, inattentive, or just plain road-raging dysfunctional human beings that still kill tens of thousands of Americans each year.

Zolutar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid, 21 Bronco Sport OB+
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It actually takes about 4.5 seconds to stop when going 55mph. The jeep is an ass but mav could have started easing out as soon as he saw the jeep douche pull out the way the did giving him even more leeway to make a stop. The jeep straddles the lane the entire time and that's a huge redflag to slow down and let the situation unfuck itself rather then try to speed around the idiot.

The jeep is the root cause but this was totally avoidable.
You haven't factored in reaction time, it takes anywhere from a half second to 3 second to react, depending on the person and situation. Successful avoidance was nearly impossible even with a half second reaction. You can see the Op tried to stop and swerve, if he hit at full speed damage would have been far worse....long story short, I'd like to see you try and see how you fare in the exact situation, I doubt very much the outcome would have been much better :) though knowing what's going to happen, in a repeat scenario, maybe you would, but I guarantee most people in the same scenario would have actually fared worse than the op

I don't know what I would have done here, I think I would have hit her too, or the side barrier trying to miss her. I have been in similar scenarios over the years, person turns left into my traffic lane cutting me off, I avoid and hit the curb breaking the wheel...Insurance said I should have hit them and they would have been at fault, instead, I am liable for my broken wheel. (person did stop and paid to fix my wheel, as she felt it was the right thing to do as she knew she was at fault).
I had a swarm of deer jump out in front of me at dusk, slammed the breaks, 2 break left, one breaks right and the other keeps going straight till I smoked it, or I could have swerved to either ditch and smoke em... That situation was just pick which one you're gonna hit.... I also have had many successful avoidances over the years too...too many to count...

What if he did slam the breaks and did stop and end up getting smoked from the rear end?

It is what it is here, an accident, but the op wasn't at fault and had very few options and decisions to make in a very limited, panic stricken amount of time... Its easy to sit here and say I coulda avoided it.

PS I drove over 100k miles a year for 20 years and have plenty of road experience all over North America with very few accidents. Though I have witnessed many. By in no means am I an expert, but I like to think I know what I am talking about.

Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.