2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No. The
co-pilot 360...Could it have prevented this...just wondering?
No. There's system is limited by physics - there was nothing it was going to initiate that was going to prevent this, the accident was still going to occur..it may have started braking a second earlier but that wasn't going to stop the vehicle, alternately if it tried some evasive action (quick right steer) it probably would have taken the Mav off the road and into a ditch.
Sponsored

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What was your speed and the speed limit? It sucks you got hit but I wouldn't post any video online even if it wasn't your fault. So many ways insurance can manipulate the video.

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My current car (Mazda 3!) was hit twice within the first year I owned it - WHILE PARKED...
My first car (67 Fairlane) was hit twice, while parked within 12 hours! and nobody left a note. Someone hit left 1/4 panel good - there was no way they didn't know this. Then went to work and when I came out it was snowing and found that it looked like some snowplow hit the right door, went to find the culprit of the snowplow guys and nobody admitted it. I was under my dad's insurance and he refused to let me file a claim as it would raise his/our rates. So (being 17) I said well what's insurance for? and he said " you just have to have it". And then after I came to the end of my fuming and anger and almost outrage over people trashing my car I worked 2 years for he told me "It's just tough luck, that's life". And for some reason I actually thought well yeah, that's true. It sucks. But it's true.

kcamp317

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid 16 Ford Escape SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And this is why we can't have nice things. But wow, I'm glad everyone is ok!

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Everyone's fine, but the Wrangler driver wasn't in a big hurry to explain why she stopped in the left lane.

"He pushed me into the other lane!"
I am sorry to see you had this happen and I’m really sorry to see all the armchair quarterbacks pontificating about what you did or didn’t do.

Here’s what I’m curious about. I didn’t see you say anything about the accident avoidance system. If I’m not wrong I think all the trims have that feature. Did the dash not light up with a warning prior to impact? Did the wheel move to right on its own?

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clearly jeeps fault.
But still a completely avoidable accident.

I learned when I had Drivers Ed when I was 16 in Iowa that we needed to drive defensively. In Iowa a lot of people pull out in front of you unsafely and do not get up to speed quick enough. Some also do what the jeep did and change lanes unsafely.

In 1971 the Drivers Ed class used simulators that had you in a seat with a steering wheel, accelerator and brake pedal along with turn signals. In the front was a screen showing various driving scenarios.

One looked just like what happened here with the jeep (vehicle enters road in front of you at much lower speed than you and then changes lanes).

The other drivers in the simulator test who tried to do exactly what happened here failed that scenario.

What we were taught was observe the road ahead. In this case spot the vehicle entering the road and start to slow down and don't try to pass an erratic driver at any speed much less at full or over the speed limit speed.

Last edited:

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here’s what I’m curious about. I didn’t see you say anything about the accident avoidance system. If I’m not wrong I think all the trims have that feature. Did the dash not light up with a warning prior to impact? Did the wheel move to right on its own?
This is not how these systems work. As I said above, a lot of people seem to really overestimate the capabilities of these systems. They're intended to work in very specific situations - such as the car directly in front of you brakes hard suddenly. They are not designed to work in situations where the car in front of you appears suddenly, straddles lanes, changes lanes, you change lanes, etc. Also, the Maverick was going well above the speeds where this system could have avoided a collision even if you disregard the lane changing that the Jeep and Maverick did.

I assume by your question "did the wheel move right on its own?" you are talking about Evasive Steering Assist (Lariat Lux only)? The Maverick does not steer "on its own" in any circumstance regarding accident avoidance. Even ESA requires you to make the first move.

I worry that some of you, through misunderstanding this system, have a false sense of security about it. The limitations on these collision avoidance systems are numerous. It might avoid a collision if you're following a car at less than 25MPH and that car slams on the brakes. It is not intended or designed to do much more than that.

Last edited:

mr mojo risen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2020 VW Passat, 2015 Nissan Sentra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To the OP, seriously should delete this thread, video from this site and YouTube. A lawyer will thank you if the need arises.
The more I think about it, posting this video, while informative for this discussion, could create evidentiary discovery issues should the other driver suddenly and mysteriously develop “whiplash” and any other medical problems that trial lawyers can have a field over. Perhaps the OP should re-consider this thread and the posted videos.

I would like to point out that this site / chat board is set up almost exactly like the Rivals chat boards where fans of their favorite college teams can bitch about their rivals, rag on the coach etc. Anyway, while anyone can delete their own post inside a thread, only a moderator can actually delete a thread. In other words, the OP can’t delete his own initial post even if he wanted to. Essentially the OP would need to send a private message to the Administrator asking them nicely to please delete the thread.

I’ve seen people make bone-headed comments on a sports board in their OP, then cover their tracks by editing their post to leave a single letter or a period “.” (You can’t leave a blank post.)

It then gets interesting when people quote the OP to capture the OP’s original comment for everyone to see. Sorry to digress, just wanted to share some message board tips.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is not how these systems work. As I said above, a lot of people seem to really overestimate the capabilities of these systems. They're intended to work in very specific situations - such as the car directly in front of you brakes hard suddenly. They are not designed to work in situations where the car in front of you appears suddenly, changes lanes twice, etc. Also, the Maverick was going well above the speeds where this system could have avoided a collision even if you disregarding the lane changing that the Jeep and Maverick did.

I worry that some of you, through misunderstanding this system, are going to end up with a false sense of security.
That's been going on for years now, as vehicles become semi-autonomous, more people think they can "do other things" while they are sailing down the road.

A skilled attentive driver in a 57 Chevy is a helluva lot safer to others on the road than a moron in a Tesla.

HalfFast

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
The more I think about it, posting this video, while informative for this discussion, could create evidentiary discovery issues should the other driver suddenly and mysteriously develop “whiplash” and any other medical problems that trial lawyers can have a field over. Perhaps the OP should re-consider this thread and the posted videos.

I would like to point out that this site / chat board is set up almost exactly like the Rivals chat boards where fans of their favorite college teams can bitch about their rivals, rag on the coach etc. Anyway, while anyone can delete their own post inside a thread, only a moderator can actually delete a thread. In other words, the OP can’t delete his own initial post even if he wanted to. Essentially the OP would need to send a private message to the Administrator asking them nicely to please delete the thread.

I’ve seen people make bone-headed comments on a sports board in their OP, then cover their tracks by editing their post to leave a single letter or a period “.” (You can’t leave a blank post.)

It then gets interesting when people quote the OP to capture the OP’s original comment for everyone to see. Sorry to digress, just wanted to share some message board tips.

Thanks for that info. I know things never truly go away in the digital realm, probably not even if the moderator deletes it. No sense in making it easy...be smart about what you post everywhere, not just here.

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's been going on for years now, as vehicles become semi-autonomous, more people think they can "do other things" while they are sailing down the road.

A skilled attentive driver in a 57 Chevy is a helluva lot safer to others on the road than a moron in a Tesla.
A skilled driver is less dangerous than a moron regardless of the car.

I am very much in favor of ADAS technologies. I think they serve their purpose well, but the public at large seriously needs to educate themselves on the functions and limitations. I saw it on another thread where a Maverick hit a cow and a number of people are like "pre-collision assist!!!!" - no, just no. If the systems were as sensitive as a lot of people think they are, the false warnings would render the cars undrivable.

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
It's obvious why the cones were there to prevent vehicles from making a left turn from those intersections. She/He turns right, bumps to the left lane to make U-turn. their usual daily move. What was missing was a no U- turn sign to compliment the cones.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A skilled driver is less dangerous than a moron regardless of the car.

I am very much in favor of ADAS technologies. I think they serve their purpose well, but the public at large seriously needs to educate themselves on the functions and limitations. I saw it on another thread where a Maverick hit a cow and a number of people are like "pre-collision assist!!!!" - no, just no. If the systems were as sensitive as a lot of people think they are, the false warnings would render the cars undrivable.
Take one look at the current drivers education system, and the effort needed to get a drivers license, and it's a miracle the carnage isn't way worse.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.