Not open for further replies.

HalfFast

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I've watched the video a number of times now and decided to add my 2 cents to the general discussion.
My statements and observation (and opinion) at based on looking at video time between 2-10 seconds and this what I noticed.

There's a sign on the right side of the road indicating a entry road on the right (George St) from which the Jeep will enter the highway. So I looked up Indiana state rules about sign placement and according to the document from 2008 Warning Signs, it states that Warning signs will be place 325ft back what they are warning on highways with speeds up to 55mph.
(In Indiana, Warning signs should be placed so that they provide adequate PIEV time. The distances contained in Table 2C-4 are for guidance purposes and should be applied with engineering judgment
https://www.in.gov/dot/div/contracts/design/mutcd/pubs/a05Ch2C(Final2008).pdf)
The total time needed to perceive and complete a reaction to a sign is the sum of the times necessary for Perception, Identification (understanding), Emotion (decision making), and Volition (execution of decision), and is called the PIEV time. The PIEV time can vary from several seconds for general warning signs to 6 seconds or more for warning signs requiring high road user judgment. This is from an OSHA document I found, from 2000 so the 6 second standard might have changed since then.

I also noticed there's roughly 3 telephones between the warning sign and where the side road enters the highway. Google states the average distance between poles are 125 feet apart or 300 feet apart in rural areas. Looking at them I think 125 feet apart, which would equal out to roughly 375 feet. This also would work with the warning sign distance of 325 ft.

OP stated the speed limit was 55mph for this road, but he was going over so I'm going with 60mph. That means he was covering 88ft per second. So that would mean that if saw the Jeep pulling out at 3 second mark he would have 7 seconds until impact. In that 7 seconds he will cover 616 feet, nearly twice the distance he has available. Driver reaction time is listed at near 1 second. In the 4 second mark the Jeep is clearly entering the highway. At the 6 second the Jeep has fully entered the lane of the OP and the 7 second mark OP starts to move to the left lane because it appears the Jeep will stay in the right lane not coming up to speed, in fact the Jeeps brake light are on indicating slowing instead of accelerating. Between second 7 and 8 the Jeep has clearly moved towards the left lane. Keep in mind that reaction time is around 1 second. I don't think there was enough time for OP to react base on the what he was seeing the Jeep do. Because the Jeep pulled into his lane at a slow speed it appears his normal reaction was to move to the left lane and pass by the Jeep, however, by time mark 7 seconds the Jeep was now appearing to move towards the left lane, leaving OP 3 or less second to react, one of those seconds will be used to react. Just looking at the video I don't think the OP had time to stop safely because of the mixed signals the Jeep driver gave off. It appears the Jeep was just pulling out into the right lane, but then decided to attempt an illegal U-turn by which time OP was too close to stop or fully avoid the Jeep. In my opinion OP was more right than wrong.
This is just my opinion based on what information I could gather from the video. My observation are my own and not meant to sway anyone's opinion one way or the other. My math maybe off, I sucked at math, but I did try to make sure my equations were correct.
Lastly, as someone who's been riding motorcycles for nearly 20 years, this accident is one of the top reasons motorcyclist are hit by cars. People entering a road to make a left turn (the Jeep would have turned left if the barrier wasn't there). The number one excuse is, "I didn't see the bike". I learned that maxim from day 1 of riding, bikes are invisible to cars. I ride each day with that in mind. If I was traveling down this road as the OP was but on my bike, as soon as I spotted that Jeep I would have done two things, first is wiggle my bike thereby changing my position slightly, which makes my LED headlight move around. We humans track movement with our eyes, so by moving my headlight around I'm hoping to catch the attention of the Jeep driver. However I don't rely on that. The second thing I would already been doing is let off my throttle, which would've started me slowing down, and I have would be covering the front and rear brake ready for use, possibly even applying front brake already. I would do all of the that because I naturally would assume that the Jeep doesn't see me. My motorcycle skills translate over to my cage (car) driving. I drive like others can't see. I'm relating all of this not to sound like I'm better than OP or other drivers, I state this because of this fact, other drivers don't always see, care about you, or are concerned about your well-being. It's upon us to take care of everyone in our vehicle, be it 2-wheeled or 4.
You're opinion will vary and as a 26 year Vet I'm glad we have a country in which we can share those opinions.
I have also been riding on the street for 30+ years. I agree with your OODA loop in this circumstance on a bike and would also work in a 4 wheel vehicle. The few seconds of lost time by being on the brakes early could have saved a lot of grief.

The advice I gave my younger brother and sister when they started riding on the street and countless other motorcyclists is: Ride like your are invisible and everyone wants to kill you. Do not give them a chance. This pertains to driving as well.

Not passing judgment on the OP's situation, just glad no one's life was permanently changed.

Shiny side up and thank you for your service.

To the OP, seriously should delete this thread, video from this site and YouTube. A lawyer will thank you if the need arises.
Sponsored

NoMavyYet

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 f250 2002 Ranger
Everyone’s talking about what the drivers did wrong but am I the only one wondering about the AEB?
Can’t really tell In the video of any warnings came on or the auto braking/ post collision stuff worked.

midcoastme

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 PT Cruisers & Maverick Lariat Hybrid.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I emphasized very early to my kids( before they got their drivers license) to “ALWAYS EXPECT DRIVERS AROUND YOU TO DO SOMETHING INCREDIBLY STUPID !!!” and you will have a few more seconds to avoid an impact. JAT
I told my kids when they were young about wearing seatbelts:
"You may think accidents only happen to other people, but to them WE are OTHER PEOPLE!"

TMAC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick & 94 Silverado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am scheduled to pick mine up next week, after waiting 9 months. Now i wonder if this is how Women with child feel ? I drove semi trucks for a couple decades. Ya barely notice when someone drives under ya like that while driving a semi. Maybe the Jeep driver dropped hot coffee in their lap right before they cut into your lane. Good Luck. Let us know if the frame is bent.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
if there was no video, Op would take 100% fault, but having the dashcam? Jeep 100% fault, why? unsafe entry into traffic, failure to maintain lane, intention of an illegal u-turn on a highway. and the list could go on...but I think those are the big 3.
Could the Op have avoided the collision? this is debatable, there are barriers on both sides of the highway, and the op had 5 seconds from the Jeep pulling out till impact with the Jeep basically blocking both lanes to react to a stop. At 55mph (aka 90 km/h) that's not enough distance to stop.....
So to the haters putting blame on the OP, back off.....its easy to say it was avoidable, but in reality, and the dashcam video clearly shows it, it isn't....
It actually takes about 4.5 seconds to stop when going 55mph. The jeep is an ass but mav could have started easing out as soon as he saw the jeep douche pull out the way the did giving him even more leeway to make a stop. The jeep straddles the lane the entire time and that's a huge redflag to slow down and let the situation unfuck itself rather then try to speed around the idiot.

The jeep is the root cause but this was totally avoidable.

Sponsored

IwannaMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XL Ecoboost Fwd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did the jeep rollover? At the end of the video it appears to be tipping over.

Fordwheels

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lacrosse, Toyota PU
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Glad to see that you had a video. It looked like she was stopping to make a U-turn and was watching for the on-coming traffic . . . without considering that she was blocking both lanes.
I'm still waiting for my Maverick and just fear something like this happening as soon as I receive my Maverick ... or worse, a train derailment.

mou

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Hybrid, '13 BRZ, '99 Impreza
dang, hope you walked away fine. Hopefully parts are available for repair

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All of you guys talking about pre-collision assist, AEB.. you guys are vastly overestimating the capabilities of this system. Had the jeep been in front of the Maverick and slammed on the brakes, it probably would have elicited a warning - and maybe, at the very last second - braking.

In this case, the Jeep pulled out of a side road, was in one lane, then the other, then in both lanes, the Maverick was in one lane, changing lanes.. collision avoidance systems are not intended to work in these situations and should not be expected to. I'm sure somewhere down the line this will be possible but right now it is not. Your car would be slamming on the brakes continuously from detecting passing cars, cars in turning lanes, etc.. if it worked as some of you think it does.

Remember, it is not magic. You're responsible. These systems are very good at preventing or mitigating lower speed rear-end collisions or collisions with pedestrians. They are completely useless in complex situations like this one. If you look at IIHS testing data for AEB systems, they test at 12mph and 25mph, and a large percent of modern cars can't even completely avoid something at 25mph.

Also, IMO, Jeep's fault. No excuse for the illegal U-turn.

Last edited:

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
YouTube link

Make sure you point out to the cops that she also didn't have her lane change signal on. Man, this is terrible...I've owned beaters all my life, had one accident, I'm sure that when I get my Mav that some idiot will plow into me and I'll just give up :{.

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am sure in hind site the OP would have slowed down sooner....however it appears that the Jeep did pull out and stopped to attempt an illegal U-turn. She would have seen the OP's truck coming before she decided to pull out and knowing she was going to do a U-turn. My non lawyer opinion renders a 70%-30% at fault to the jeep. Glad no one was hurt or worse.
she also didn't have her lane change signal on

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All of you guys talking about pre-collision assist, AEB.. you guys are vastly overestimating the capabilities of this system. Had the jeep been in front of the Maverick and slammed on the brakes, it probably would have elicited a warning - and maybe, at the very last second - braking.

In this case, the Jeep pulled out of a side road, was in one lane, then the other, then in both lanes, the Maverick was in one lane, changing lanes.. collision avoidance systems are not intended to work in these situations and should not be expected to. I'm sure somewhere down the line this will be possible but right now it is not. Your car would be slamming on the brakes continuously from detecting passing cars, cars in turning lanes, etc.. if it worked as some of you think it does.

Remember, it is not magic. You're responsible. These systems are very good at preventing or mitigating lower speed rear-end collisions or collisions with pedestrians. They are completely useless in complex situations like this one. If you look at IIHS testing data for AEB systems, they test at 12mph and 25mph, and a large percent of modern cars can't even completely avoid something at 25mph.

Also, IMO, Jeep's fault. No excuse for the illegal U-turn.
yep, there was nothing an avoidance system could have done - the limitations of that system are dependent about physics - there was no way this was going to be avoided.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.