BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, delete this thread and your video on YouTube.
Sponsored

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

IAAL, licensed for fifteen years. and while I do not practice in the auto accident field, (and none of this should be construed as legal advice) here's my hot take: assuming this occurred in anytown, USA, if I represented OP, he wins; if I represented jeep, she wins. If this happened in my jurisdiction, OP has a tough road to hoe because in rear-end collisions, the trailing driver is held strictly liable. So if someone brake checks me and I bang them, my fault for being to close or going too fast. Here, this would depend on if this was a rear ender or angular collision.

No matter where this occurred, there are many variables but one thing is for sure: I would not post video of me doing ANYTHING that could potentially make me liable for damages or injury to the Internet. I would be glad that I had it, hold onto it, and see what plays out. Maybe the other driver ends up admitting full liability to her insurer and you never need to use it, so nobody ever sees any contributory negligence. Maybe when the insurance company makes her do her recorded statement she continues to lie (this plus the statement to the police makes two) and you reveal it then, maybe you just give it to your lawyer or insurance company if/when she comes after you.

Anyway, good luck with things.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You have to turn the collision feature ON while parked. It doesn't come on automatically in my settings. So If it wasn't turned on via the menu...it's not functioning. Same with lane assist.. mine has a button on the side of lever..
Good point to remember!

JPH 673

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda B3000 truck Ford Maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

So sad. I was rear-ended in Nashville when returning from vacation in Florida on March 24th. My XLT just had 2,400 miles. I have an appointment for May 23 for the dealer body shop. Any good body shop is backed up anymore. I'm glad you did not have any serious injuries.

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My guess is their decision to accelerate and steer away from the vehicle probably caused the system to not apply the brake and instead only precharge the brakes incase. Bad part is even though the Jeep driver made stupid decision likely the Maverick driver will at minimum share blame if not take blame depending on the state and if the Jeep got citied for anything. This is likely the first totaled first edition with how difficult it is to get parts and the likely structural damage to the left front. Its unlikely insurance is going to rent a vehicle for months waiting for the parts and the FE hood emblem is probably gone for good with it even if they opt to repair it.
I would think Ford would have to supply replacement parts even for a first edition for at least 10 years.

Sponsored

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP, I hope you enjoy your beers home, and ignore all the keyboard warriors callously trying to rub salt in the wounds after your Mav got wrecked. Hopefully karma visits them in the form of a door ding or two, no reason to crap all over you when you are already having a shitty day.

LEDLITES

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GREENE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LX80
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Jeep clearly darts over at the last second and blocks the lane of traffic. This, along with the Jeep driver lying to police, should lead to her insurance company investing whether or not this was an attempt at insurance fraud.
15B9FA7B-1725-4BB7-910E-BB0D5E8D7CCC.png
15B9FA7B-1725-4BB7-910E-BB0D5E8D7CCC.png
At this distance he was fucked. Clearly in the lane. OP tried to evade at the last moment total fault of the jeep being a tool.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've watched the video a number of times now and decided to add my 2 cents to the general discussion.
My statements and observation (and opinion) at based on looking at video time between 2-10 seconds and this what I noticed.

There's a sign on the right side of the road indicating a entry road on the right (George St) from which the Jeep will enter the highway. So I looked up Indiana state rules about sign placement and according to the document from 2008 Warning Signs, it states that Warning signs will be place 325ft back what they are warning on highways with speeds up to 55mph.
(In Indiana, Warning signs should be placed so that they provide adequate PIEV time. The distances contained in Table 2C-4 are for guidance purposes and should be applied with engineering judgment
https://www.in.gov/dot/div/contracts/design/mutcd/pubs/a05Ch2C(Final2008).pdf)
The total time needed to perceive and complete a reaction to a sign is the sum of the times necessary for Perception, Identification (understanding), Emotion (decision making), and Volition (execution of decision), and is called the PIEV time. The PIEV time can vary from several seconds for general warning signs to 6 seconds or more for warning signs requiring high road user judgment. This is from an OSHA document I found, from 2000 so the 6 second standard might have changed since then.

I also noticed there's roughly 3 telephones between the warning sign and where the side road enters the highway. Google states the average distance between poles are 125 feet apart or 300 feet apart in rural areas. Looking at them I think 125 feet apart, which would equal out to roughly 375 feet. This also would work with the warning sign distance of 325 ft.

OP stated the speed limit was 55mph for this road, but he was going over so I'm going with 60mph. That means he was covering 88ft per second. So that would mean that if saw the Jeep pulling out at 3 second mark he would have 7 seconds until impact. In that 7 seconds he will cover 616 feet, nearly twice the distance he has available. Driver reaction time is listed at near 1 second. In the 4 second mark the Jeep is clearly entering the highway. At the 6 second the Jeep has fully entered the lane of the OP and the 7 second mark OP starts to move to the left lane because it appears the Jeep will stay in the right lane not coming up to speed, in fact the Jeeps brake light are on indicating slowing instead of accelerating. Between second 7 and 8 the Jeep has clearly moved towards the left lane. Keep in mind that reaction time is around 1 second. I don't think there was enough time for OP to react base on the what he was seeing the Jeep do. Because the Jeep pulled into his lane at a slow speed it appears his normal reaction was to move to the left lane and pass by the Jeep, however, by time mark 7 seconds the Jeep was now appearing to move towards the left lane, leaving OP 3 or less second to react, one of those seconds will be used to react. Just looking at the video I don't think the OP had time to stop safely because of the mixed signals the Jeep driver gave off. It appears the Jeep was just pulling out into the right lane, but then decided to attempt an illegal U-turn by which time OP was too close to stop or fully avoid the Jeep. In my opinion OP was more right than wrong.
This is just my opinion based on what information I could gather from the video. My observation are my own and not meant to sway anyone's opinion one way or the other. My math maybe off, I sucked at math, but I did try to make sure my equations were correct.
Lastly, as someone who's been riding motorcycles for nearly 20 years, this accident is one of the top reasons motorcyclist are hit by cars. People entering a road to make a left turn (the Jeep would have turned left if the barrier wasn't there). The number one excuse is, "I didn't see the bike". I learned that maxim from day 1 of riding, bikes are invisible to cars. I ride each day with that in mind. If I was traveling down this road as the OP was but on my bike, as soon as I spotted that Jeep I would have done two things, first is wiggle my bike thereby changing my position slightly, which makes my LED headlight move around. We humans track movement with our eyes, so by moving my headlight around I'm hoping to catch the attention of the Jeep driver. However I don't rely on that. The second thing I would already been doing is let off my throttle, which would've started me slowing down, and I have would be covering the front and rear brake ready for use, possibly even applying front brake already. I would do all of the that because I naturally would assume that the Jeep doesn't see me. My motorcycle skills translate over to my cage (car) driving. I drive like others can't see. I'm relating all of this not to sound like I'm better than OP or other drivers, I state this because of this fact, other drivers don't always see, care about you, or are concerned about your well-being. It's upon us to take care of everyone in our vehicle, be it 2-wheeled or 4.
You're opinion will vary and as a 26 year Vet I'm glad we have a country in which we can share those opinions.

Espeer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 focus, 2003 expedition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clearly jeeps fault.

tngreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
co-pilot 360...Could it have prevented this...just wondering?

Sponsored

Vinnyc123

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry, I'm glad everyone's ok.
I'd feel terrible to.

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
LOL @ "tens of thousands of miles". Drive a few more 'tens of thousands of miles' and experience will teach you that when in doubt it's always best to hit the brakes and slow it down.

Let us know when you hit your first 100k. 😆

Sometime around then you'll learn the rule of the road is 'expect the unexpected'.
I emphasized very early to my kids( before they got their drivers license) to “ALWAYS EXPECT DRIVERS AROUND YOU TO DO SOMETHING INCREDIBLY STUPID !!!” and you will have a few more seconds to avoid an impact. JAT

Zolutar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid, 21 Bronco Sport OB+
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
if there was no video, Op would take 100% fault, but having the dashcam? Jeep 100% fault, why? unsafe entry into traffic, failure to maintain lane, intention of an illegal u-turn on a highway. and the list could go on...but I think those are the big 3.
Could the Op have avoided the collision? this is debatable, there are barriers on both sides of the highway, and the op had 5 seconds from the Jeep pulling out till impact with the Jeep basically blocking both lanes to react to a stop. At 55mph (aka 90 km/h) that's not enough distance to stop.....
So to the haters putting blame on the OP, back off.....its easy to say it was avoidable, but in reality, and the dashcam video clearly shows it, it isn't....

Status
Not open for further replies.