First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 vette, 71Fiat 850, 91 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Everyone's fine, but the Wrangler driver wasn't in a big hurry to explain why she stopped in the left lane.

"He pushed me into the other lane!"
I am glad everyone is ok. In Pennsylvania if you hit the rear of another vehicle you are automatically at fault. Without being there, I personally place no blame.
Sponsored

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok, wow, I prob should have clarified. This stretch of road has a posted 55mph limit, I was not going much faster than that. This Intersection was recently blocked off to prevent this exact occurrence, but instead, most people go around the barrier, like this person did. IDK why I'm surprised by people blaming me for this, but it is what it is.

The officer on the scene, after watching the video, confirmed I was 0% at fault in his opinion.
Lawyer will disagree: “Failure to control speed” 😉

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Isn't OP liable simply because he was the one behind in a rear end collision? It's that way in my state.

Regardless, jeep driver was a tool and the accident wouldn't have happened if they had driven responsibly and defensively, but the same could be said for OP.

Last incident I was in was preventable had I been driving more defensively. It cost me a lot of money to hammer that lesson home. Sucks but that's how it is.

TB84

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mavxl
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm a retired veteran and retired law enf officer. No stones to throw.

Sponsored

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler 4xe; 13 vw gli; 21 maverick xlt
After watching the video multiple times, here are the observable facts:
- Jeep clearly enters road at ~4 seconds in the video and is impacted by Mav at ~10 seconds
- Mav driver admittedly exceeding posted 55mph speed limit (seems too fast for the road)
- Mav driver does not slow down after observing the entirety of the Jeep driver's dumbfuckery in the intervening 6 seconds before impact - actually the Mav appears to accelerate.
- In that 6 seconds until impact, the Mav would have covered more than 600 feet while observing Jeep driver continue their dumbfuckery.
- Mav driver had ample time and space to slow the fuck down when the dumbfuckery was observed in the road ahead - this is driving 101

Again, sorry you crashed and most importantly not injured, but that was an easily avoidable accident.
I dont know, feel I got to say it. I have driven 10s of thousands of miles on roads just like this one (accident free). If you go 55mph, you will get run over. 63-65 is expected. So the 'going with traffic' is established. I looked at the video and compared your notes. Ignorance abounds in how the human mind make decisions and how long it takes to execute once made. You completely assumed that the ONLY right decision is to slam on the brakes and come to almost a complete stop on a high speed highway. However, the prevailing method of dealing with traffic in this situation is the offending car in this stays PUT in their lane until all cars complete their pass and would expect all cars to OVERTAKE them as they clearly planned on stopping. For drivers in this situation, is expected for the offending car to stay in their lane until they overtake them. But the Jeep did not stay in their lane and DID NOT SIGNAL. Just cut into the left lane and in doing so, cut into the path of highway speed traffic as is it clear that is what is expected of any overtaking car. This jeep was good and it was totally on the Mav to make the pass safely. But the Jeep did not signal and cut into traffic, directly in front of the Mav. 100% jeep fault. The accident didnt occur because the mav didnt slow down when the jeep pulled out. The accident happened because the Jeep, without signaling, moved into the high speed traffic (mavs path) at a much lower speed without anytime for the mav to slow or react. YES, the accident occurred when the jeep moved to the left lane. USE those seconds and you will see there was NO time to react.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Doesn't this have vehicle collision prevention? Seems like it should have hit the brakes on its own. I had a guy stop dead in front of me while driving home from the dealer and the wife and I went flying forward. Found out about that feature real quick :)
You bring up an interesting point!

MaverickHybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry to break you bad news on top of everything else but from the video which you should promptly delete from this website, there is a pretty simple explanation. Speeding!

ToothGrinder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
New vehicles have got to be accident magnets. I’ve never had so many close calls in my life as I did the 5k miles I’ve had in this truck.
The worst part about this is the lack of inventory to replace your vehicle. I hope you get a good replacement.

Sponsored

Prostate Heaven

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
I dont know, feel I got to say it. I have driven 10s of thousands of miles on roads just like this one (accident free). If you go 55mph, you will get run over. 63-65 is expected. So the 'going with traffic' is established. I looked at the video and compared your notes. Ignorance abounds in how the human mind make decisions and how long it takes to execute once made. You completely assumed that the ONLY right decision is to slam on the brakes and come to almost a complete stop on a high speed highway. However, the prevailing method of dealing with traffic in this situation is the offending car in this stays PUT in their lane until all cars complete their pass and would expect all cars to OVERTAKE them as they clearly planned on stopping. For drivers in this situation, is expected for the offending car to stay in their lane until they overtake them. But the Jeep did not stay in their lane and DID NOT SIGNAL. Just cut into the left lane and in doing so, cut into the path of highway speed traffic as is it clear that is what is expected of any overtaking car. This jeep was good and it was totally on the Mav to make the pass safely. But the Jeep did not signal and cut into traffic, directly in front of the Mav. 100% jeep fault. The accident didnt occur because the mav didnt slow down when the jeep pulled out. The accident happened because the Jeep, without signaling, moved into the high speed traffic (mavs path) at a much lower speed without anytime for the mav to slow or react. YES, the accident occurred when the jeep moved to the left lane. USE those seconds and you will see there was NO time to react.
LOL @ "tens of thousands of miles". Drive a few more 'tens of thousands of miles' and experience will teach you that when in doubt it's always best to hit the brakes and slow it down.

Let us know when you hit your first 100k. 😆

Sometime around then you'll learn the rule of the road is 'expect the unexpected'.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

While I'm not going to defend the Jeep's awful driving, I feel like their behavior should have prompted you to drop your speed immediately. Some drivers are just morons who are unpredictable, nor know how to communicate their intentions. The rest of us have to make up for that, when possible.

Hope you get your truck fixed quickly.

Portcqb

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Lux 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Doesn't this have vehicle collision prevention? Seems like it should have hit the brakes on its own. I had a guy stop dead in front of me while driving home from the dealer and the wife and I went flying forward. Found out about that feature real quick :)
My guess is their decision to accelerate and steer away from the vehicle probably caused the system to not apply the brake and instead only precharge the brakes incase. Bad part is even though the Jeep driver made stupid decision likely the Maverick driver will at minimum share blame if not take blame depending on the state and if the Jeep got citied for anything. This is likely the first totaled first edition with how difficult it is to get parts and the likely structural damage to the left front. Its unlikely insurance is going to rent a vehicle for months waiting for the parts and the FE hood emblem is probably gone for good with it even if they opt to repair it.

Clark6

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Buick GrandNational 1996 Chevy Silverado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You have to turn the collision feature ON while parked. It doesn't come on automatically in my settings. So If it wasn't turned on via the menu...it's not functioning. Same with lane assist.. mine has a button on the side of lever..
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.