First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2020 VW Passat, 2015 Nissan Sentra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hope it's repairable. Should be a lot faster than waiting for a 2023.
Was wondering / hoping the same. If the airbag didn’t deploy that would tip the scales towards repair.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey, at least it was in front of a Dunkin Donuts, so it was easy for the police to find you!

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm sitting at home with Covid, feeling sorry for myself. And knowing my Maverick is in the carport, suddenly I feel better.

Sorry bro. No judgement on you from here. Mistakes (if any) are always easy to pick out afterwards.

The peanut gallery wants to know, did it pop the airbags?

Prostate Heaven

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Eh... Watching the video...

It seems like the OP was driving too fast for conditions (and admitted they were driving over the limit... which is ALWAYS too fast regardless of the conditions).

It then seems OP failed to yield to the vehicle in front of them and didn't even try to brake until the very last moment.

Sorry OP. IANAL but my verdict is that you're at fault somewhere between 50-100%.

Jeep may or may not have been trying to initiate an illegal u-turn, the video doesn't provide any evidence they were.

To a layman/bystander it looks like they tried to switch lanes when they saw you coming up fast on their rear end.

Had you either maintained your lane or simply slowed down this accident could have been avoided - or at least been more clear who was at fault.

I feel for you. A busted Maverick is no fun and I'll concede the Jeep driver is probably a jackwagon.

Sponsored

Wx Man

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hendricus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am sure in hind site the OP would have slowed down sooner....however it appears that the Jeep did pull out and stopped to attempt an illegal U-turn. She would have seen the OP's truck coming before she decided to pull out and knowing she was going to do a U-turn. My non lawyer opinion renders a 70%-30% at fault to the jeep. Glad no one was hurt or worse.

Last edited:

roc129

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Mazada B2300
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Doesn't this have vehicle collision prevention? Seems like it should have hit the brakes on its own. I had a guy stop dead in front of me while driving home from the dealer and the wife and I went flying forward. Found out about that feature real quick :)

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ride motorcycles and idiots pull out in front of me on the regular. I'd be dead every day if I drove like the Mav driver in the video. I've also been t-boned twice in my cars. Both times the other driver was at fault due to pulling directly out in front of me with about 1/10 of second to react. All I could do was slam on the brakes and slow down the inevitable impact. With 3 seconds to assess the situation (which is a long time, not a short time) and slow down, the Mav driver in this video demonstrated situational cluelessness and easily could have avoided the crash. No question about it.
This. Riding motorcycles you have to be extremely defensive and it's transfers over to driving. While the jeep person is a absolute douche, the mav played a game of chance not taking a more precautionary approach. Now he's gotta pay and thankfully no injuries.

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

BS.

Jeep pulls out and does not begin to accelerate to the posted speed, rather they immediately change lanes to the left and BRAKE in the inside lane on a 55 mph road in order to make an illegal U-turn.

End of story...

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This appears to be a 50/50 split. The Jeep driver who pulls out slowly to then start braking to prepare for an illegal u-turn with no signal and the Maverick for accelerating in an attempt to whip around them and not apply the brakes in-time for the accident. That seems to be the norm nowadays, especially drivers with dashcams. If you ever watch a compilation video on Youtube you will always find someone pulling out in front of the cammer. They either react by speeding up to purposely crash into them so they look like the victim or they barely stop in time and instead dedicate their energy by laying on the horn. Some will just lay on the horn and not even attempt to hit the brakes instead of, oh I don't know, reacting accordingly by stomping the brakes ahead of time and moving on with your day. Those videos have taught me to be a better driver so I never end up in situations like this. I know accidents happen no matter how defensive someone is but it sure helps avoid most accidents like this.

Sponsored

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After watching the video multiple times, here are the observable facts:
- Jeep clearly enters road at ~4 seconds in the video and is impacted by Mav at ~10 seconds
- Mav driver admittedly exceeding posted 55mph speed limit (seems too fast for the road)
- Mav driver does not slow down after observing the entirety of the Jeep driver's dumbfuckery in the intervening 6 seconds before impact - actually the Mav appears to accelerate.
- In that 6 seconds until impact, the Mav would have covered more than 600 feet while observing Jeep driver continue their dumbfuckery.
- Mav driver had ample time and space to slow the fuck down when the dumbfuckery was observed in the road ahead - this is driving 101

Again, sorry you crashed and most importantly not injured, but that was an easily avoidable accident.
The Jeep clearly darts over at the last second and blocks the lane of traffic. This, along with the Jeep driver lying to police, should lead to her insurance company investing whether or not this was an attempt at insurance fraud.
Ford Maverick I've had better nights! Maverick hit @ 1K miles 😔 15B9FA7B-1725-4BB7-910E-BB0D5E8D7CCC
Ford Maverick I've had better nights! Maverick hit @ 1K miles 😔 15B9FA7B-1725-4BB7-910E-BB0D5E8D7CCC

NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1) I am glad that no one was hurt.

2) While the driver of the Jeep was extremely clueless, this could've been avoided.

3) The main reason for my posting is this - to the exclusion of the above comments - no one else mentioned how well the Maverick took the hit. I have seen several photos of these trucks in accidents, and their structures are surprisingly robust.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Autonomous vehicles can't arrive soon enough for me. I'm not interested in blaming A or B. Humans are humans, and humans are incredibly fallible. The best of us make errors in judgement. I can't wait to set an address in my garage, sit back to watch a movie or take a nap, and hear a ding when I arrive at destination, safe and sound, every time.

TSAINTS1115

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you think an insurance company will not try to deny the Mav driver's claim due to shared negligence then you have never been in an accident.

The Mav driver had almost 3 seconds to observe the Jeep going into the left lane (and the Jeep was signaling). It also appears the Mav driver sped up when the Jeep entered the road (typical road-rage behavior - fucker pulled out in front of me so I'll get on their ass).

Again, the Mav driver's video will be used against them to prove contributing negligence and partial fault. Guaranteed.
It was 7 seconds from the Jeeps turnout until impact. Watch the clock on the bottom. On any of the versions I've watched there's no audio to listen to the engine's rpm so it's difficult to determine continuation of throttle vs beginning of braking.

If the OP was one of the drivers I ever had to go over crash determination on at my company he'd own at least 50% of the responsibility.

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really sucks to see this. Some idiot woman smacked by Mav with her door in a parking lot and took a chunk out of my passenger side rear door handle. I was really pissed but came home to see this story and... Wow.
This is why, even pre-Mav, I try to keep at least a couple car lengths away from everyone else on the road. Other drivers suck!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.