Sponsored

Is it worth having Tailgate Assist Strut? Is it worth having Hood Assist Struts from MRT?

mou

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Hybrid, '13 BRZ, '99 Impreza
The hood and tailgate are light and I do not open/close it often enough to consider the struts worth it. Even doing engine work often on past cars, I never felt the need for hood struts. Maybe I would only buy it for show or for health/safety reasons
Sponsored

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tailgate assist I like because its cheap and does what I need it too. The MRT Hood Struts I was turned off by the price and some people getting defective units causing the hood cables to snag and in turn making opening the hood impossible to open.

Vongreg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Camry, chevy 2500 HD, Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered the tailgate assist before I received my Mav. I really like the one I have on my Super Duty. Sent it back after I got my truck. The tailgate doesn’t weigh nothing.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looking for input on is it worth having the strut assists for the tailgate and the hood. Seems plausible, but not really necessary, just like Door Window Deflectors.

> Ford Accessory: Tailgate Assist is on eternal backorder and DeeZee does not list it (haha, like DUH!)
https://accessories.ford.com/products/tailgate-assist

> MRT has hood struts for $138 (standard black finish), or $198 for color (+$60 more)
https://www.shopmrt.com/2022-Ford-M...789V-d5zkti4gKGTaRv9T4pEmf96nYohoCRKAQAvD_BwE

Just wondering ....... Your thoughts?
Not sure if you're still entertaining suggestions, but the tail assist is very nice. I don't need to monitor it as it goes down. I know it will not bang into someone or something. Hood struts - Have to agree with others this is a waste of money. Not under the hood very often and using the rod is fine.

L Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LuxLariat 2.0 cactus grey FX4
Before taking delivery I was planning get the tailgate strut. After opening and closing the tailgate I decided it was light weight and much easier to operate than my previous full size truck. So i decided it wasn’t worth the cost and downside. I recommend anyone who hasn’t actually operated the tailgate to try it before ordering the strut.

Sponsored

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As said before- how heavy are these parts really? Super light…no need for assistance at all.

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looking for input on is it worth having the strut assists for the tailgate and the hood. Seems plausible, but not really necessary, just like Door Window Deflectors.

> Ford Accessory: Tailgate Assist is on eternal backorder and DeeZee does not list it (haha, like DUH!)
https://accessories.ford.com/products/tailgate-assist

> MRT has hood struts for $138 (standard black finish), or $198 for color (+$60 more)
https://www.shopmrt.com/2022-Ford-M...789V-d5zkti4gKGTaRv9T4pEmf96nYohoCRKAQAvD_BwE

Just wondering ....... Your thoughts?
Got my truck home two days ago and the first thing my neighbor did was let the tailgate slam down. I had the assist but hadn't had the truck long enough to install it. Now that I have, I believe it is money very well spent and creates a safer truck.

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am waiting for tailgate assist strut to come back in stock so that I don't need to worry about my preschooler getting hurt somehow. fifty bucks to avoid a bad situation sounds like a great deal to me

KHut

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Sportrac, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tailgate assist well worthe the $50 and easy to install. Very glad I got it...

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Very happy with tailgate assist. I would purchase hood struts if less than $100 delivered.

Sponsored

BajaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I added this to another "tailgate assist" thread, but dropping the info here as well:

Hopefully another data point on this, I just installed the Tailgate Assist from Ford, and I initially tilted the strut bracket next to the tail light (to avoid rubbing the screw, as shown in previous examples), but then looking closely, I could see the strut wasn't even near the screw head, in my case. I adjusted the bracket to be perfectly vertical/flat, and I could still see about 1/8th inch between the screw and the fat strut housing (strut installed correctly, main/fat end on top).

So, you might install the bracket flat, then slowly close your tailgate and see if the screw head is going to rub the strut housing. If it is going to rub, then just tilt the bracket. Maybe Ford started using different screws, or maybe Dee Zee adjusted the Tailgate Assist kit recently... Anyway, it works great!

The64

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I recently got the tailgate assist from a member here. I really like it. As another said, I bought it to lessen the chance of an injury with my kids. They love opening and closing the tailgate and I tell them all the time to watch their fingers. This provides a bit more protection.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
I can appreciate vendors making them available but I don't need either one. Tailgate is light and when we open the hood the prop rod is handy and a lot of people rarely open the hood anyway.
Agree,
My 68 Ranchero tailgate weighed as much as the whole Maverick! ;)
I too see no need for either.

Happy Guy 823

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Dakota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Very happy with tailgate assist. I would purchase hood struts if less than $100 delivered.
Just installed Redline hood struts. $ 95.95 includes shipping. Got a $10 discount through Panda Works.
Sponsored