Sponsored

Is it possible that my Lariat Hybrid has a 16.5 gallon gas tank?

millertyme15

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano, Chrysler 200, Jeep Wrangler
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wasn't there an issue with gas tanks at some point? Leaking? Maybe that could have caused the change in tanks?? Capacity??
Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It can be correct and be 16.5 gallons physical size at the same time.

The EcoBoost is advertised as 16.5 but people can pump in over 18 gallons.

So nothing is "wrong". The tanks are larger.

You can use 13.8 every week in the hybrid, leaving some reserve.

You can use 16.5 every week in the EB, leaving some reserve.

Clive

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interestingly, the difference between the potential tank sizes (16.5 - 13.8) is 2.7 gallons, which should be almost exactly 100 miles of use at the hybrid's 37mpg average. Could be that Ford quotes the 13.8 capacity, but provides another 100 miles of range past empty using a 16.5 gallon tank.

I am curious if the ecoboost tank is in fact larger though.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Interestingly, the difference between the potential tank sizes (16.5 - 13.8) is 2.7 gallons, which should be almost exactly 100 miles of use at the hybrid's 37mpg average. Could be that Ford quotes the 13.8 capacity, but provides another 100 miles of range past empty using a 16.5 gallon tank.

I am curious if the ecoboost tank is in fact larger though.
I think you were typing as I was typing. EB has about 2 gallons extra capacity also.

Sponsored

fordtoughwait

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jonas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 S10
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd like to sneak about a gallon of gas into my neighbors hybrid every night and then listen to his wide-eyed stories of 300 mpg! I have the eco, and his mpg is all he talks about! :)

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd like to sneak about a gallon of gas into my neighbors hybrid every night and then listen to his wide-eyed stories of 300 mpg! I have the eco, and his mpg is all he talks about! :)
I'd steal a gallon so the bragging stops. Then tell him they fixed a software glitch OTA and see his face drop when the thinks the bottom fell out.

Plus free gas!

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wasn't there an issue with gas tanks at some point? Leaking? Maybe that could have caused the change in tanks?? Capacity??
That was due to the off-site company performing spray-in bedliner application drilling out the bed drain holes and hitting the gas tank which is directly under.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

With all this speculation, lets summarize:

The computer range calculation uses 13.8 gallons as the standard. Your MPG x 13.8 = your range to zero.

Zero does NOT mean out of gas.

Fuel remains past MTE 0 but the amount can vary, so use it only in true emergencies.

The physical tank space is about 16.5 gallons because more than one driver has pumped in these many gallons at different pumps, in different states.

You can burn 13.8 gallons every time. If you wish. You won't run out and be stuck. The MTE 0 point has significant buffer built in.

You can fill with more than 13.8 gallons without "topping off". Topping off in the hybrid variant isn't really practical anyway with the capless filler system.

I have pumped 14.8 gallons to "first click". No one can say that is "toping off".

13.8 is a nominal, expected, engineered full fill up from MTE = 0. But this is an average number, not an absolute value. Some variation is normal, and should be expected.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It occurs to me (speculation) that the difference in published (13.8) and actual (16.5) may be MOSTLY about customer satisfaction, and customer complaint avoidance. Under promise, and over deliver = no complaints and no lawsuits.

I spent a lot if time in the Rav4 world.
It was the opposite.

Toyota published a 15 gallon tank size.
No one could re-fuel with more than 12.5 +/- and 1000's of people complained. Even filed suits.
Toyota relented and came out with an expensive recall program.

Makes sense now doesn't it?

In addition, the computed MPG calculation, we all know, can be a little off. 5% off would not be unusual.
Thus, to CYA wouldn't you want a fuel tank with AT LEAST 10% extra fuel than the computer thinks, and people would come to rely on?

Last edited:
Sponsored

David F

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Reminds me of that old episode of Gomer Pyle USMC where Sgt. Carter buys a used car and every night they sneak in an extra gallon of gas and a month later they start to remove a gallon every night.

6591E7

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It occurs to me (speculation) that the difference in published (13.8) and actual (16.5) may be MOSTLY about customer satisfaction, and customer complaint avoidance. Under promise, and over deliver = no complaints and no lawsuits.

I spent a lot if time in the Rav4 world.
It was the opposite.

Toyota published a 15 gallon tank size.
No one could re-fuel with more than 12.5 +/- and 1000's of people complained. Even filed suits.
Toyota relented and came out with an expensive recall program.

Makes sense now doesn't it?

In addition, the computed MPG calculation, we all know, can be a little off. 5% off would not be unusual.
Thus, to CYA wouldn't you want a fuel tank with AT LEAST 10% extra fuel than the computer thinks, and people would come to rely on?
I believe this is the answer. My wife has a Rav4 Prime. Can't squeeze more than 12.5 in it. I've ran it down so low that the gas engine shut down and I went to the gas station in EV.

2022 pushed behind 2023's

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not the point.
No people tampering with "tabs" here.
The point is that they will be a reserve in the tank for air, if the air side has any sort of leak (say the tab on the VW's didn't make a good seal) then it will allow the tank to be overfilled.

Do you KNOW how a Maverick tank is exactly built?

If so, you should have responded with that. Otherwise, my point is valid.

Does it matter? If its a air leak in that system, hell yes! Maybe your Maverick spewing gas everywhere is "doesn't matter" to you.

Canealis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have an XLT Hybrid and filled up for the first time at 10 miles to empty and said I put in 13.99 gallons. Seem accurate with the fuel reserve.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've filled up 8 times now and even at 20 miles to E, my Lariat Hybrid has never held more than 14.6.
Sponsored